Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A quick applaud to the WWII girls in here!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just seen the pics posted by Vanessa and Lauren showing Vanessa and Kirsten in uniform. Just wanted to say that I think you girls look great, really enter into the spirit of things and keep the memory and history alive for those who remember but more importantly, for those who may not remember of be very aware of the sacrifices made by former generations in WWII. Ordinary folk called upon to do extraordinary things. Our greatest generation.
Many young people would struggle to tell you who was the current US President, let alone what Pearl Harbor was or the significance of the Ardennes or Okinawa. You guys are teaching history for those kids and young folk that are kinaesthetic learners, who learn by watching, seeing and feeling an interpretation of history. Sure there's a role and place for it in today's society. So thanks for that.
The added bonus of course, is that you guys just look so great in uniform. Loved the pic of Kirsten in those very vintage looking sunglasses and canvas gaiters. Well Done!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Thanks Paddy! I know Lauren & I had a fantastic time at our events and are looking forward to the next ones. We'll keep you posted!
I've always had a healthy respect for history and the people that participated, but after this weekend, I can just say that's it's multiplied by leaps and bounds. I truly believe they were the greatest generation, and I don't think we'll ever see their like again. I'm so glad that I can be a part of something that keeps it alive and running through the minds of the public.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
My kudos, too...

You ladies DID look terrific... It seems likely that there will be a BIG contingent of FL folks at this year's Reading Air Show (WWII weekend) in early June. It should be a boat load of fun. Maybe we should even look into setting up a FL table inside the hanger and recruit! Whatcha think of that?

PADDY: You coming over to the Reading event, friend? You can bunk with us outside D.C. if you do!

CA Rosie

New in Town
WWII Personal Impressions

Thank you for the complament on the photo Paddy. That was the newest of my impressions added to my re-enacting wardrobe.... War Correspondent. I currently have Nurse, PTO (Pacific Theater Operations), WAC (Womens Army Corp), German Helfernin (Red Cross Nurse), French Resistance worker/SOE agent, Rosie the Riveter and now my Correspondent (including camera) under my belt. But, once I have my 1944 Willies Jeep completed that will complete my WWII impressions.

Lauren was quite the French woman out there herself!!! She made friends with the Americans along with a few of the Germans. Not to leave out the two Veterans that were out watching us that day.

Kirsten

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just thought you looked great Kirsten

You seemed to capture a moment in time from over 60 years ago Kirsten with your correspondent look. Loved the sunglasses too!!
If or when you have the time, we'd love to see some of the other outfits Kirsten. Plus, your Willy's Jeep project sounds fantastic (where do you manage to fit all of this into your life girl?! lol), as I've ridden in a couple and just loved it. You'll be the belle of the re-enacting community when that jeep hits the roads (or off roads even!).

Start posting some more pics please!! Thanks Kirsten, and lovely meeting you.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Vanessa said:
I truly believe they were the greatest generation, and I don't think we'll ever see their like again.

If you'll forgive me for wandering off the topic for a moment, I hope we do. But I also hope it's under much better circumstances. I find it sad that we so often only see the best of ourselves in the worst situations.

Meanwhile, back at the topic, I have to echo what the others have already said. Well done ladies!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thanks, guys! Our own Miss Queenie will be attending her first battle in a few weeks with me, too! So I, in advance, congratulate her!

And thanks, Kirsten! It was fun! It's hard not to be friendly to such nice people with common interests :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS