Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

80 Pierce Arrows?

Flivver

Practically Family
In 2007, the Pierce Arrow Society had an 80 car show in Williamstown MA which I attended. Seeing 80 Pierce Arrow vehicles from turn-of-the-century bicycles to the last passenger cars of 1937 is an experience I won't soon forget.

For those of you within easy shot of this year's show, I would strongly recommend it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Pierce-Arrow bicycle

Pierce Arrow was possibly the greatest car ever built in the USA. Their old headquarters building in Buffalo is where I now get my paycheck from. It's a subsidiary of Buffalo State College, the Center for the Development of Human Services. They are very appreciative of the heritage of the building and there are fine pictures of Pierce-Arrow automibiles displayed prominently all over the building. The Pierce-Arrow club has had several photo ops for its members in front of the building.
Many years ago I was passing throught a town in Massachusetts (don't remember which one, unfortunatrly), and stopped with my friend at a bike and skateborad shop.
One of the owners had just found, at the local dump, a 1918 Pierce Arrow bicycle. And what an unusual specimen it was. It had a very elaborate set of springs in the seat, but the most unusual feature was that instead of a standard bike chain, it had a drive shaft, just like a BMW motorcycle. It had that well known arrow emblem on the front, Pierce-Arrow, Buffalo, NY. And it had been salvaged from the scrapyard!

Flivver

Practically Family
The George N. Pierce Company started out making bird cages then switched to safety bicycles during the bicycle craze of the 1890s. Pierce bikes were often equipped with premium features like shaft drive, spring front fork and cushion frame. They're highly collectable today.

Pierce Arrow automobiles were best known for their unique (and patented) headlight-in-the-fender design. While regular headlamps were often an option, most Pierce customers chose the distinctive fender-mounted headlamps.

During their heyday, Pierce also manufactured trucks and busses. The Pierce Arrow Parlor Coaches of the 1920s were a very luxurious way to travel in the Roaring Twenties.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My boss has a 1955 Seagrave fire truck powered by a flathead V-12 that was a Pierce-Arrow design that Seagrave bought the rights to after Pierce-Arrow went out of business. I have read that Seagrave continued to build that engine up until 1970, not bad for an early 1930s design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt