Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A source for cloth covered belts?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Hi Girls,

An odd question here but I figured if anyone would have the answer to this it would be you folks.

Does anyone know of a source for narrow, cloth covered belts? In the past few months I've bought a couple of dresses missing the belts and, while I could use leather, cloth would just look nicer. I've been trolling the used clothing stores but so far no luck. A new one would work too. Particularly in navy.

Thanks in advance,

IOF

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
Does anyone know of a source for narrow, cloth covered belts? In the past few months I've bought a couple of dresses missing the belts and, while I could use leather, cloth would just look nicer. I've been trolling the used clothing stores but so far no luck. A new one would work too. Particularly in navy.

You can buy kits at some stores (I know Windsor Button near Downtown Crossing in Boston has them) to make your own fabric covered belts. I'm considering cutting fabric out of the hem to make belts for some of my own dresses. You can also make a tube of fabric and insert belting material and then add a metal tone buckle, which would be easier than doing a fabric covered one. Grosgrain ribbon belts are another option.

My mom gave me a bunch of instructions for this stuff but I haven't tried yet. I know there were a bunch of tips for making your own. I'll post them here once I decipher the notes I have scribbled on my desk at work!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Kitty! Plus, any excuse to visit Windsor Buttons is welcome--I'll have to take a walk at lunch sometime this week. I always feel like I'm in such a time warp there--I hope they never close.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Some tips from dear old mom for making fabric belts:

* You can use a strip of fabric, fold both edges under, and stitch as close along the edge as possible on top of a strip of belting. To get the fabric a uniform width, make a strip out of posterboard and iron the fabric around it. This method works well for hems too (mom, you're a genius!).

* Use the same method for making a tube of fabric, then put the belting inside. This eliminates stitching through the belting. If using this method, the seam of the tube of fabric should be placed down the middle of the back side of the belting.

* Pre-shrink all fabric and belting before making your belt. For grosgrain ribbon, this may be done by steam pressing. If using fusible interfacing, wash in warm water and let dry.

* For grosgrain ribbon belts, use a strip of heavy interfacing or belting down the back that is the same width or slightly narrower, with a strip of Stich Witchery down the middle of the 2 layers.

* Use Stitch Witchery rather than pins to hold everything together for stitching in order to avoid wrinkles.

Hope this helps. I have yet to try any of these, so we'll see....

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I've used the kits from Acme Notions. www.acmenotions.com

I've also had luck just covering an old belt. Just cut the fabric wide enough to turn and press the raw edge and still wrap around. Pull fabric tight and whip stitch. To cover the buckle, cut the fabric strip on the bias, wrap around and whip stitch as well.

Honey Doll

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
What would one use for belt backing/belting? According to my mother there used to be ready made belting available in rolls in any sewing supply shop, but its a lot harder to find now. She made do with some heavy foam interfacing last time she made a belt; it was chunkier than preferable for a belt, but it functioned.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
JupitersDarling said:
What would one use for belt backing/belting? According to my mother there used to be ready made belting available in rolls in any sewing supply shop, but its a lot harder to find now. She made do with some heavy foam interfacing last time she made a belt; it was chunkier than preferable for a belt, but it functioned.

I would use regular belting that you buy by the yard on rolls from fabric stores. I've also used heavy interfacing with little problem.

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Honey Doll said:
Another source for supplies.... http://www.greenberg-hammer.com/ In their findings section are several types of covered buckles, plus they carry belting and some nice mother of pearl slide style buckles.
Oooh, and the belt backing can be bought by the yard, not just the roll! Thanks for the tip. :) I know of Greenberg&Hammer as a source for corsetry supplies but somehow never thought to look for belting there...

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks so much for all your help girls! Those links are very helpful but very dangerous--so many notions that I just must have!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace