Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Display Case posted in the Display Case, what a novel idea.

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
More pics to follow. It almost NS'd at an auction where I was after a very specific piece of art and I figured it would make for an excellent display piece in the Cigar/Antique shop I'll be opening Q1 2011.
IMG_20100924_200250.jpg

The only thing I really need to fix is the top piece of glass. The art work and etching on the front piece are in excellent condition and I intend to use a velvet lined jewelry insert on the inside.
I'm not sure where to even start with trying to find a piece of glass for the top and then replace it, so any suggestions are more than welcome.

As near I can figure, it is very early 20th century.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
By the looks of it and what I can read on the glass, that would be a very very eary Parker pen display-case (ca. 1900-1910 I'd say).

If you do restore it and add it to your antiques shop, it would be an excellent place to display any antique writing instruments that you have for sale.

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
I think I'll be satisfied with a new piece of glass rather than a vintage piece. My biggest concern is how to loosen the cement/glue currently there and what type cement to use with the new glass.

Roxy

Familiar Face
HHISIII said:
I think I'll be satisfied with a new piece of glass rather than a vintage piece. My biggest concern is how to loosen the cement/glue currently there and what type cement to use with the new glass.

The glass company should be able to advise you about removal. As for attaching a new piece. I would probably use a clear silicone caulk. And to make it match I would probably do the other pieces too as their glue is probably quite aged.
But I'm not an expert. I just like fix-it projects. The glass company might advise you about glue too.

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
I think there's actually a glass company just down the street from my warehouse. I'll sneak by there sometime monday and see what they say.

By sheer stupid luck, I acquired a Parker fountain pen tonight. The nib is pretty badly bent and I have no idea how to make an adequate repair or if it can even be repaired, but it's a Parker.
It was in a semi-bulk lot at an auction that contained a good bit of military insignia, including 2 sets of WWI Captains bars, WWII Airbourne wings, an AAC wings and some other fun stuff. One thing that I'm keeping is a peculiar KaBar folding knife, it has a ~3" blade on one side and what I can only surmise is an ice pick on the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran