Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Moon Flight, 1929

4195213669_fd0a07d399_o.jpg

No, just kidding, it's a Keystone bomber crew under Lieut. Odas Moon. They sham-bombed New York City at night - a first - as part of aerial maneuvers in May, 1929. L-R, they are Lieuts. Charles T. Skow (radioman), Moon (pilot), Eugene L. Eubank (copilot), and John P. Richter (observer and refueler). The Keystone also carried a civilian navigator (the Army Air Corps did not yet train navigators as such).

This is one of the best group photos I have found of airmen using the A-1 jacket. Each wears the early variant with waist buttons (no snaps), layered over V-neck sweaters. The well-used A-1s show the distinctive graining and stretch of capeskin and the button front's tendency to gap.

The pic is notable as well for the achievements of these pilots. "Odie" Moon had piloted a tanker plane as part of the marathon Question Mark flight earlier in '29 – an operation apparently repeated on this May flight. He was an early strategic bombing instructor before alcoholism led to his grounding and premature death in 1937, at the rank of major.

Charles Skow had flown in the first crop-dusting experiments earlier in the '20s. Gene Eubank, a fellow bombing instructor of Moon's and later CO of the 19th Bomb Group, is remembered for introducing the 1943 film Bombardier. John Richter, in 1923, had been the first ever to refuel an airplane in flight.

Here's one i'm selling right now in Classifieds. (hint) An original from the 1930s in size 44. Immaculate.

The front, highlighting the classic patch pockets with buttoned flaps. See the bottom for these buttons, guys. They are spectacular buttons. I suspect they're Corozo, but i'll be getting them under a microscope tomorrow to have a look-see. Also showing the mandarin-type collar, and the cuffs. And the obvious knit waistband unlike the one above. There are two vent grommets at each armpit, to the front of the side seam.

30sA1-1.jpg

3 panel rear and 2 panel arms. Interesting mismatching of colour on panels, especially on the collar back it's quite evident.

30sA1-2.jpg

A close-up of the collar area. You can also see the knit wool lining. That hole is where, i think, a label was attached. There is another hole at about the right position to suggest these were where the ends of a rectangular label were attached. See below for close-ups of the zipper; it's a good 'un. The collar is lined in almost corduroy material. It isn't really corduroy, but it's getting there. Ribbed and appears to be cotton.

30sA1-3.jpg

Pocket flap. Lovely buttons.

30sA1-4.jpg

Here's the front of the zipper. Puller and stopper box are a quite early Lightning variant. I can post pics of a slightly later Lightning, where the slider looks more like a Lightning, rather than this one that looks much more like a Talon. The stopper box is also different from the later Lightnings, which usually had vertical ribbing.

30sA1-5.jpg

And the rear. Look at the huge curved portion at the top of the slider. This is where the one-piece cast slider was folded over to complete the engineering process. What a piece of work!

30sA1-6.jpg

An attempt to give more detail of the knit cuff. In green, black and white elasticated material.

30sA1-7.jpg

And the cuffs. These are very nicely constructed, and lined with the same cream wool as the rest of the jacket. Look at that little securing button on the interior where the button is attached. Nice touch!

30sA1-8.jpg

30sA1-10.jpg

AND FINALLY! Those buttons. Absolute works of art. Really beautiful orange buttons throughout (both pocket and cuff buttons match), with an apparently natural swirl pattern that suggests to me that they're Corozo. Lovely. Shows up the grain of the leather quite nicely too.

30sA1-9.jpg

bk

newsboy

New in Town
Hey Mark, how much would you charge for an goatskin A-1? I think we're just about the same size.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Wearing a pretty salty A-1 behind his desk is Lieut. Carlton F. Bond, Air Reserve Corps, CO of Pearson Field, Vancouver, Wash., and the 321st Observation Squadron from 1929-'33.
bond_cf_portrait.jpg

Note his distinctly unmilitary watch and dramatic cigarette case.

Officers of the 321st on maneuvers, 1933. Bond is 4th from r, top. Note the reservists' mix of A-2s, A-1s, and civvy jackets.
5218497726_29cf228ee9_o.jpg

Pearson first landed a balloon in 1905 and still serves general aviation, making it the US' oldest operating airfield.
im678.jpg
ca. 1930

Last edited:

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks Blethook. I was about to order one new directly from Aeroleather of Eastman, and just stumbled over this wonderful example and could not resist...
Andy

rumblefish

One Too Many
Good for you, you won't be disappointed!
I'll wear mine all winter long; with a tweed overcoat till I get to the office and it stays on all day, unless the the building gets stuffy.

You darn well better post some pictures.;)

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I'll add my Yes! Well done! to blethook and rumblefish.

I bought an Aero second-hand a few years ago. A great jacket. Even my wife thinks it looks great. You will enjoy wearing it every time you put it on. Congratulations, and yes, please, pics when it arrives.

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks guys!
This jacket is made of capeskin. According to Eastmans' website it is "butterly soft. I understand it is not that heavy and thick like FQHH, but how about quality of this type of leather? Does it wear fast? And how about maintaining this leather? Also Pecard dressing?
Yep, I sure will post pictures!
Thanks,
Andy

andy richards

Practically Family
Gents,
Last week my Eastman A-1 came in, finally made some pics for you guys.
I love the fit of this jacket. The capeskin leather is very supple and wears like a merino wool sweater of flanel shirt.
This weekend I will give it one coating of Pecards' leather dressing, will post pictures after doing so.

Measurements are:
Size 42, armlength incl cuffs 25", front armpit to armpit 24", back armpit to armpit 22.5", backlength incl waist 25.5".

Cheers,
Andy

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran