Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A confession...

Feraud

Bartender
It is 99 degrees in NYC and I have decided to skip wearing the usual hat. I realize when the temperature is over 95 I am doing more adjusting, removing, and wiping down the liner of my hat than wearing it! It is a lot of work for a short commute to the job!
It is my own fault for not getting a straw hat to wear. Now I am lidless.:( To think in the old days I would have been stoned for going out of doors without a hat.
I will have to live with wearing a hat 360 days in a year. ;)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
One day hatless won't make a bit of difference. ;)

It's 102 in Boston today and windy! How to explain that one! I actually wore a vintage felt Borsalino today. I just really enjoy that hat.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
It's been so humid here for the past few days that I've pinned up my hair and cannot wear my hats over all the clips. I'm lidless, too. Glad to know I'm not the only one here!

Steve

Practically Family
You're not alone Feraud. It's been in the low nineties and humid as a nightmare down here in Florida, so I've had to forego hats myself for a while.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Felts or Straw?

Good grief! I hope you aren't talking about wearing a FELT hat!!!!:eek:

You should wear a STRAW Panama hat. It keeps your head cool, and was made for HEAT!

Felts are put away at the end of spring here in the SF Bay Area....and not brought back until almost middle of October. We usually get our first rain around the week of Halloween.

You can wear a felt here in the summer, if you are on the Oakland and San Francisco side of the hills. FOG. and COLD.

But here in the Diablo Valley, STRAWS only, FELTS will kill you. Except sometimes going out at night.

Rosie

One Too Many
I don't wear hats yet but, I did not don my gloves the past few days :( it's too darn hot. I did carry them about though as though I had just taken them off.

Feraud

Bartender
jake_fink said:
As long as you're not wearing flip flops we can still be friends.
It's a deal! ;)
flip1bi9.png

Andykev said:
Good grief! I hope you aren't talking about wearing a FELT hat!!!!:eek:

You should wear a STRAW Panama hat. It keeps your head cool, and was made for HEAT!
Yeah, I am still wearing a felt hat... But it is a lightweight one! I know it is no excuse. I am going to scrounge up a straw hat this weekend.

Naama

Practically Family
All this complaining about the hot weather! Over here, I'm so glad, it already cooled down! Yay! But strangely, all the people are still dressed like it's steaming hot or something, don't know, do they just throw there warm clothes away as soon as the sun comes out?

And, I think, It wasn't that horrible if you'd go out without a hat(?) I've seen pics and movies where tehre where man without hats on the streets! Actually, I've never seen a pic from my granduncle with a hat on [huh]

And don't forget, Flip-Flops are BAAAAAAAD!

Naama

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Paisley said:
It's been so humid here for the past few days that I've pinned up my hair and cannot wear my hats over all the clips. I'm lidless, too. Glad to know I'm not the only one here!
Parasols!!
Here, when May comes around, you start seeing women sporting dainty parasols. A popular Mother's Day gift is a dainty and tasteful parasol.
I should get a pic up of mine:)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It gettin COOOOOOL in the citay. SO much so that Im wearing my wool jackets again. Ah, living by the ocean :)

But when my big hair is too much for my neck, I pin it up and stick a huge flower in it. Looks lovely.

LD

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Our heat has temporarily broken, and we're back down into the high 90s. More importantly the humidity has dropped! The nights have gone back to the mid-seventies, which means as soon as the sun goes down I can open all the windows and enjoy the cool night. I like the windows open so I can hear the coyotes calling.

My straw is getting pretty beat this year. I'm looking forward to the cooler temps so I can wear my new Open Road!

Rosie

One Too Many
LaMedicine said:
Parasols!!
Here, when May comes around, you start seeing women sporting dainty parasols. A popular Mother's Day gift is a dainty and tasteful parasol.
I should get a pic up of mine:)

*squeals with delight* I LOVE
sc1053tp.gif
parasols! I bought a few and have been using them and more than a couple of ladies have stopped and asked me about them. They are so feminine.

Michaelson

One Too Many
A suggestion.... if you remove the liner from the hat, you'll reduce the held heat in your felt hat by many degrees. I've done that on my AB beaver felt fedora, and where I could NOT wear it before in our hot, humid Tennessee heat, the hat is now wearable, simply due to the liner being removed.

If you watch any old movies, take note of mens hats when removed and held in their hands. I watched an old 'Shadow' movie last night from 1937, and none of the hats worn had liners installed.

Granted, nothing can replace a straw in summer, but......Try it. It works.

Regards! Michaelson

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It's true: none of my vintage lightweight felt hats have linings (and they never did). Indeed, some 19th century/early 20th century top hats and bowlers were made with small ventilation holes at the top.

Look closely at the grey lightweight fedora in the picture below. You can see some small ventilation holes in the side of the crown:

1930sEsquire084.jpg

Michaelson

One Too Many
I asked Art a while back if he's able to duplicate these vent holes yet. He told me 'no', but it's an artform that deserves 'rediscovering'. (grins)

Regards! Michaelson

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran