Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Hat for Camp

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
A vote for the Akubra Capricorn here. It is very durable and no maintenance (dunk it in the river and its clean!), and cool in warm weather. I most of the shades will work well with Scout type clothing. I've taken to wearking my Capricorn while hiking and hunting here in Hawaii and beats my cheap wool felt I used to use.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Johnny

Stratton hats makes hats in all sizes including long oval and round oval. They're very stiff, but can be re-shaped. I picked up a factory second or third at Levine's in StL, but it was a round oval and I eventually just gave it do a round headed dude a saw at a huge January campout. You can get a decent campaign hat using a basic high crowned (5.5 inch open crown minimum) cowboy hat too, it won't look as professional as a Stratton or a BSA version though. Eyelets are good, but a stampede string is also recommended, especially in the windy areas of the country, and for canoeing.

I owned a Pith Helmet until last week when I just gave it to Hatman Jack to sell, I greatly resembled a toadstool from the neck up. I wanted one for YEARS, and only wore it about 1 minute total in the five times I tried it on. While they're only $35.00 plus shipping, I'd be cautious about those.

Just my $0.06, $0.02 on the opinion, but 3x on the experience... :D

carldelo

One Too Many
A vote for the Akubra Capricorn here. It is very durable and no maintenance (dunk it in the river and its clean!), and cool in warm weather. I most of the shades will work well with Scout type clothing. I've taken to wearking my Capricorn while hiking and hunting here in Hawaii and beats my cheap wool felt I used to use.

I'll second this suggestion. A Capricorn in green or fawn would coordinate with the uniform. There is also the Rink, same hat really, comes in white and cream. The new Stetson Milan Stratoliner (polystraw) might work as well. These poly straws are great in hot weather and get wet with no penalty.

MCrider

A-List Customer
And I'll third it. I've had a Capricorn for several years now and it hasn't lost its shape or been affected by sun, water or mud. A quick spray off and it's ready to go again. I've worn it throughout the summer even up in the 90's with no problem. I like it so much that I recently bought a gray one also. So if you want something good that can also survive a downpour, I'd go for the Capricorn!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou