Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Postal Problem

Hornby

New in Town
Hello again Fedora Lounge, can't believe I've been away so long.

I have a quick question about a hat I have won on eBay and the amount the seller is trying to charge me for postage. Hopefully this is the right place to post this.

The hat is in New York and I live in Northern Ireland
I was the only bidder and won it for $10, I then recieved an invoice for $50. I questioned the amount of postage and the seller said he was putting it into a nice box but he "could stuff it in an envelope if I wanted it cheaper".
I genuinely think the seller expected to get more for the hat and is trying to squeeze more money out of the sale with excessive postage.
Unless of course I am mistaken and $40 to post a hat from NY to NI is actually right. But it just doesn't seem so to me.

Any Loungers have any experience of posting this distance and what a realistic postage charge is?

Or if anyone with experience of posting hats in box could give me an approximate weigh for such a package?

Thank you in advance for any and all help, it is greatly appreciated.

Hornby

p.s. I also found out yesterday that I will be in NY in December so I asked the seller if he would send it to my friends apartment in the city where I will be staying. He just flat refused.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Hat boxes are pretty darn big. From Australia to USA in Air Mail, postage is something like $26. Optimo charges $20 UPS Ground, and that's pretty much the least expensive method, at least in the US. Add insurance (OK, $10 hat, maybe not)....

$40 is a little high, but not outrageous. He should have had an amount specified for domestic shipping. Add about $25 to that for international, and see where it comes out.

Tom

You will likely run into dimensional weight for a hat packaged properly. A 2 pound carton tio Northern Ireland - 12 x 12 x 12 would cost US$33.00 for postage only (priority mail - 6-10 day service) not including insurance or any other services. I think $40 is not an unfair price for a well packaged shipment.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Postage has really gone through the roof. Anything other than first class international, (over 13 ounces) is exorbitant. :( This is why I don't ship larger, heavier items to anywhere overseas other than Canada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass