Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9mm or 45cal

Landman

One Too Many
Renault,

I've been thinking about buying one of those for awhile but I have never seen one in person. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of it once you get your hands on it. Considering I only live about 70 miles away I too like the idea of having Fredricksburg, Texas on the pistol!

I have two of Colt's WWI Reproductions and they are beautiful. I have one I shoot and the other I stashed away. The one I shoot came with one of the nicest "out of the box" trigger pulls on any of my Colt's. If you can find one of those they are the closest new pistols to the originals I've seen. Unfortunately because they were a limited edition they are pretty pricey now. When I bought mine I think I paid around $900 for them. Most I've seen on Gunbroker are going for around $1,200 now.

After a quick search here is one. The pictures don't do it justice though. The finish is a beautiful dark blue.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=284400510

Baggers

Practically Family
Thanks, Renault, I'll be looking forward to seeing what you have to suggest.

Here are a couple of shots taken a day or two after I brought it home:

CimarronFireArmsM1911008-1.jpg

CimarronFireArmsM1911007-1.jpg

As you can see, the panel is fairly monotone with no grain showing, except for a spot around the upper grip screw. The one on the opposite side matches. Otherwise, with that deep polished blue, it is a very sharp looking piece. Again, I really like that rollmark.

I picked up my second Cimarron earlier this week. Finally began hankering for a Single Action Army and went with their 7th Cavalry repro with the 7 1/2" barrel. Again, an extremely nice looking firearm for the price with nicely grained plain walnut grips, a color case hardened frame and polished charcoal blue on everything else. And since it's in .45 LC, quite appropriate to this thread, too! ;)

Now I get to start assembling the rigs for both!

I have 2 9mm, a Baretta 92fs & a S&W 39-2.
My buddy is a big .45 fan but has lots of other calibers as well.
I try to keep my calibers common so I can buy the same bullets for multiple guns.
Wheel guns, I stay with .38 Specials & .357 Mag while the autos as you see are 9mm.
I get the hollow points for protection loads & practice with as cheap of rounds, even reloads, as I can find.
I've ordered a Taurus PT111 for concealed carry, the 12 round capacity.
I do have a couple of .45 Long Colts for Cowboy Mounted Shooting but need to convince my horse....

Renault

One Too Many
We've got one of the new Colt 1911's at the shop for $1250. I just don't wanna pay that much for a handgun right now. I'll keep all posted on the thing when it comes in. But I don't think I'll be dissappointed after seeing Baggers up close! My co-worker worked at STI and is a 1911 guru so I'll let him get into it for a review. I don't do much with handguns other that the occassional job or two. My forte is the classic long guns....

Renault

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Well I broke down today and asked the Boss-man to order me up one of Cimarron's new 1911's with a lanyard loop mag. It's about the closest thing I can find to a bone-fide 1911 short of ordering one of Turnbull's nice $3900 models!

http://cimarron-firearms.com/Tactical/1911.htm

They are an Armscor gun. I attended an event last weekend where the 1916 Punitive Expedition was our theme and had a whacking good time. This is probably as close as I'll get to Great War reenacting, as this was here in our backyard. Personally, I think the true and pure 1911 is about a good as it gets for a combat automatic handgun. In it's stock form, without all the 21st century bells and whistles. Love them walnut stocks too!!!!!
Renault
Heck Fire Renault, hear I was, fat dumb and happy, and you go and post the Cimarron sight. I really like the Colt conversions, something I could shoot, unlike the originals. Then there's the Winchester 73 in 45LC, much nicer then an originals. Pain!

Landman

One Too Many
Baggers,

If you don't want to risk damaging your original grips then double diamond walnut grips are very common and can be found on EBay for not much at all. Probably around $20.00. I would just buy a pair without the poly finish and put your originals away in case you ever decide to sell your pistol.

Baggers

Practically Family
Thanks for the tip, Deacon. I remember people writing about using oven cleaner on an old Lee Enfield collectors web site I used to frequent. It was used by several people there for cleaning the wood furniture. My method was to run it through the dishwasher while the wife was away. Did a great job of deep cleaning half century old grease and dirt and popped out shallow dents and dings as well.

But after looking at that photo I posted, I may just sit back and wait a bit. It's not looking as bad to me as it did originally and I may just see what good honest sweat and wear might do over time. If it really bugs me that much I can always do what Landman suggested and just get another pair.

Stearmen: I know what you mean about that Cimarron site. Now I'm thinking I may have to add a lever action to the collection to keep the Colt SAA company. I DO know that the next time I'm in Fredericksburg I'm visiting Texas Jack's and bringing a wad of cash with me!

Last edited:

Story

I'll Lock Up
I attended an event last weekend where the 1916 Punitive Expedition was our theme and had a whacking good time. This is probably as close as I'll get to Great War reenacting, as this was here in our backyard.

What, no pics in a separate thread over in the WWII Folder?

cklos

Banned
9mm or .45 ACP? My answer is both....and .380, .357 Mag ( .38 cal/ special), and .44Mag (44 cal/special) and .40 S&W...........common handgun ammo............don't get me started on rifles and shotguns....just learn to shoot your firearms (no matter what caliber) at MOVING targets, find what's comfortable...........even then, stress works against you. Use either reliable vintage, or modern handguns.....and quality factory or qualified hand loaded ammo.....

Buggnkat

Familiar Face
My method was to run it through the dishwasher while the wife was away. Did a great job of deep cleaning half century old grease and dirt and popped out shallow dents and dings as well.

Oh man I hope wife doesnt read the forum! :D

Cant say too much on that I belong to that club too. Doesnt do a bad job though I have to admit. We used to soak our M16s in the parts cleaner vats, right up to the point the bluing started coming off, then we caught hell. Have to admit we had cool rifles for the parade!

Renault

One Too Many
Okay, got the limb removed from the roof of the house yesterday. Minimal damage, whew! Wierd storm!

So I got back to work today and picked up my new 1911.

Not a true 1911 but close enough. Hammer, safety, sights, and grip safety are A1. But I can fix most of those issues. Not gonna worry about the sights or grip safety, But I have a correct hammer and safety. Otherwise the fit and finish is superb! Very satisfied. Baggers, the wood on mine is closer to an oil finish. Not all glossy....... I will keep them the way they are. Looks good on my original belt and in the repro Audley holster. If I can I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance.

Renault

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Fun time at the range today. One of the guys had a 1916 built 1911 there and I had brought my 1918 built 1917 S&W. Somebody broke out a timer, so we decided to have some fun. We wound up shooting against one another for accuracy and time. I wound up winning on accuracy, mostly thanks to the sights I believe, and he was a little faster due to reloading. We called it a draw, but I think I had the better gun as his hand was actually bleeding from the hammer bite. We are going to try it again when I bring my Luger and Broomhandle next time.

mason569

New in Town
1911 All that way it is my carry gun, the .45 is my main round, even in BALL form it will knock a man down with one hit...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran