Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A somewhat fancy hat stand?

jskeen

One of the Regulars
So, Heather told me last week "if you are going to keep leaving your hat in the house, find somewhere to put it in instead of on top of the lampshade or the mantel clock!" I started to explain to her that those were good places because they supported the hat by the inside of the sweat and didn't distort the edge of the brim. But fortunately I regained my sanity at the last second and just said "yes dear". So, something presentable looking to hang my hat on. No room in the entry hall for a regular hat stand, unfortunately, but there is a side table there. Perhaps something to sit on that? or perhaps on the dresser on my side of the bed? Something about so tall, maybe with a rim or groove so i could put other stuff on there without falling off? Hey, maybe I could put my watch on it too.... yeah, I like that idea. Now, do I have any interesting pieces of wood out in the shop? I'll need to clean off the big lathe and....... mumble mumble...... No, don't wait on me for dinner tonight. Now where did I leave that medium bowl gouge last.........

CIMG0051.JPG

CIMG0052.JPG

CIMG0050.JPG

Anyway. So monday morning the shop elves delivered a new hat stand to me. Now I just have to clean off a spot on the dresser for it.

What do you think?

randooch

I'll Lock Up
That's a thing of beauty! Love how it's tilted slightly downward especially. Is it round or oval? I've done a lot of lathe work, but never ventured into creating ovals.

Very nice work.

Great! I discovered last spring that I have a vintage one in my inventory of unknown heirlooms. For a long time I had wondered what it was, but until seeing one in use, had no idea. A new dowel to repair, and now I am keeping up with the jskeens! Thanks for the post.

jskeen

One of the Regulars
Is it round or oval? I've done a lot of lathe work, but never ventured into creating ovals.

Very nice work.

Me neither, creating an oval requires a 2 axis panographic lathe. I've seen one in action on an old episode of New Yankee Workshop, but that's as close as I'll probably ever get.

I cut and ground this tapered teardrop shape freehand from a piece of black cherry root that already had the thickness taper grown into shape, I just cut the base off flat, cut the rough point in on the bandsaw and roughed it to shape on the belt sander. It pretty closely matches the teardrop bash in that Dobbs 15, which is what I was wearing while I was shaping it. Had to blow a bit of dust off of it with the air hose after I got finished though.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Beautiful work and a fantastic way to keep the hats that are currently in rotation.

If you were to decide to make and sell some, put me on your list.

Me neither, creating an oval requires a 2 axis panographic lathe. I've seen one in action on an old episode of New Yankee Workshop, but that's as close as I'll probably ever get.

I cut and ground this tapered teardrop shape freehand from a piece of black cherry root that already had the thickness taper grown into shape, I just cut the base off flat, cut the rough point in on the bandsaw and roughed it to shape on the belt sander. It pretty closely matches the teardrop bash in that Dobbs 15, which is what I was wearing while I was shaping it. Had to blow a bit of dust off of it with the air hose after I got finished though.

Truly a thing of beauty, sir! All of the vintage ones I have seen (or that I can recall) are a more simple rounded disk on top. If that works for you, it would certainly be easier to manufacture.

$T2eC16JHJF8E9nnC6UIwBQ74HR21hQ~~60_57[1].jpg $(KGrHqR,!o!FC1MqNBwKBQymH+qrd!~~60_57[1].jpg
Both from the "FleaBay" Files today... both old. The second one is almost exactly like the one I found.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
jskeen
Nice work !
Ill take one if you get a want list going.

Must be hard to find a quantity of black cherry root though.

I have some like the pics above & those can round out
My crowns as I only like Light Weight felts
But your rounder bowl & angle is perfect

Last edited:

jskeen

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys, I'm glad you approved. I haven't really thought about doing any more of these, but I don't see why I couldn't, as time permits. I'll check in with those who were interested via pm as I get a chance, and see if we can't work something out. These are all hand made from materials on hand so no two are alike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy