Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50,s Half Belts, new Aero and original:

Hepville

One of the Regulars
One thing I have noticed is that it is hard to find zipped sweat shirts/sweaters/cardigans that aren't too long. I don't like the sweater hanging out appearance when layering underneath. Just my preferance.

So why don´t you go the custom way and let it be made for you?

Great jackets here!

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
So why don´t you go the custom way and let it be made for you?

Great idea! I wonder who can make a custom zippered sweatshirt/cotton based sweater without a hood, short enough to layer under a Highwayman or Halfbelt without it hanging out below the jacket. Every one of these I see in stores/catalogues has a hood, is a pullover or hangs down way too far.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
What do you guys think the original jackets looked like new? Just curious. We're comparing old to new jackets here. They don't get that look overnight, or in a few years...

I hear you. I just like the cut and qualities of this vintage one more. For instance, on the original, the half belt near the middle of the back looks cooler to me. I also like the buttons on the sleeve. I like that the leather is less heavy on the original. These have nothing to do with age.

Last edited:

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Great idea! I wonder who can make a custom zippered sweatshirt/cotton based sweater without a hood, short enough to layer under a Highwayman or Halfbelt without it hanging out below the jacket. Every one of these I see in stores/catalogues has a hood, is a pullover or hangs down way too far.
Guess there must be a tailor in your area for this...but if your interested in a classic 1940s cut sweatshirt I know someone.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Jag66 - What is the hot water shink technique you use? Your Half-Belt looks like a perfect fit!!!

Here is what I did with the Aero. I soaked it in hot water for 5 minutes or so. Then I put it in the washer to spin the water out, along with 8-10 dampened towels. Then I put it in my Maytag Nautilus dryer, on the lowest setting, with the towels, and turned on the dryer. Every 10-12 minutes, I would remove it, and turn it inside out. I would try on the jacket when it began to get dry, to see how the size was. After about an hour or so it was dry enough to remove. At the end, before it was completely dry, I removed it and placed it on a broad hanger to completely dry.
The leather was then treated with Picards leather conditioner to put some softness back in the leather. The stiffness of the jacket was removed. The finish was a bit duller, but the jacket definately feels better to wear. And if fit much better. On A2 jackets the only drawback is that the zipper tape crinkles up. That didn't happen with the halfbelt. The lining came out fine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats