Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A classic returns

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Four pocket jacket... works as a field suit piece or as a sport jacket.

gable.jpg

-------------------->
d5xu.jpg

And the new one from Express\/
This jacket would fit right in with the originals.
Click on the the khaki jacket in the middle... it's a belted back too.
http://www.expressfashion.com/styles/mens.jsp?groupId=16

Baggers

Practically Family
Looks very nice

Of course, I'm a sucker for anything with a bush jacket cut.

How do you know it has a belted back? I couldn't find a second image showing it, just the "zoom in" feature.

And it's only available in the khaki cotton? It also looks prewashed, I wonder what the fit is like.

Cheers!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Baggers said:
Of course, I'm a sucker for anything with a bush jacket cut.

How do you know it has a belted back? I couldn't find a second image showing it, just the "zoom in" feature.

And it's only available in the khaki cotton? It also looks prewashed, I wonder what the fit is like.

Cheers!

I saw it in person... it's a belt back.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Matt, I know you are a staunch advocate of higher arm openings; but looking at the Gable photo I notice the extensive bunching-up in the armpits, with numerous wrinkles radiating out over the upper biceps. I suspect this is caused by armholes that are cut too high; especially for someone, like Gable, with very muscular shoulders and arms.

The Express V jacket is very interesting indeed. The mitered seams across the chest is a particularly authentic touch; but I note that it lacks epaulets and thus I would take issue with the appellation 'military' jacket.

A few months ago, I had the good fortune to find a (1940-50's) vintage cotton-khaki bush jacket, authentic (British?) government issue, with the original military laundry mark on the inside. It is professionally tailored, very form-fitting, with mitered seams across the chest, precise waist supression via multiple vertical seams in the front and back, and a self-fabric belt (leather buckle missing).

Matt and/or Root, do you think your readers would be interested in seeing a photo of this garment, or is it more appropriate for a 'militaria' forum?

Regards, --Jack

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
I'll show the jacket; but it will take a few days for me to get out and dust-off the accouterments (khaki riding breeches and field boots) and arrange for the 'photo shoot'. When all is ready, I think I'll start a new thread. Matt, Root &/or Paddy, which would be the most appropriate forum in which to place it? Suits? Jackets? GA&A?

Regards, --Jack

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Put it...

...in the "BUSH JACKETS" thread of course...

A '40s-'50s issue British Bush jacket would not have had a leather covered buckle-
plain brass or brass coloured metal- 2 prong or friction type.

What is the year of manufacture on the nomenclature label and also, what is the description of the garment on the label?

An Army issue jacket professionally tailored...? was it professionally altered do you think?

Interested to see it Wolfman-

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner