Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Review, Leather Coats Etc.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
IMO this jacket is too large for TXFlyGuy. The sleeves tunnel quite significantly, the back seems too wide falling over the waistband. A size 38 would be a better fit.

Yes, I concur! A size 38R has been ordered, will be here next week. I'll keep the one that fits best. Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
The fotos tell the story. I'm a borderline M / L size wise (5' 11", 174 lbs), a 40 or 42 jacket fits me just fine. Of course, it all depends on the cut of the garment. I have tried on size M jackets that fit spot on, and others that were on the small side. And some L size jackets are way too generous, while others are just right. You can see that the 40R pictured fits OK, but still leaves some room for a sweater or other layered clothing.

For those who are familiar with the G&B product line, this is an identical fit to my G&B 42R A-2.

I'm 5' 11", 158 lbs., so the 38 ought to be in the ballpark, and at this price point you found I'm willing to gamble. This will be my first A2, so you guys be gentle........

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I'm 5' 11", 158 lbs., so the 38 ought to be in the ballpark, and at this price point you found I'm willing to gamble. This will be my first A2, so you guys be gentle........

With their 30 day return policy, and free shipping, you can't lose!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I am extremely easy on my clothing items. I still proudly wear a pair of casual dress shoes purchased in 1987. They look like they just came off the store shelf. This jacket will be here longer than I am...along with my Schott, G&B, Alpha, etc.

Let us know in five years if you were right.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Let us know in five years if you were right.

Even a poorly made jacket, A-2 or other style, would last me a loooong time. These jackets are pretty much "special occasion" wear jackets. Being in Texas, sometimes a coat is a waste of money. And I'll rotate my jackets as there are 4 in my collection of military style flight jackets. Like I said, these jackets will be here long after I'm gone...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Even a poorly made jacket, A-2 or other style, would last me a loooong time. These jackets are pretty much "special occasion" wear jackets. Being in Texas, sometimes a coat is a waste of money. And I'll rotate my jackets as there are 4 in my collection of military style flight jackets. Like I said, these jackets will be here long after I'm gone...

I see now how it would be hard for you to measure the quality of a jacket. Reminds me of when folks say "this original A2 was really well made, it still looks great 70 years later". Why wouldn't it? It was only worn for 5 years in seven decades. :D

IXL

One Too Many
I'm going to use mine as a knock-about jacket up here in blizzard-like Oklahoma. Maybe strapped to the back of my motorcycle for when the weather changes. (Oh, who am I kidding: I've got 20 other jackets that can fill that roll......)

And even if it doesn't turn out to be as long term durable as some of the much more expensive garments, I'm pretty sure to at least get my monies worth, and I see great value in having a "user" that I won't have to worry about. I'm kind of stoked over the whole proposition, actually.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I see now how it would be hard for you to measure the quality of a jacket. Reminds me of when folks say "this original A2 was really well made, it still looks great 70 years later". Why wouldn't it? It was only worn for 5 years in seven decades. :D

You do not need to beat up a jacket to tell if it is well made! Like my 1987 leather shoes that get regular use, and still look like new. They actually shine better today than when new. I do not beat anything up. Having been around the block more than once, quality in items, as well as people, is quite easy to discern without anything or anyone taking a beating.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You do not need to beat up a jacket to tell if it is well made! Like my 1987 leather shoes that get regular use, and still look like new. They actually shine better today than when new. I do not beat anything up. Having been around the block more than once, quality in items, as well as people, is quite easy to discern without anything or anyone taking a beating.

Who said anything about beating? My point is quality can be gauged by how something endures over time with regular wear. That's a traditional viewpoint. Your current jacket apart from being too big has established nothing more than a promising beginning. Let us know in 5 years if you were right. But this is going in circles we have different views about quality. So let's see the photos of your 38 when it comes. If it doesn't look baggy like the current one you might interest others in this option.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Who said anything about beating? My point is quality can be gauged by how something endures over time with regular wear. That's a traditional viewpoint. Your current jacket apart from being too big has established nothing more than a promising beginning. Let us know in 5 years if you were right. But this is going in circles we have different views about quality. So let's see the photos of your 38 when it comes. If it doesn't look baggy like the current one you might interest others in this option.

As soon as it arrives, you will be the first to know! The 38 should fit spot on.
The size 40 was ordered based on my experience with Cockpit USA, where their A-2 had a perfect military fit on my frame. Guess they are not quite so generous with the sizing. Worst case is the Leather Coats Etc. A-2 will make a great beater daily wear and tear jacket. One that can get wadded up in a suitcase, or an airline overhead bin, and won't cause me to lose sleep over minor wear issues...you know, scrapes, scratches, etc.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Something else to ponder...fit is a very personal and somewhat subjective thing. My wife actually likes this jacket, but it felt a bit generous to me.

The masses might actually prefer a jacket with a bit more room to allow layering. I appreciate the critical feedback here as it helped in the decision to go with the 38.

IXL

One Too Many
My jacket just arrived and I'm quite pleased. Ordering a size 38 for my normally 40/42 frame was definitely the way to go. It does not pull at me anywhere, but I wouldn't want the sleeves to be any shorter; maybe I'm just used to longer-sleeved motorcycle jackets, as my wife tells me the fit of this garment is fine. I don't believe there will be any "cuff tunneling" at all. There are inside breast pockets on each side and the left side also has two nice pen pockets sewn in.

Thanks again for making us aware of this jacket opportunity, TxFlyGuy!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
My jacket just arrived and I'm quite pleased. Ordering a size 38 for my normally 40/42 frame was definitely the way to go. It does not pull at me anywhere, but I wouldn't want the sleeves to be any shorter; maybe I'm just used to longer-sleeved motorcycle jackets, as my wife tells me the fit of this garment is fine. I don't believe there will be any "cuff tunneling" at all. There are inside breast pockets on each side and the left side also has two nice pen pockets sewn in.

Thanks again for making us aware of this jacket opportunity, TxFlyGuy!

My size 38 just arrived also...a much better fit than the 40. I'll post a pic later on. Great jacket. Great price. Who says you can't get a bargain anymore? Ha!

Glad you are happy with yours!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
What this jacket is not...it is not a perfect WWII A-2 repro, with side entry pockets, rayon lining, interior pockets, side panels, etc. But, it IS an absolutely well made A-2 (USA) that rival G&B for overall quality. 95% the same as a G&B at 50% the cost! It does not get much better than that. The price on this at $223 even beats out the knock-off imports.

OK...promise not to laugh (at least not out loud)!

P1010303.jpg P1010302.jpg P1010301.jpg P1010300.jpg

thor

Call Me a Cab
Not bad, TXFlyGuy! Does the jacket have one inside pocket or two? Do the photos represent the true brown shade of the leather? Color (particularly brown) can vary greatly in photos depending on lighting conditions.
Enjoy your jacket!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Not bad, TXFlyGuy! Does the jacket have one inside pocket or two? Do the photos represent the true brown shade of the leather? Color (particularly brown) can vary greatly in photos depending on lighting conditions.
Enjoy your jacket!

The color is what you see here...a chocolate brown. 2 inside pockets, plus two pen pockets. Waiting on my custom leather patches from Sean Collins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes