Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50's Sock Hop Attire

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
I am going to a "Sock Hop" in February and I need some input from you ladies. I'm planning on wearing a pencil skirt, saddle shoes and bobby socks. I'm thinking a sweater set witht the shell tucked into the skirt and the cardigan draped over the shoulders with a sweater clip to keep it from falling off. I have mid back length hair and I don't want to do the pony tail so, I'm thinking waved in front with it pulled back on one side (I wear it side parted now). I could use some help with any handbag ideas and other accesories. I do have cat eye glasses that I can wear for short periods that night too (wrong Rx).

If you think I should do something else, don't hesitate to comment. I'm open for all ideas.

Thanks girls...you are all great.

SayCici

Practically Family
I would suggest upgrading that pencil skirt to something with a lot more fullness, especially if you plan to dance, but otherwise your ideas are great! Keep your handbag to a small size, and the glasses aren't necessary, especially if they impair your vision! A short pearl necklace or a brooch would be cute.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Try these threads:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=41685&highlight=dance

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=33023&highlight=dance

I agree with SayCici about the fuller skirt--full cut skirts and slacks are beautiful when you dance. If you do much dancing, you'll probably shed the cardigan. (The set is cotton, not wool, I hope, for the sake of your comfort.)

If you must wear the glasses, please consider getting some plain glass put in them.

A suggestion: bring a bag to put your cardigan, purse and street shoes in at the dance if there's no place to put them.

Enjoy!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Thank you ladies so much.

My guy and I are not dancers really. I was going with a pencil skirt a la "Rizzo" because I didn't want to do the poodle skirt thing. I figure there will be a sea of those. I'll rethink it anyway.

I do have a Marine Corp sweetheart pin that I can use. I also have a vintage circle pin that was my mothers. I'll decide which to use.

I wanted to do this period correct and not cheesy. LOL.

Thanks again.

SayCici

Practically Family
Grnidwitch said:
I wanted to do this period correct and not cheesy. LOL.

Cheesy in these circumstances would be a felt skirt with a poodle appliqué. ;) Not all full skirts look like that! The Rizzo idea is cute, how about a (faux) leather jacket?

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
SayCiCi,

I've got the real thing....belted, zippers, the whole kit a kaboodle. LOL

I'm still trying to decide what type of skirt. Alot of the YouTube vids I've been watching show full, with crinolines and straight and snug (not overly tight, those girls loved to dance). I even called my mom and she said she wore full skirts. He wedding suite was very fitted and beautiful.

I guess I was thinking more college aged girl than high schooler.....

My fiance is going wearing a bowling shirt with embroidery on the back. More gearhead than biker. I gues a gear head girl would wear something a little more girly.

Thanks for all the help. I'll keep y'all posted.

DandyRags

New in Town
Grnidwitch said:
I am going to a "Sock Hop" in February and I need some input from you ladies. I'm planning on wearing a pencil skirt, saddle shoes and bobby socks. I'm thinking a sweater set witht the shell tucked into the skirt and the cardigan draped over the shoulders with a sweater clip to keep it from falling off. I have mid back length hair and I don't want to do the pony tail so, I'm thinking waved in front with it pulled back on one side (I wear it side parted now). I could use some help with any handbag ideas and other accesories. I do have cat eye glasses that I can wear for short periods that night too (wrong Rx).

If you think I should do something else, don't hesitate to comment. I'm open for all ideas.

Thanks girls...you are all great.

I can picture one of those square box/lucite purses with an outfit like yours.

DandyRags

New in Town

roselily

One of the Regulars
My mother wore felt skirts (No poodle) with up to 3 crinolines underneath, and the widest, tightest belt she could find. Alot of peter pan blouses, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo