Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A custom suit!

Lonny

One of the Regulars
I am thinking of getting one made.

But I have a problem...
The fabric I would like, would be white or cream with tiny black stripes going down...but everywhere I go I am told this fabric does not exist. But I assume it is just not very common, especially in this city of mine(Winnipeg) haha.
And is 500-600 bucks good for a tailored custom three piece suit?

Thanks guys! :D

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Lonny said:
I am thinking of getting one made.

But I have a problem...
The fabric I would like, would be white or cream with tiny black stripes going down...but everywhere I go I am told this fabric does not exist. But I assume it is just not very common, especially in this city of mine(Winnipeg) haha.
And is 500-600 bucks good for a tailored custom three piece suit?

Thanks guys! :D
I don't know about that particular fabric, but $500-600 is good enough in Japan for a basic-grade, 100%-wool suit, made to measure domestically from domestic stock. Bespoke (true "custom") tailoring would tack on about a $500 premium, and they'd probably be unwilling to work with the same grade of fabric unless you brought it to them specifically, adding on another $500 for the top-quality imported stuff.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about custom tailoring in Canada could help you with the specifics...

Lonny

One of the Regulars
boushi_mania said:
I don't know about that particular fabric, but $500-600 is good enough in Japan for a basic-grade, 100%-wool suit, made to measure domestically from domestic stock. Bespoke (true "custom") tailoring would tack on about a $500 premium, and they'd probably be unwilling to work with the same grade of fabric unless you brought it to them specifically, adding on another $500 for the top-quality imported stuff.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about custom tailoring in Canada could help you with the specifics...

Thank you Boushi! :D
This guy I am going to is said to be the best tailor in the city, he's done costumes for movies and stuff, specifically the film Capote, and I've had clothes tailored by him before for fair prices, so I think I'm going to go ahead and get my first suit made! :D

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Any fabric pattern you can imagine can be made to exist...for a price. You could always get it custom woven, but it would proably be pretty expensive.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Here is a link to an outfit I have used with good results, providing you give them very clear instructions. They travel Australia, North America, and Europe about four times a year.

Go to this site and look for this link:
Elite Collection - Super 120s Fine Wool with Cashmere in Colored Pinstripe 1.2 cm wide ( Price : $ 225.00 )

There is a photo there of a swatch that matches your description. These guys don't update the site very often, so the fabric shown may or may not be available, so I suggest that you write to them to check.

They haven't announced the dates and cities for their March trip through the US and Canada, but there is a form there you can complete to get on their mailing list. They don't send mail more than a few times a year, so I don't get spam from them myself.

Winnipeg is a fair distance from the cities I remember being on their list, but one of the prices you pay for living in city in the middle of the North American continent is that you are pretty far from other cities. The closest city I remember from their last tour was Minneapolis.

Lonny

One of the Regulars
KILO NOVEMBER said:
Here is a link to an outfit I have used with good results, providing you give them very clear instructions. They travel Australia, North America, and Europe about four times a year.

Elite Collection - Super 120s Fine Wool with Cashmere in Colored Pinstripe 1.2 cm wide ( Price : $ 225.00 )

There is a photo there of a swatch that matches your description. These guys don't update the site very often, so the fabric shown may or may not be available, so I suggest that you write to them to check.

They haven't announced the dates and cities for their March trip through the US and Canada, but there is a form there you can complete to get on their mailing list. They don't send mail more than a few times a year, so I don't get spam from them myself.

Winnipeg is a fair distance from the cities I remember being on their list, but one of the prices you pay for living in city in the middle of the North American continent is that you are pretty far from other cities. The closest city I remember from their last tour was Minneapolis.

Thank you very much! But the link is not working for me. Sorry.

And I was reading the thread, the custom tailor disaster; that is so bad, just from buttons... :(

But I stopped by the tailor today to look at some fabrics and he had pretty much what I'm looking for, but in linen. Is there a super big difference between the two?
As in, what sort of suit would I be left with if I chose linen over wool?
I know nothing about fabrics as you can tell. :eek:

Thanks again, guys!

Lonny.

cptjeff

Practically Family
And certainly, light color suits are traditionally linen, since the color and fabric were both practical considerations in the summertime.

Lokar

A-List Customer
Linen is also notorious for creases. Unless you've got a valet to press your suit daily, it won't be super-crisp (although most modern suits with the "super-xxx" wools crease easily too...)

However, the wrinkles are part of the charm of linen...

Lonny

One of the Regulars
Sounds good! :D I wouldn't mind a silk blend linen suit!

So, today I went down to the tailor, who is out of town until the 19th I believe. He's out on some sort of humanitarian mission to Vietnam. Anyways, I was flipping through their fabric books and found the perfect linen! I wish I had a picture I can post, its exactly that I was looking for and I am excited to have my first suit made. :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm but this is the type of casual Summer suiting one selects when they have all of the basics covered. Just sayin'. [huh]

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
KILO NOVEMBER said:

Thanks for the Link they are here in town next week!

Perth, Western Australia - 19th February (noon onwards)
Medina Grand Perth
33 Mounts Bay Road,
Perth, WESTERN AUSTRALIA 6000

This is only a minutes walk from my office so will make an appointment for after 5.00pm, may also enquire about having that, tie belt polo which coat I crave, made up.

model141.jpg

Lonny

One of the Regulars
Sorry to revive this thread guys, but I just got back from the tailors!

I was looking at dormeuil fabric, which I hear is pretty good, but I know nothing about suits or fabric, but I found the perfect fabric for the suit, I wish I had a picture of it, but it is white with small black stripes, in a "tropical" fabric, so it is super light and smooth, I really like it.
But in the end, to have it made into a 3 piece suit, the tailor told me it would come out to about 1750 to 2000, maybe more.

Is this too much?
He also told me that if I could find the fabric cheaper, somewhere else he could work with it for cheaper.

Is there anywhere online where I can find cheaper fabric of good quality in the colour I am looking for?

Thanks guys, its very much appreciated. :)
Lonny.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
My thoughts...

Lonny, Dormeuil fabrics are truly superb, and yes I believe his pricing on that suit is correct, and actually sounds a bit low for a true bespoke suit, one here in the States would be more.

One of the problems tailors always face is fabric sourcing. In order to carry a "line" of cloth (from Dormeuil, Zegna, Loro Piana, Barberis, Holland and Sherry and others) , a tailor must pay a fee for the initial sample books of cloth, and then usually has a minimum order amount required to continue carrying the line. Or he would have to pay the fee all over again. So unless he sells enough, it can be very expensive to display the cloth options. And finding a "one-off" cloth is more difficult. Some fabric dealers aren't necc. willing to work with an unknown client/individual for just a one time order.

On the other hand, a fabric like you seek should be readily available in varying colors and weights for Spring production, which is in full swing now.

Good luck to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff