Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question of...

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
...brims.

I'm sure there must have been a discussion of this before.

Does anyone else have wear different fedoras with the brim up or down depending on the hat?

I have a Borso that begs to have the brim left up all the way around. It curls a bit much and just seems better that way. By the same token I have a Federation that looks wrong with the brim up in the front. It's less oval than my head and where I put it on it bows up a bit on the sides. It's the same with a Dobbs I have.

I've seem a number of golden era pictures with the brims both ways.

Comments?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I see that quite often...

I saw a Carlos Santana concert show last week and he wears his brim up. I must admit, I'm old fashioned, I wear all mine brim down - drastically down!
2.jpg
Carlos_Santana_2.jpg

I just haven't been able to grasp the brim up look.

-dixon cannon

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some of my Stingy's I'll wear snapped up and some down,it depends on what I'm wearing & where I'm going....or even what kind of mood I'm in. I might leave the house with the brim down & a few hrs. later change my mind. [huh]

One thing I don't think I can pull off that some others here can, Douglas comes to mind....is wear a wider brim Fed snapped up all around. Some can pull it off, some can't.

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
Carlos' motives

Dixon Cannon said:
I saw a Carlos Santana concert show last week and he wears his brim up.

Could it be that Santana just wants to make sure that his face can be seen by all those who bought an expensive concert ticket?
...and snaps the brim down as soon as he leaves the stage?
Just guessing.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
All good points...

...what I'm getting at is: do you have some hats that seem to work better one way or the other? I mean that some of my hats don't seem to naturally go one way or the other. Some of them get funny "waves" in the brim when they are the way they don't "want" to go.

Doh!

One Too Many
Down in front, up in back.

Even with my porkpie (it has a pretty wide brim, though). I do have one that I use mainly for rain protection and often have it brim down all around.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR