Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

blethook

One of the Regulars
Do NOT give your A-1 Jacket the Pecard treatment...

...unless you want it much darker than what it is now.

The leather is a bit more prone to staining, in my opinion.

On mine I've seen small dark spots which I'm not too sure how I got them :)

They don't bother me as I consider them wear & tear, but I wouldn't do it on purpose... The hide should be ok as it is without additional oil, etc. Leave it be & enjoy wearing it!!

Take it easy,
B.

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks Blethook for this advice. I wouldn't mind if the jacket turned darker after a Pecards' treatment. Main thing for me to do so is protect it against the rainy weather we have here so often.
Anyway I will think about you advice though.
Cheers,
Andy

JanSolo

Practically Family
Nice jacket!! The leather seems to be very pliable and comfortable. The body length is really good on yours. Many A1s seem to be a bit short for my taste. The sleeves also have a decent length on your latest acquisition. Now give it a good Pecard's spa and it'll be ready for the worst Dutch (and German...let's say Frisian) weather.

PS: Shitty weather here as well! I'm 100km from Enschede btw...

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks Jan,

What do you think about Blethooks' advice not to give the jacket a Pecards' treatment? He think the leather will be too dark...
Cheers,
Andy

andy richards

Practically Family
Gents,
I am about to give my ELC A1 jacket a Pecards' dressing. As posted earlier by blethook, this would result that the jacket will become more dark...
Are there any of you gave your A1 capeskin such a treatment? Maybe pics before&after?
Thanks,
Andy

rumblefish

One Too Many
:cool:Looking good Andy.

On mine I've seen small dark spots which I'm not too sure how I got them :)

Take it easy,
B.

Yes, mine too. Sometimes they show up as tiny thin lines looking almost like pen marks. I find a little talc gently pushed and rubbed on the spot does the trick. Sometimes they just disappear after a few days.[huh] I only bothered with two that I thought were unsightly. Overall the hide looks great.

I'll try and post a photo of mine, it's gotten over a year's wear.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Very fine looking A-1 Andy and the jacket looks immeasurably better than in the original images. After a long trawl, these really have convinced me that an ELC A-1 might fit the bill.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Andy,

Why not apply the Pecard dressing on a small section of the jacket where it's least visible to start with? Somewhere on the inside?

I remember trying it on a sample piece (from Eastman) & it left the hide considerably darker.

Personally I don't think it'd be a good idea to wear capeskin in downpours.

The capeskin is not designed to take as much abuse as the HH, I would imagine.

Good fit btw :)

Gents,
I am about to give my ELC A1 jacket a Pecards' dressing. As posted earlier by blethook, this would result that the jacket will become more dark...
Are there any of you gave your A1 capeskin such a treatment? Maybe pics before&after?
Thanks,
Andy

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I am now buying Kent Kochheiser's ELC A-1 and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Kent took these photos of the jacket and he has kindly allowed me to link to them (as they are of a far higher quality than I could achieve with my limited photographic ability).

http://kentk.smugmug.com/Military/A-1-P ... 9632_46uAc

Thanks for the opportunity Kent.

Cheers

Ian

rumblefish

One Too Many
My ELC A-1

It's about two years old now.
IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

Forum statistics