Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 (or bomber-style) jackets with chest pockets?

rolando_ol

Familiar Face
I know this is heresy for many of you who like real repros, but I'm wondering if there are nice A-2 style - or similar bomber, slim military fit - leather jackets out there with chest snap pockets? I know some older schotts had them, but don't know the model or name to accurately search. Thanks!

Edward

Bartender
Not currently in their catalogue, but a civlianised A2 with a chest pocket sounds like the sort of thing that would be right up Aeriel Star's street:

http://aerialstar.com/catalogpage1.htm

IMO, the one with the slash pockets would look great with a chest zip pocket (might be a bit much, too busy of a look, for one with the more regular patch pockets?). Could be worth dropping them a line.

Otherwise, of the established A2 makers, Aero might be open to such a mod on one of their regular A2s. Worth asking. It's something I always wondered whether somebody somewhere did as a field mod back in WW2.

I saw one on eBay. a Civvy from the 50's. Yes Edward, it had slash pockets....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121298248689

Last edited:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
In a few days I'll be getting not an A2 but definitely a "bomber jacket." I went for inside pockets on each side (wallet and cell phone). If Alan from Johnson Leather thought it was a bad idea, he'd have said so (and I'd have moved to Plan B).

thor

Call Me a Cab
I have a LW A-2 with 2 inside wallet/map pockets (custom order direct from Stu at Lost Worlds; great work and quick delivery!). BEST A-2 I've ever owned.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Now that is a truly unique flight jacket! Imagine the look on the faces of all the sage-green Nomex clad aviators if someone showed up at briefing in an olive-green horsehide A-1! Priceless!

Did you read this at the bottom of the page? "This A-1, with early version chest pockets, was built for a Naval aviator on his way to the Persian Gulf war zone, Summer 2004. Good luck, Commander, and good hunting!"

thor

Call Me a Cab
Yes, very intriguing! I'm sure the Navy gives it's aviators some leeway when it comes to uniforms (especially when they're deployed) but would they allow a green horsehide A-1 in the cockpit?!?

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg
This one is from Bill Kelso; I bet any of the custom jacket makers can add a zipper front to their A-1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR