Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Thedi Buffalo Cafe Racer - fit advice needed

Sionnach

New in Town
I have to say this crazy stuff... Like don't spray your jacket with water to try to fix a problem with how it fits...

These are M2M jackets at premium price.
Send the jacket back. It will never be the right fit, and the maker is saying this. Plus your fault.

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
My friend, you're working yourself into a frenzy by the looks of it.

I believe OP has explored all avenues at this point - looks like returning this jacket is not feasible.
We had discussions as to why the back piece looks off, and the maker himself explained the reason why along with a possible fix to reshqpe the back.

At this point the state of the thread is:

xOeJM6.gif

Last edited:

Sionnach

New in Town
My friend, you're working yourself into a frenzy by the looks of it.

I believe OP has explored all avenues at this point - looks like returning this jacket is not feasible.
We had discussions as to why the back piece looks off, and the maker himself explained the reason why along with a possible fix to reshqpe the back.
Well first, is there anyone besides me saying to send the jacket back? Because I don't see this, nor that it isn't possible.

He/s,,he has a contract with Thurston, not Thedi, as it stands.

The maker told OP it was his own fault for ordering the wrong jacket. Like don't order a jacket with that back unless you want that back. Go back and read what was written. Ask yourself whether you as OP would have as much access to the right info, as to what you're saying should have been known.

I'm telling OP to send the jacket back to Thurston. Before doing anything to it. I think this is great advice because that jacket will never be the one intended, and the maker says as much.

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
Well first, is there anyone besides me saying to send the jacket back? Because I don't see this, nor that it isn't possible.

He/s,,he has a contract with Thurston, not Thedi, as it stands.
If you read their store policy, you'll see why that is tricky:
There is no exchange/return on custom items, except that an item may be exchanged under the following conditions:

1) The custom body and/or sleeve length measurements differ substantially from the original custom order specifications. Please note that our custom orders are guaranteed to fall within .5 inches of order specifications.

2) The custom item is defective and cannot be repaired by Thurston Bros. The term "defect" does not cover variations in color, texture or grain in the leather.
It's tough to argue that the jacket is "defective" because of this issue. It's not like they screwed up the back - just incompatibility with the OP's neutral posture. Not saying he shouldn't try, but seems unlikely Thurston will accept that as the reason for being defective. Worth a shot though.

Not trying to defend Thurston here (personally haven't used them), but that is their stated policy. Unfortunately, those are the terms and conditions that were agreed to.

On the plus side, OP can still use this jacket for riding. Nothing wrong with it zipped up.

Sionnach

New in Town
If you read their store policy, you'll see why that is tricky:

It's tough to argue that the jacket is "defective" because of this issue. It's not like they screwed up the back - just incompatibility with the OP's neutral posture. Not saying he shouldn't try, but seems unlikely Thurston will accept that as the reason for being defective. Worth a shot though.

Not trying to defend Thurston here (personally haven't used them), but that is their stated policy. Unfortunately, those are the terms and conditions that were agreed to.

On the plus side, OP can still use this jacket for riding. Nothing wrong with it zipped up.
I didn't actually read any of Thurstons policies. I only felt like intervening because nobody else stepped in to help OP deal with OP receiving a jacket and not liking it and hearing nothing useful.

Just FYI... no one said OP measured wrong.

Like what is it exactly to order M2M?

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars

Sionnach

New in Town
There's a quote out there that sums this up:

Plenty of threads on here about the process, even specific to Thurston bros. Read up.
What you're saying is unreasonable. It's mad.

Imagine yourself in this scenario. You see a picture on the website. You give measurements... how would you possibly know it isn't the right back for your usecase/desire?

There is no intimation OP got it wrong. But at same time no option for OP either.

Not many seem to care where OP ends up with a very expensive jacket.

Is this the way? Because why wouldn't you just buy a regular on the shelf jacket.

Mister Rivets

One of the Regulars
Teddy is a master at his craft.
I have done exactly what he told the op to do soak the collar on my jacket and shape it, He was right
I just soaked another jacket I bought used because the neck was tight.

It's a motorcycle jacket not for fashion

Sionnach

New in Town
I have done exactly what he told the op to do soak the collar on my jacket and shape it, He was right

If you do this and you're right, you're right
If you do it and you're wrong, you have a garment you can't return because you deformed it.

That jacket will never fit OP the way it was imagined to fit, as in the way someone else shared a pic. This is bottom line.

Fonzie

One Too Many
If you do this and you're right, you're right
If you do it and you're wrong, you have a garment you can't return because you deformed it.

That jacket will never fit OP the way it was imagined to fit, as in the way someone else shared a pic. This is bottom line.
The bottom line is that you’re unwilling to stand corrected.
Hang around and you’ll learn a thing or two, there’s plenty of knowledge to be taken from the folks around here if you’re willing to listen and stay humble.
Your choice.

Sionnach

New in Town

There are people who have gotten great jackets. A few people haven't.

Most people are not riders nor are these jackets advertised as such. I doubt OP was thinking of his jacket that way.

Point is if this is the kind of hassle or required knowledge to access such a jacket.

Again I have to stress thinking about people spending their money and what they end up with.
The bottom line is that you’re unwilling to stand corrected.
Hang around and you’ll learn a thing or two, there’s plenty of knowledge to be taken from the folks around here if you’re willing to listen and stay humble.
Your choice.
What? Did you read the same thread?

This guy is complaining that when the jacket unzips, it tents around him. Theodoros's explanation was that it was a feature and he should have known better.

Am I crazy or will that jacket never fit like OP wants it to fit, like there's no amount of stretching that will fix the back.

You're attacking me like I'm arrogant or something but rather either it went over my head or youre making excuses for a maker you have on a pedestal. OP deserves to pay money and get a jacket that makes him happy.

Hopefully you old timers still believe in such things.

Fonzie

One Too Many
No one is attacking you as far as I know.

I didn't actually read any of Thurstons policies. I only felt like intervening because nobody else stepped in to help OP deal with OP receiving a jacket and not liking it and hearing nothing useful.

Just FYI... no one said OP measured wrong.

Like what is it exactly to order M2M?
You have admitted that you didn’t read the Terms and Conditions that the OP agreed to when he bought the jacket from Thurston and disallows him to return the jacket because he doesn’t like it, not because there’s anything wrong with it.

Returning the jacket is not an option, but somehow you insist that he should do that, which doesn’t really help him.

Everyone else here is trying to help him with potential solutions, as returning the jacket isn’t one.

Sionnach

New in Town
No one is attacking you as far as I know.

You have admitted that you didn’t read the Terms and Conditions that the OP agreed to when he bought the jacket from Thurston and disallows him to return the jacket because he doesn’t like it, not because there’s anything wrong with it.

Returning the jacket is not an option, but somehow you insist that he should do that, which doesn’t really help him.

Everyone else here is trying to help him with potential solutions, as returning the jacket isn’t one.
You're right. I never read Thurston's T&C. I guess I just assume it is like in most places that consumers have some rights.

Whether there is something wrong with the jacket is debatable. There is a very clear differentiation between what OP wanted and what he received. Is this expected or not depends entirely upon whether OP should have known not to order it from the catalogue because it was unsuitable.

Now the problem, the original complaint, was not the neck hole, nor the arm pitch. It was the back, unzipped. Is that agreed? Other jackets shown in the thread do no have this problem.

It cannot be fixed, and no one who is not a Thedi fanboy is offering a solution.

Now I have been wrong before, prepared to eat my words and apologise if I'm wrong. But I am prepared to die on this hill if OP has got a jacket he doesn't like entirely and the best advice is stretch it out more. People who pay premium money deserve premium outcomes. Would OP have bought this if trying it on in a dressing room?

But anyway, fine, not my issue. I thought it would be better I guess.

Last edited:

cbez

One Too Many
If you can return it you should. It will always be the jacket that annoys you even if you make some progress in getting it to lay better. I kept too many I had issues with and had them just sit in my closet until I eventually sold or passed along.

Fonzie

One Too Many
It cannot be fixed, and no one who is not a Thedi fanboy is offering a solution.
It’s easy to be a Thedi fanboy, he’s one of the Top 10 (if not better) M2M vintage inspired leather jacket makers discussed in this forum, if not the world.
Also, there’s nothing wrong with the jacket other than it’s not to the OP or everyone’s taste. That's not an objective issue, but a matter of one’s opinion.

Sionnach

New in Town
It’s easy to be a Thedi fanboy, he’s one of the Top 10 (if not better) M2M vintage inspired leather jacket makers discussed in this forum, if not the world.
Also, there’s nothing wrong with the jacket other than it’s not to the OP or everyone’s taste. That's not an objective issue, but a matter of one’s opinion.
Well, there's a difference between making a great product and running a successful business. Not the same.

The whole thread is happening because OP noticed something undesirable about the jacket. That means there is something wrong with it. Thedi disagrees, as you might expect him to do. The rest of the reaction is mixed.

If you want to insist nothing is objectively wrong, then you set the bar obscenely high. Like a person is supposed to be able to look at am image on a website and somehow intimate details of the pattern.

Thing is, I debated even getting involved in this thread. Because I'm white knighting OP and I don't care how it turns out. But I care a lot about someone paying a lot and getting stuck with a jacket they don't like. And I care about people needing support and having to suck it up because some maker is so 'artisan' that they are allowed to get away with murder.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Theodoros's explanation was that it was a feature and he should have known better.

I cant do anything else.

I read it differently. Theodoros himself wouldn't have advised this particular jacket design to OP but since it's Thurston who took the order and gave (the wrong) advice there's nothing he can do.

I always wonder what Carrie knows that Theodoros doesn't. (What's the benefit of ordering through Thurston vs ordering directly from the man who's going to make your jacket)

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
None of the manufacturers accept returns once something is customised (unless the measurements don't fit or there are faults). If I want to be sure, I buy OTR or use the fit jacket service from thurston (why else would I buy there). I can't return my customised Porsche ordered online just because the purple on my monitor looked different.

Sionnach

New in Town
None of the manufacturers accept returns once something is customised (unless the measurements don't fit or there are faults). If I want to be sure, I buy OTR or use the fit jacket service from thurston (why else would I buy there). I can't return my customised Porsche ordered online just because the purple on my monitor looked different.
In most places, if you take a standard thing, then customise it, or, somehow modify it from original, you can't return it.

Now consider a product which has no standard form. Which is only m2m. Whose spec is little more than a picture of a model. You supply colour, thread, measurements, etc.

How would you possibly know this garment is not recommended for you? Does it say so? No. You infer from only a pic, your imagination, and the rep of the maker. There is zero I read in this situation which says OP ought to have known better.

So there exists in this situation a bona fide dispute, assuming OP wants to make one, and Thurston does also. Which they haven't.

Me I only interject because I got annoyed with how the community responded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff