Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Fedora Lounge Akubra Hat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sator

New in Town
Dear all,

greetings! - this is my first post on the FL, though many will know me already from other fora.

The reason I am posting was that I was talking to Steve of Nungar about ordering Akubra hats. I suggested to him that he should offer city hats, as for now he only offers Akubra country hats on his website:

http://nungar.com.au/index.htm

You might already be aware of Steve if you have followed my RM Williams thread on SF or AAAC. He is planning to stock Akubra city hats soon and will send me a current printed catalogue to get some guidance as to which models to choose. His prices tend to be a bit keener than the competition.

In any case, during our conversation it became apparent that if you guys are really keen we could come up with a Fedora Lounge hat. It would be a custom model akin to the Federation Deluxe hat Akubra make for Hatsdirect.

The only thing is that you guys would have to get together to specify the design right down to fine details - including a name for the model.

Now, I am afraid my knowledge of hats is really inadequate to do this on my own. I would prefer to defer the design of the hat to those of you here better qualified. I would appreciate it if Mike, Matt or someone like that could take charge of these things. I will facilitate communication with Steve and Akubra.

Lastly, I have no commercial association with Nungar. I am offering this to you guys because you have the best collective knowledge of city hats on the net. If you come up with something really nice I will of course be wanting to order one for myself.

As yet, I have no idea about minimal order numbers etc and other practicalities. I just want to see if there is interest out there.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
LOL..you're right Marc. Nice idea Sator ( Welcome to the Lounge!!) but with all the differing opinions here as to the "perfect" hat it could prove pretty tough. How about say, 3 designs?

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
I think it's a capital idea! Art's suggestion about having three designs definitely makes sense, lest we wind up beating each other to a pulp under a streetlight on a rainy street at night. :D One person might like a rural Open Road-ish design, where I'd be for the ultra-urban, wide-ribbon, heavy-taper, Joe Friday look (my dream hat, above all others). But yeah, definitely a sound idea. We could discuss it for a year or two, lots of back-and-forth... it could be fun.

And welcome to the Lounge, Sator! (From a fellow newbie, no less!) You're gonna love it here.

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Heck, given its simple, high-contrast, two-color design, I think just the Fedora Lounge "man-in-hat" logo up top would make a fine-looking pin.

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
T'would be a sense of incredible pride knowing we were responsible for changing the entire world for the better... :fedora:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

Some time ago, some of us tried go get up a special run of hats from Akubra. The idea was to have them do a Campdraft, which is the old Stetson Open Road, in silverbelly and in the higher quality felt used for the Federation Deluxe model. It would have been blocked just like an OR with trolley cord.

The idea never got past the initial inquiries. The minimum number was more than we could meet, as I remember. Sharpetoys, what was the deal killer there? I think we were trying to get it done for around $125.

mingoslim

Practically Family
I am game for the Akubra . . .

I would personally opt for something along the line of the classic Stratoliner.
And I would definitely purchase a dozen or more of the Official FL Hat Pins.

But lets see how these projects turn out before we begin desinging the shoe line;)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The hat pin idea appeals to me. As for an FL hat ... what do you do if you already have a Stratoliner (or two or three)? What would be especially "Fedora Lounge-esque" about another version of a Strat, or Open Road, or whatever? What would make it seem so unique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR