Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 help please

reflected

New in Town
Hello,

I own a 1978 goatskin Avirex A2 jacket and I just love it. It fits perfectly ,the leather is very smooth - however, it's getting really old and I feel bad wearing it every day and exposing it to further damage.

So I decided to buy a new one. I've heard Avirex has become "Cockpit USA". I've also heard you guys aren't big fans of it, but I just can't afford to spend more than 350 bucks :( (Maybe a bit more)

So I'm planning to buy this one:
http://cockpitusa.com/store/product.php?productid=17394&cat=420&page=1

It's goatskin too, and I'm happy with my current Avirex. Also, people say it's not the current XXIst century baggy/ roomy style, but the WWII close fit. Is that true? I'm quite thin and I hate baggy clothes. Also, my avirex is size 40, my chest is 39-40. So should I go for a size 40 Cockpit A2? Will it be the same?

There's also this one:
http://cockpitusa.com/store/product.php?productid=17334&cat=420&page=1
I reckon it's the same cut, only it's made of horsehide. I've heard it's stiffer than goatskin. What else should I know?

Any advice about the size/ fit and leathers would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Greg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Horsehide was the first choice of A2 makers.
Goat came in later in the war.
Both are tough and can stand a lot of use.
I have both - but prefer the horsehide. Because it's the original hide.
And the grain and the feel is better.
But it's a personal thing and you might feel differently.:)

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
A-2

reflected,

Cockpit makes a great A-2. Not a reproduction stitch for stitch yada yada. But, their materials and construction are top notch. Are there better, more historic A-2s? yes For under 300.00 no. US Wings and US Authentic use IMO cheesey hardware but good leather. If you like goatskin over horsehide (I do) there are a few affordable A-2s in russet goatskin which also was used in WWII A-2s. It is also a known fact that goatskin was used in prewar contracts. There are a few folks here who could spit out the contacts and years and manufacturers' without referencing them. Not me, but there were prewar war goatskin A-2s. Flight Suits makes a great russet goatskin A-2, but it will cost a little more than a Cockpit A-2.

Goatskin vs horsehide that is huge can of worms to open here. There are threads upon threads as to which is "better" or more original. For me, most horsehide jackets are too stiff for the first year of wear. Goatskin is easily broken in. Both will last for years, a lifetime or more.

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
I own two Avirex A-2 jackets from the 80's-90's. They were OK and I got a lot of use out of them, but they are no match for US Wings, US Authentic and the like, let alone the top tier makers like Eastman and Goodwear. I personally would stretch a little for a Gibson and Barnes historic A-2 in either horsehide or goat. I owned one of them in HH and it was a beautiful jacket, accurate enough and reasonably priced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy