Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A good friend's hat: Woodrow, 46 Picadilly

Barry

Practically Family
A friend of mine is interested in selling a black fedora that belonged to his father. The hat was purchased in London, probably back in the 1930s, possibly earlier. The felt is unbelievably soft and smooth. It's also a super lightweight hat and with the exception of the ribbon coming undone and some dust it's in excellent condition. The brim is roughly 2 5/8 and the crown is maybe 4 3/4 inches high.

I'm trying to dig up some information on the hatter for my friend - so far I just did a google search and found a letter from Gertrude Bell (http://www.gerty.ncl.ac.uk/) on an archives website. She refers to the same hatter.

"[28 February 1924] Feb 28 Baghdad Darling Mother. I really must thank you for your perfectly enchanting letters....

That isn't, however, all I have to say. Would you be so obliging as to buy me a sun helmet. It's not as easy as you think because I'm very fussy about them. I scarcely feel the sun and only use a helmet for riding and I like it exceptionally small and light. I've now found the place to go for it, Woodrow, 46 Piccadilly. It is to be 24 inches in circumference inside, i.e. that's the size of my head, and the brim only 3 inches wide, the lightest, thinnest sort. It's to be covered with cream-coloured tussore - I hate drill. Can you please manage that? Send by parcels post otherwise it won't arrive till the autumn and the box must be of wood or with a wooden protection, or it will squash flat."

Does anyone know anything about the hatter?

Thanks,

Barry

Barry

Practically Family
Well - the hat was given to me about two weeks ago.

I'm going to get some photos up soon. I started brushing it a bit and looking at the sweatband (which is fabric - there is a yellowish felt like lining behind the fabric - I'm not sure what it is or if I want to know what it is) and then I realized that this is a travel/dress hat. It totally collapses/crushes or folds and then you just pop it open and it it's back to whatever crown you prefer in no time. It's too small for me and I doubt it can be stretched to fit (an inch and a fraction too small) which is a shame but it does have great sentimental value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24