Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A little Swing for old time cops!

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
I can dig it.
And I miss the days when cops always wore the old school cop hats.
Now alot of them just wear ball caps.[huh]

metropd

One Too Many
Almost all police departments still have those "oldschool"
service caps to wear on patrol. Unfortunately just like most people lack style today so do most cops.

I love Mr. Miller's music and swing and collect police uniforms so this was perfect.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
metropd said:
Almost all police departments still have those "oldschool"
service caps to wear on patrol. Unfortunately just like most people lack style today so do most cops.

I love Mr. Miller's music and swing and collect police uniforms so this was perfect.
Not around here they don't. Just in the bigger cities like Dayton and Columbus.
I used to date this one cop from a small town (very rural) and they could choose between a ball cap that said "police" (tacky), a campaign or sheriff style hat. So I got sick of seening this fine looking guy wearing his tacky cap and bought him (paid a pretty penny too) for the campaign hat with acorns.
I also got him a nice pair of aviator sunglasses and then I got him a pyle cap with hat shield pin for winter. I know I shucked out over a $100 for those hats back in 1993.
He was kinda funny about it untill he started getting compliments on it.
Then all the sudden he wanted the covers and other stuff that went with them. THEN some of the other officers traded their caps for sheriff or campaign hats.
I still see him from time to time and he still talks about that hat and he's not even a cop anymore.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
That's an awesome video. I'm a big fan of Glenn Miller, and love the Booogie Woogily Piggy song just as much as a lot of the other classics. The photos included in that video are neat as well. I enjoy looking at pictures of police officers, patrol cars, and the like from so long ago.

Copper

One of the Regulars
There was a distinct sense of style to those police uniforms then. Unfortunately style and 'smartness' in uniforms is becoming more rare, traded away for practicality. While I understand it, there must be a way to get a practical, durable police uniform that still looks good. I abhor the baseball cap and golf shirt look.

Though I no longer work in an area where I wear a uniform, I still make sure that my dress uniform is clean and pressed, that my parade boots are polished and my forage cap brim shiny. It feels good to wear the more formal tunic once in a while, though unfortunately I only seem to wear it to slow march in, if you know what I mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou