Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Spanish American War military portrait to share..

Feraud

Bartender
I have had this photo for many years. It is from the Spanish American War era. Enjoy.
scan0034.jpg

The writing came with the photo.
scan0035.jpg

MissQueenie

Practically Family
What a wonderful photograph, Feraud! I recently picked up a book called "The Correspondent's War" which discusses the Spanish American War as the first war in which modern war reportage as we know it really got its footing -- I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

Is the soldier any relation to you, or is this a happy market find?

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A sight for sore eyes, Feraud, and I appreciate your posting of this wonderful picture. Everytime I see one of those hats, in my mind, I know it's a 'campaign hat' but they have so many aspects of fedoras at the same time, unlike their descendants from 1911 on with the 'montana' peaks. Good show! Bully! Bully!

dean

Feraud

Bartender
There is no great backstory to this photograph. My wife and I have spent many weekends at flea markets and this is something the caught my eye.

MissQueenie, I hope you will give us a review of The Correspondent's War. It sounds like a great read!

deanglen

Feraud said:
I have added these because I see deanglen is a fan of the era.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap If anyone ever wonders why this Lounge is so great, it isn't just the respectful tone of the issue debates, the vintage obsession alone, but the fact that, speaking for myself, I've made seem real friends of people I've never met who have similar interests and are willing to do thoughtful things like post pictures that are FANTASTIC! My favorite is the third one. Look at those guys! They broke the mold after men like that. In this era of kevlar body armor and BDUs that erase the individual, each one of those men projects a character...and the hats...the hats are the icing on the cake! Thank you from the heart, Feraud! You're posting was a very kind thing to do! I' ve got another image to add to my revolving avatar selection!

dean

Feraud

Bartender
I like the new avatar deanglen. :) ;)
Do you notice on that picture how clean and unused the equipment is?
I believe the article stated the soldiers were new recruits with new gear.

deanglen

Yeah, they look a bit green, don't they? Gotta love the enthusiasm. I also noticed that they are wearing their hat cords with the securing knot and acorn ends over to the side of their campaign hat crowns. My son rented this comedy movie about state troopers that had its moments, but I noticed that in that film the state tropper hats they wore had the hat cords worn in the same on-the-side fashion. Interesting.

dean

Feraud

Bartender
deanglen said:
My son rented this comedy movie about state troopers that had its moments, but I noticed that in that film the state tropper hats they wore had the hat cords worn in the same on-the-side fashion. Interesting.

dean
That would not be the film SuperTroopers would it?
I love that flick. They certainly represented "tradition". ;)

carebear

meow

Notice the rifles in the last two pictures are Springfield conversions, the third has a bent bolt.

Krag? I can't make out the magazine cover.

Feraud

Bartender
Meow let's not start that. :)
Good eye on the rifles. #1 has a bent bolt, #2 a Springfield conversion(?) and the 5 soldiers in picture #3 looks too dark to make anything out.

carebear

They aren't meow-sers.

On the group of soldiers, check out rifle #3 (from the left) and you'll see the bulge of the side-meow-nted hammer. On rifles #4 and #5 you can see the gleam off of the hammer spur. Those are Springfields alright.

Feraud

Bartender
carebear said:
They aren't meow-sers.

On the group of soldiers, check out rifle #3 (from the left) and you'll see the bulge of the side-meow-nted hammer. On rifles #4 and #5 you can see the gleam off of the hammer spur. Those are Springfields alright.
Meow I see what you are saying. :)

deanglen

That is the film
super_troopers_sunglasses.jpg

Hat cords sideways. And, BTW, does "meow" mean what I think it does vis-a-vis the, shall we say, fighting prowess, of those members of the Pennsylvania National Guard?

dean

Feraud

Bartender
deanglen said:
And, BTW, does "meow" mean what I think it does vis-a-vis the, shall we say, fighting prowess, of those members of the Pennsylvania National Guard?

dean
No. It was just a silly joke the troopers pulled on an unsuspecting traffic violator. :)

carebear

from the movie, going for a record in saying "meow" to a speeder -

State Trooper Jeff Foster (Paul Soter): "Alright, meow, hand over your license and registration. Your registration? Hurry up meow."

speeder Larry Johnson: "Sorry."

Foster: "There something funny here, boy?"

Larry Johnson: "No, no, no."

Foster: "Well, then, why you laughing, Mr. Larry Johnson? Alright meow, where were we?"

Larry Johnson: "I'm sorry, are you saying meow?"

Foster: "Am I saying meow?"

Larry Johnson: "I-I-I thought--"

Foster: "Don't think, boy. Meow, do you know how fast you were going? Meow, what is so damn funny?"

Larry Johnson: "I could have sworn you said meow."

Foster: "Do I look like a cat to you, boy? Am I jumping around all nimbly-bimbly from tree to tree?"

Larry Johnson: "No, no."

Foster: "Am I drinking milk from a saucer?"

Larry Johnson: "No."

Foster: "Well, do you see me eating mice? Now, you stop laughing right meow."

Larry Johnson: "Yes, sir."

Foster: "Meow, I'm gonna have to give you a ticket on this one."

Larry Johnson: "But--"

Foster: "No buts meow. That's the law. It's not so funny meow, is it?"

:D

Daisy Buchanan

Oh My Goodness, that sounds like it was hilarious:D!

Thanks for posting such wonderful pictures Feraud. I can't imagine our troops going into today's battles wearing those uniforms. These pictures sure do show us how tough the soldiers of yester-year were, to go into the field dressed like that, without the protective body armour we give our troops today.
Great photos, thanks for sharing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic