Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A defining moment in American History

renor27

One of the Regulars
Over a glass of wine the other night @ a sidewalk cafe the discussion of a ( one ) defining moment in American history can up.

I thought the action at Little Round Top, on the second day of Gettysburg (2 July 1863), when then-Colonel Chamberlain and the 20th Maine held the extreme left flank of the Union line against the Confederate attack was that one moment.
what say the rest of you?

panamag8or

Practically Family
renor27 said:
Over a glass of wine the other night @ a sidewalk cafe the discussion of a ( one ) defining moment in American history can up.

I thought the action at Little Round Top, on the second day of Gettysburg (2 July 1863), when then-Colonel Chamberlain and the 20th Maine held the extreme left flank of the Union line against the Confederate attack was that one moment.
what say the rest of you?

Wow, it's hard to pick just one, but it is probably much more subtle than one would think. A piece of legislation here, an invention there... small things have a way of changing things in big ways.

As far as Little Round Top, the Union would still have won the war, regardless of how Gettysburg turned out. And, as a southern boy, just know how hard it is for me to admit that.lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It's very difficult to pick just one moment but I've always been a big fan of the Louisiana Purchase.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let's face it...

THE defining moment in American history is the ratification of the Constitution of the United States of America. That one moment in our history and in the history of the world is a melding of political, philosophical, and spiritual principles that is miraculous, to say the least.

Second to that, the ratification of the first ten amendments to that great document, The Bill of Rights.

Without that, all else pales and seems as minor footnotes in American history. For it is the Constitution that created this United States, this Constitutional Republic in which American history unfolds.

Now, that's not politcal expression or opinion - that's fact!

-dixon cannon

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The moment Henry Ford's first Model T left the assembly line. Soon, the world would shrink, wages would grow, the economic landscape change, and the middle class was born.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
A couple come to mind.

Lee's surrender. Carlisle Indian School (with Jim Thorpe in the backfield) trouncing Army. And Black Friday turning the our economic system upside-down.

Richard

Valhson

One of the Regulars
Dixon Cannon said:
THE defining moment in American history is the ratification of the Constitution of the United States of America. That one moment in our history and in the history of the world is a melding of political, philosophical, and spiritual principles that is miraculous, to say the least.

Second to that, the ratification of the first ten amendments to that great document, The Bill of Rights.

Without that, all else pales and seems as minor footnotes in American history. For it is the Constitution that created this United States, this Constitutional Republic in which American history unfolds.

Now, that's not politcal expression or opinion - that's fact!

-dixon cannon

Three cheers and a +10 here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW