Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Lot o' Mottos: What are your words to live by?

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
From Atomic Magizine

For my hobby
I don't want to live in the GOLDEN ERA, just play in it.;)

Some of the rest for life

When in doubt, empty the magazine.

There is almost no problem that cannot be solved by the judicious use of Artillery.

Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you and some days you shouldn't even be in the woods.

I like coffee, chocolate and have a wicked sense of humor. Problem? :)

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Grin. People will always wonder what you are up to.

dostacos

Practically Family
my dad had a couple, for his employees, it was "if you drink at lunch, never gin/vodka I would rather people smell your breath and think I hired a drunk and not an idiot"

he also said "I may not always be right, BUT I am never in doubt"

as a pilot he had 1 rule, never run out of airspeed altitude and Ideas at the same instant.

mine? "If they cannot take a joke, nuke 'em till they glow then you can shoot them after dark" Help stamp out the Blue menace , NUKE smurf village. and of course my Al Capone quote below

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming--Matthew Arnold (also used by Myrna Loy for the title of her autobiography).

Anything worth doing is worth doing badly--GK Chesterton (I tell myself this when I feel an attack of perfectionism coming on)

Smyat

One of the Regulars
dostacos said:
my dad had a couple, for his employees, it was "if you drink at lunch, never gin/vodka I would rather people smell your breath and think I hired a drunk and not an idiot"
Different phrasing, if I may: I saw this years ago under the glass at a tool rental shop and it still makes me laugh.

"If you have to drink at lunch, drink whiskey, not vodka. We want customers to know you're drunk, not think you're stupid."

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
alswearengen.jpg

"Pain or damage don't end the world... nor despair nor (Not OK to Use Stars - ed) beatings. The world ends when you're dead.
Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back."

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
A couple of favorites...

I saw this one in Guam in a Navy Squadron hangar:
"Indecision is a key to flexibility. Welcome to the most flexible squadron in the US Navy."

Advice from my mother, "Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

And another favorite learned in the Navy, "It's easier to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission."

Josephine

One Too Many
My "serious" motto is by Dale Carnegie: Happiness doesn't depend upon who you are or what you have; it depends solely on what you think.

My not so serious one, but the one I really believe in, is: If you're going to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

carter

I'll Lock Up
It depends on the day but there are some that always come to mind.

"Measure twice. Cut once."

"Anything worth doing is worth doing once."

"I told you once and I'll tell you again. Know what I mean?"

"Sometimes you get the elevator, sometimes you get the shaft."

"For myself, I am an optomist. It does not seem to be much use being anything else." Sir Winston Churchill

"He who praises everbody, praises nobody." Samuel Johnson

"God bless us every one!" Tiny Tim (Chas. Dickens)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy