Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A cool train trip into the past

CoffeeDude

One of the Regulars
They ought to run that train the entire length of the west coast. Well, the entire westcoast of the continental US anyway. That way I could arrive at the next QM gathering is style.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Another train journey

In the UK, regular steam-hauled excursions are organised by the Princess Royal Class Locomotive Trust behind 1938 Stanier Pacific 6233 'Duchess of Sutherland', which pulls the Royal Train when her Maj. decides to take to the rails. Here she is alongside the canal near Heyford with some nice narrow boats:
JW_46233atHeyford_250507_JPG.jpg

And here on a steep gradient in fine steam against a blue English sky:
6233_Bramshall_FC2.jpg

Last week my lady and I took a trip behind her to Holyhead along the magnificent North Wales coast line. Here is a Welsh station sign with a very long name:
Llanfair.jpg

The 1920s Pullman coaches she pulls are amazingly luxurious and palatial. I can thoroughly recommend a trip for anyone in the UK for a short time.

Alan

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Alan, can you give me details please.

I'd love to do one of these old train trips as a day out one day. I think there's a Settle to Carlisle one? And also someone mentioned one from Newcastle to York[huh] And then there's your one...all details welcomed. Thanks.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
We used to have a vintage train ride from Houston to Galveston. It was called The Texas Limited. Unfortunately the business did not last long. We loved it. Vintage cars too.

M8

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Nice one.

Me and my Dad did some train rides in Wales and the South of England in 2000. Mainly obscure,narrow guage rail, which is in his field of interest.
It was a kind of honeymoon- my Wife and I got married, then me and my Dad went on holiday.

We went to Snowdonia and up the mountain, rode on the Blaenau Ffestiniog, which was interesting. Of course, we stopped in at Pertmeirion whilst in Wales.

Have you been to 'gogogoch then, Alan?

B
T

Actually, Ms. ITG, barbershops were standard equipment on most railroads' "flagship" trains like the 20th Century, Broadway, Super Chief and some of the other top-tier all-Pullman runs during the "Golden Age of Railroading". IIRC, the Century still was running with one in the club-car all the way up to '58.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Blaenau Festiniog

BellyTank said:
Nice one.

Me and my Dad did some train rides in Wales and the South of England in 2000. Mainly obscure,narrow guage rail, which is in his field of interest.
It was a kind of honeymoon- my Wife and I got married, then me and my Dad went on holiday.

We went to Snowdonia and up the mountain, rode on the Blaenau Ffestiniog, which was interesting. Of course, we stopped in at Pertmeirion whilst in Wales.

Have you been to 'gogogoch then, Alan?

B
T

Ah, the 'Little Trains of Wales'. National gems.You father has taste.
Yes, I have been to LanfairPG Many times. Can anyone pronounce it and translate it?

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
PADDY said:
I'd love to do one of these old train trips as a day out one day. I think there's a Settle to Carlisle one? And also someone mentioned one from Newcastle to York[huh] And then there's your one...all details welcomed. Thanks.

Paddy,

Yes, PRCLT do tours on the Settle - Carlise line. We have done it several times - the Ribblehead Viaduct is tremendous! A fine opportunity to dress 1930s. On the Holyhead trip my lady and I sat with two WW2 veterans, one of whom had won the Stelvio Pass Hillclimb in a Frazer Nash just after the war. Priceless stories! See www.prclt.co.uk for a schedule.

Alan

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Alan.

I'll follow that up Alan, thanks for the information.

Martin - many of my family (including Uncle Joe, SOE) are from Blaenau!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy