Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A happy hat experience in Menlo Park, California

Michael Bradley

New in Town
First, thanks to Fedora Lounge members for a big chunk of hat education and for helping me discover - at the happy age of 62 - that I’m a hat guy!

I’d just like to post this to recommend the Fino Fino hat shop in Menlo Park, Calif. Carolyn Busch, the owner, is extremely cordial and professional. She is a hat enthusiast and she is very knowledgeable about men’s (and women’s hats). She carries Baily, Biltmore, Borsalino and Optimo felts and straws (Graham Thompson visits a couple of times a year). She stocks a large collection of Optimo Panamas (and a large selection of women’s hats).

I’m very much enjoying the two Optimo felt fedoras and the Borsalino traveller I got from her (Graham measured me for the Optimos), and I’ll be back for more.

Mike Bradley

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the Lounge Mike, you'll enjoy it here. Your first stop in the hat world was a good one. Very nice people and Graham makes a good hat.
Enjoy!!

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Fedora Lounge Mr. Bradley! I will have to look into that shop. I hope you're giving your hats a good share on your head.

Michael Bradley

New in Town
Thanks for the warm welcome. Sorry for a tardy reply; I was away for a couple of days.

John, I'd post pictures, but I don't have a digital camera; maybe I can borrow one. The Optimos are both what I'd call middle-of-the-road dimensions: 2-3/8" brims that fit me perfectly. I wanted a wider brim, but Graham and Carolyn persuaded me that 2-3/8" was the right brim for me, and they were absolutely right. I'm 5'-11", 165 lbs., and though I love wide-brim fedoras, on me they do look over-large and costume-y. I chose a 1" ribbon for the same reason; I like wider ribbons - they're just not right for me.

One is Clove - a medium brown with an almost subliminal drop of grey/green. Very versatile, works with brown sport coats, green or tan field jackets, almost anything. The other is Nickel Steel - it's medium grey and it has a hint of taupe that makes it also very versatile.

And, yes, I did take the plunge all at once, and I wear them almost daily. The Borsalino Traveller will be - is - my rain hat and one I've worn, for example, to a concert where I could fold it and stash it in a pocket. I've learned that if we're going to a restaurant, the good hat stays in the car.

Next up: A Milan straw or a Panama. I gotta say, guys, this is fun!

Mike Bradley

Correction: The color of the brown Optimo is Clove, not Pecan as I posted. My brain's gone mushy from all those hatless years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou