Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new hatter joins the fray...

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Atomic Glee said:
...or, rather, a new hatter at a familiar old name.

That's right. Those of you who know me well know that I was laid off from my IT position a while back. I have no idea how the stars and planets and such aligned, but I am now the new hatter at the Peters Brothers here in downtown Fort Worth. None other than Joe Peters, Sr. himself is schooling me on the art form.

Just wanted to let y'all know, since a couple of folks had PM'd me about the new link in my sig. :)

So do we take a ticket or is there a line?

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Amazing!

CONGRATULATIONS!

My life is at a similar crossroads. It's good to hear about good karma happening out there!

C O N G R A D U L A T I O N S !!!!!!!!

Atomic Glee,

Wow, that is wonderful news!!!!!
I am sure everyone here will say the same thing:
What a wonderful opportunity
Learn everything you can & Master the art of Hat Making
You are gonna Make Us All Proud!
:D
Best wishes!!!

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Fantastic! Good for you! Seriously, craftsmanship, on so many levels, is becoming a lost art form in this country. Do the craft/art proud. A confession - I envy you and your opportunity and I am looking forward to a display of your wares and creations!

Kudos!

matei

One Too Many
Congratulations on the new job!

I myself am in the IT field. The money is good, but I can't say that it is my dream career. I think that your new direction is an inspiration to those of us who might be thinking about changing careers at some point.

Good luck - it is good to know that there is another Fedora Lounger in the hat making industry.

Kim Steiner

New in Town
Peters Brothers

Glad to hear it Kevin. Give my regards to Joe, and tell him I hope this will expedite the transformation of that Stetson 100 I sent him last week into a Shady Oaks. I was in your shop last year while visiting Ft. Worth. Kim Steiner

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Hats off to your new career!

Atomic Glee --

Many congrats on your newfound vocation! May this be the beginning of a long, happy and fruitful new career. And if this keeps up, and others here eventually join your ranks, just think what this'll do for the hat industry (and manners, civility and style)!

Baggers

Practically Family
Congratulations and good luck! When I was in the shop back in May to get my straw Indy (I think I got the last XL body. Sorry if I beat you to it RBH -- well, not really. lol ) I wondered how much longer that place would last, considering how old Joe probably is. I'm glad he's passing the craft on to someone who'll do more with it than just make cowboy hats. I'll probably be dropping by in a few months to get another straw of some type.

Learn well, young Padewan.

Cheers!

Wconly

Familiar Face
Just read this. Congrats! Tell Joe hello from me. He is one of the best people I have ever dealt with....I think the world of him! So, good luck and keep us up-to-date on your progress. Joe will teach you right! W>

RBH

Bartender
Baggers said:
my straw Indy (I think I got the last XL body. Sorry if I beat you to it RBH -- well, not really. lol )
Cheers!
Hey Baggers, no problem. I placed my order [back in Jan. I think] and was told it would take 3-4 weeks. Then was told a little longer and finally I quit hearing from them so I canceled.
NO HARD FEELINGS though. I think they were caught up in Rodeo time and were waiting on the straw bodies.
I still may try and get me one for summer wear, they sure look like a fantastic straw.

Baggers

Practically Family
I may have hit him at just the right time. He said it was a slow period, but that the end of the year and the Stock Show afterwards would be busier than you-know-what. That, and I ordered the hat in the shop when I dropped by after finishing up a gig nearby. He had it ready in three weeks. And it fit perfectly on the first try! Keep trying RBH, it's a wonderful hat. Soft, and light on the head. When you do get one, make sure you get it with the liner just placed inside without any stitching or glue. That way you can remove it if the weather gets too hot and you need a little more ventilation. Funny, but I never did have remove mine all summer. I was perfectly comfortable all season.

Atomic, my hat's off to you for diving into the deep end. I'll stop by in March or April and see what you and Joe can whip up for me.

Cheers!

Kim Steiner

New in Town
Peters Bros

I don't mind waiting for you to renovate my Stetson 100. I have frequently waited 3-5 years for custom gunsmithing jobs. Quality work is in demand and takes time.

Rands in Billings, MT, did a 20X Open Road for me this year. I visited in June and placed the order, and the hat came nearly 5 months later. Incidentally, neither the felt weight nor the brim treatment were what I thought I had ordered, and Rands built me a completely new, and perfect, hat within 3 weeks. Even offered to do it again if it was not to my liking.

As I said, I was in your shop in fall of last year. I visited several times before finally buying a Borsolino Alexandria. The fellow who was helping out at the time, presumably the one who just left, made a $300 cowgirl hat for another out-of-town visitor. She wanted a chin strap, and he put grommets in the brim. I was there when she came in to pick it up. Turned out she did not want grommets, and she just walked out, leaving him with a liability. I imagine Joe was not very happy, and his helper probably got heartburn or worse over the deal.

Take your time on my Stetson 100, and do a good job.

Kim Steiner

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Congrats on your new job -- wow, Peters Brothers! And thanks for a "tour" of the place. Fascinating; all those hats make me drool.

I have to make my way down to Ft. Worth one of these days, want to check out that place.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24