Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50s Avant Garde Hair

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Hello!
So, we're having a hair/makeup show at school for our graduation and the theme is Rock Avant Garde. Every graduate has to get models and pick 2 different eras to represent. I chose 50s and late 60s.
For the most part I know what I want them to wear and how their makeup will look, but I'm having some trouble with the hair for my 50s model. Since it has to be 50s, rock & roll, and avant garde at the same time, I really have no idea how to mix them all together.
Can anyone post any pictures or does anyone have any ideas of what I could do? I'm looking for some inspiration from you ladies!!!

My model has Bettie bangs and the length of her hair is past her shoulders.
I appreciate the help!

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
I've seen some (what I thought were) the coolest pictures from the 40s and 50s of 'futuristic' hairstyles etc. VERY avant-garde i would say. My googling is currently not turning up what I was looking for though

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Hmm, I think I know what you're talking about but I think it was a video wasn't it?
I'll have to look for it. :) Thanks for reminding me!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I've definitely done a bit. You can see some of my portfolio here, though I don't have everything up.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/2611

The most recent was a play on the beehive which I tilted instead of centering and used light backcombing to create a more tattered texture.
For the 50's you could do an homage to the 50s Barbie and really extend the shape beyond all rhyme or reason.

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
Tigerlily said:
Hmm, I think I know what you're talking about but I think it was a video wasn't it?
I'll have to look for it. :) Thanks for reminding me!

Oh maybe it was video, not pictures! Good point, I never thought to scour youtube.

rubyredlocks, I remember seeing this one before - http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/11290869, I love it!

I also love the one with the hat and the shiny purple gloves. Cool sculpted hairstyling!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
get_atomized ~Thank you!that one's actually me in a wig that I styled.
The other one you described is the askew beehive that I was describing.

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
Oh wow that is a wig, I remember you mentioning that when I saw the picture the first time. Cool, I have lots of synthetic wigs I would not be able to do that to, but I have one long human hair wig i am suddenly itching to try to style that way. I need a wig stand to do it I think though

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
WOW!!! Great work, rubyredlocks! :eusa_clap Those are all definitely very inspiring. Thanks for posting them! I can't even pick a favorite, they're all amazing. And thank you for the suggestion!

Lollipop, thank you for the video! I've never seen that one before. It definitely gives me some ideas. The video I mentioned above was the one that's on the Related Videos on the right side called "Clothing of the Future."

I'm thinking of going for something BIG but still very polished. I'm going to add some broken vinyl pieces as decoration in the hair!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Great find on that video Lollipop! Loved it. Amazing how I can see things we still use today. It's the finish that changes the look.

Tigerlilly- i am so glad that you found them inspiring and helpful. can't wait to see your results.

get_atomized- that's actually a synthetic wig,but it was wavy and did not look great down. however, i did see potential in putting it up. i've found the best way to style a wig is on a living head and let them hold onto whatever isn't secure. my poor husband has been known to "volunteer" for this several times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy