Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The shed got a new roof

LostInTyme

A-List Customer
A couple of days ago, my shed/barn got a new roof, installed by a contractor. I hand built the shed from a plan about 35 years ago and hammered every nail, cut every board and did everything myself. These days, I am lucky to be able to get up and walk around. Anyway, I am banned from going on the roof after a bad fall last year. So, now when I need something done, I just start looking for contractors that aren't out to confiscate my savings account.

IMG_4662.jpeg

So33

One of the Regulars
My backyard shed I did about 28 years ago. Over the years added extensions to 3 sides. 12x16 base size. Opened walls on two sides. My man den.

Attachments

• 57C375C8-70E4-41E5-9CC1-A977463405A0.jpeg
    57C375C8-70E4-41E5-9CC1-A977463405A0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
  • C78F3B67-9EB2-473F-B7DA-530EC8D9769F.jpeg
    C78F3B67-9EB2-473F-B7DA-530EC8D9769F.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 55

Brandrea33

One Too Many
A couple of days ago, my shed/barn got a new roof, installed by a contractor. I hand built the shed from a plan about 35 years ago and hammered every nail, cut every board and did everything myself. These days, I am lucky to be able to get up and walk around. Anyway, I am banned from going on the roof after a bad fall last year. So, now when I need something done, I just start looking for contractors that aren't out to confiscate my savings account.

View attachment 525698
That’s a very fine looking shed. I truly hope you heal up and can get back to swinging that hammer… you’re obviously good at it.

LostInTyme

A-List Customer
I am, sort of, healed up. One result of the fall was a dislocated sacroiliac joint. I walked around with it for almost a whole year and then went to physical therapy. They immediately found my problem, got the joint back into position
and now I am exercising and stretching to keep it in place. It's a struggle, having been out of place for such a long time, but when it is in place, my pain level drops to very low, from very, very intense.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My shed, former piggy barn, built brick on brick by grandpa in 1955, new roof about 20 years ago.

Sh1.jpg

Storage room with entrance to cellar and attic.

Sh2.jpg

My little workshop.

Sh3.jpg

Sh4.jpg

Cooking machine, occasionally still in use for heating the shack and cooking.

Sh6.jpg

Bugguy

Practically Family

View attachment 525698

I'm also banned from ladders... several years ago I was wiping down a wood-paneled wall with Liquid Gold and was overcome with the fumes. I smashed by zygomatic arch - a.k.a. cheek bone. At least my eye stayed where it belongs. At this point I'm getting too old to heal and can't afford broken bones. Probably good that I'm banned, but inconvenient and expensive.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Sewing cabin.jpg

This is the cabin that I had built for my lady. She whiles away many a happy hour in there. Dress making is her passion and very good at it she is too. I have put up many a photo of the clothes that she has made for me, not least a wardrobe full of Aloha shirts. A she shed it is not, I got the disapproving look when I called it that.

I still climb ladders, but whenever I do I remain mindful of the hazards. I generally take it one rung at a time, in both directions.

I’ve increasingly hired out tasks I might once have tackled myself. And, truth be told, I should have gotten into that habit earlier. There are things to know about this kind of stuff that I don’t know, but at least I know that I don’t know, and I know that I don’t have enough time nor patience nor available hard drive space to learn them.

Ignoring one’s very real limitations rarely ends well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner