Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A few questions

sasquatch

New in Town
Hi all, newbi here. Love the site.

For quite a while now I have been wanting to shell out the $$ and actually get a quality motorcycle jacket, heavy cowhide or HH. Problem: finding one that will fit. I am 6'5" and over 300lbs. 56" chest, 38 waist, long body and arms.

The other problem: finding one where I don't have to shell out over $1,000. Speaking of which, what is with Lost Worlds adding 60% or more to any sizes over 50r'? A $965 regular priced plus 60+%? A little steep, yes? I love the look of LW's stuff but...

I have also looked at Langlitz, and I am kind of having the same reaction. $1,000 for a jacket?

What can I say, I'm picky.

I like the look of Vanson Mercury, I like the more fitted leathers, I just wonder if they make it in HH.

Oh, does anyone here know anything about http://www.walter-leather.com/ ?

Thanks.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
sasquatch said:
I like the look of Vanson Mercury, I like the more fitted leathers, I just wonder if they make it in HH.

I'm a Vanson owner. Would you reconsider the Mercury for another jacket?

The Mercury really isn't cut out for motorcycling. The collar flaps are not secured with snaps, so they'll flap in the wind. There is no waist belt or zipper attachment at the waist so you cannot secure the jacket from riding up on your body during a crash. The Mercury features Vanson's Firenze leather as standard, which is not as heavy (or protective) as their competition weight leather.

Last (and possibly the most critical), the Mercury is not armor-capable so you are losing a key safety feature in motorcycle jackets. Leather protects only against abrasion. Armor protects against impact. When you hit the pavement (and I've done so, but fortunately at very low speeds) you want to protect against both.

If you like Vanson and want something more traditional for motorcycling along that cut, have you considered the Vanson Comet? From my conversations with my (now defunct) Vanson dealer, it is the same cut as the Mercury. It has a snap-down collar and is available with armor and in competition weight leather. There is no waist belt or zipper attachment but that's probably the only missing safety feature.

Even if you opt for the Comet, I would look into having yourself measured for a custom jacket. I find the torso lengths on Vansons to be overly short. My standard suit jacket size is 42 short; in Vanson gear I can wear a "stock" size 40 but even so, their standard length is about 1" too short for my preferences. If you're 6'5" and long in the torso and arms you will definitely need a custom job to make it fit right.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
oBvious

hi, i think the obvious answer is aero, which custom make every jacket, will do customization, have a great number of options in steer and horsehide, and are in the $700 price range...

gorgeous jackets, and they meet your criteria

Peacoat

Bartender
Hi Sasquatch, welcome to the FL. I agree with all that Ace says. The lightweight cow from Vanson is only 2 1/2 oz. leather. That isn't serious leather for motorcyclists. With your size, I think a custom jacket is your best bet. There are several companies that do custom, and you are going to be in the serious $$ department whichever way you go.

As Johnnyx2 sAys, Aero is probably your best bet. If you are going to be paying out that much money for custom, might as well go with the best. And the wait time for the Aero may not be that much longer than for the Vanson.

If you go with Aero, you may want to tell them to build the jacket a little looser than their normal build as you will be using it for riding a motor. After several years, my Highwayman is finally loosening up and stretching so that it is a more comfortable fit than it has been. Still a bit too tight in the arms and shoulders for a heavy sweater, though. That's OK as I have other jackets for the colder weather.

sasquatch

New in Town
Thanks for the responses guys.

I am still just looking, just getting as many ideas as I can before decision time.

As for the jacket having to have a belt and armor... I'm not much into either. I have dumped- wrecked- before and the jacket I had did not have a belt and it did just fine; didn't ride up. As for armor, I had one a long time ago, DFW airport took it off my hands, free of charge. I do contract oilfield work all over the world, and they absolutely would not let me take the jacket with me because of the armor, even if I took the armor out- security reasons from what they told me. I was flying to the North Sea(Norway) at the time, Feburary, and liked to have frozen before I could find any other jacket that fit. Ended up having to customize a "gumby-suit" once I got on the rig. DFW was to have held the jacket till I got back, they didn't. Destroyed because I was overdue in picking it up or somesuch. Needless to say I don't use DFW airport anymore.

Anyway, come the new year I may try to find a Vanson dealer and get fitted and try a HH Comet. I have had several super heavy cowhides in the past and have never had much trouble with break in time; my size, weight and use I would imagine. Rain or shine I ride and camp and have found, on a new heavy leather jacket, if it's well made, get it rained on and wear it till dry will form it to you, but lessens the life of it. I'm hoping a HH will last longer. I can usually only get 2 years out of a leather. I am rough on gear.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Hm, maybe you would be better off with an Aero instead if you don't care for armor or the waist belt. [huh]

The size 56 Vanson Comet in cowhide (non-armored) is $590 (not including shipping). The armored versions only go to size 54 so that won't work for you anyway. A made-to-measure Aero Cafe Racer from Aero USA in horsehide (which is similar in styling, without the eyebrow pockets) would be $699 (shipped). Seeing as you would have to pay extra for the customization of your Vanson, I think you may be better off going with Aero as the customization is included in the price. That $100 price differential will get eaten up very quickly when you start customizing your Vanson.

Keep in mind that Aero will add/delete minor features like pockets so if you really like the eyebrow pockets of the Vanson Comet you can ask them to include those features and they'll do it. Most likely, they'll do it at no additional cost.

Further, if you're constantly wearing your jacket in the rain I believe horsehide willl hold up better over time. In fact some people recommend wearing their horsehide jackets in the rain to help them break in. I don't think you can do that with cowhide.

The only caveat is that you have to factor in the wait times for an Aero. To be fair, Vanson custom will also take time so there may not be much of a difference. My Aeros have taken approximately six (or more) months for delivery (if you order from Aero USA). In contrast, my custom Vanson took about two months for delivery, but that was ordered quite some time ago so I don't know their current lead time. Check with Aero USA (email them from their eBay store) and Mark will hook you up.

Sorry to do a 180 on you. lol

sasquatch

New in Town
$699 is not tooo bad. I paid $600 for this Harley Davidson one I wear now- had to special order it. Not too thrilled on the fit but... lack of options.

PS: how the frill do I add photo(s) to this?

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
sasquatch said:
PS: how the frill do I add photo(s) to this?

You have to post your photos to an image hosting site like Flickr or photobucket. Once you do that, find the static link to the photo. On Flickr, this is at the bottom of the page when you select a certain sized photo, listed in the box labled "Grab the photo's URL:". Once you have the static link, paste it into the box that apears when you click the "insert image" link above the reply text box. The "insert image" link is the yellow square with the mountains in it.

sasquatch

New in Town
see if this works

4190121139_c01f2f92fb_o.jpg

4190881864_4b9afa7dea_o.jpg

4190881856_cb4a25012e_o.jpg

It fits like a tent. But, I can really layer on the cold days. I can fit a T-shirt, button up shirt/jacket, fleece pullover, more form fitting leather jacket, and then this one. Works better than armor. :D Kinda like an airbag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou