Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Stormy Day and a Father's Duty

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
Dulouz said:
Good on you Buzz. I look forward to the day I can do this for my son (now 4-years-old).
Hold on tight. You have a child and life becomes one quick slide to oblivion. It's wonderful...but is it ever fast!

Buzz

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
23SkidooWithYou said:
I dunno. You might want to take a page from my Mother's book. She has these great little 14k yellow gold bow earrings with a little diamond chip in the center. She got them as a bridesmaid gift sometime in the 50's and she loves them. Well, in my late teens, I loved them too! I "borrowed" them with permission. Days rolled into weeks. My Mother politely asked me to return them. Weeks rolled into months. My Mother politely asked me again. The calendar pages kept turning. Finally, she walked into my room and firmly asked me to produce the earrings. With no other choice, I went to my box only to discover the earrings were missing! I wanted to vomit, thought I had lost them and was on the spot. My Mom let me squirm a moment or two and then said, "I took them back yesterday. Next time I let you borrow something, be kind enough to return it." ....that reminds me, I need to give her back the signet ring I've had since May! lol
Whoaaaa...way too Sun Tsu for my meager abilities! Besides, it would not be easy for my son to hide a fedora and a Leica M6 in our house. At the end of the day, it is all about us becoming our parents and our children becoming us. Except my father never wore a fedora and didn't shave with a brush until I gave him one!

Buzz

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
They get it anyway, sooner..later, but still.

I wouldn't mind if my son took one of my hats. I wouldn't care if he took the razor...or borrowed any of my books.

Now the car......that's a bit expensive, but he doesn't drive (yet).

Just remember, everything in life will sooner or later go to someone else, be it family, friends, or someone at a second hand store.

You can't take it with you!!

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
Andykev said:
Now the car......that's a bit expensive, but he doesn't drive (yet).

Just remember, everything in life will sooner or later go to someone else, be it family, friends, or someone at a second hand store.

You can't take it with you!!
Trust me on this one. There is a period between the ages of four and sixteen when you actually get to sleep. Then they start driving and you never sleep again for the rest of your life.

Buzz...who was sixteen once himself...

univibe88

One Too Many
It sounds like you are raising a fine young man. I'm not sure if you were joking or serious about having the sweat redone with his initials, but I say keep it the way it is. Down the road he will proud to have his father's hat and he will look fondly at the sweat punched with your initials.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
It's all part of a rite of initiation, and part of your fatherly duty. As a youngster, I appropriated my father's neckties, then his vintage suit and sports coat, then his safety razor, his Witchazel, then his Chevrolet, and the list goes on. But almost to get back at me, last year he appropriated my Capa's Design Lite Felt fedora (the first hat he "acquired" in many decades), forcing me to buy another for myself. What comes around, goes around...:rolleyes:

theinterchange

One Too Many
M6Classic said:
Which reminds me...in addition to my fedora and shaving brush, my son has also begun to appropriate my Leicas and lenses. Seems my boy is aging rapidly, though I grow younger with each endowment that is transfered to him!

Buzz

Hey, at least he has good taste! I wish my dad had been into Leicas, as it stands now, I've "borrowed" 2-3 old Case knives [one carried by my grandpa when dad was a kid, even], a Remington 12 gauge, and a Ruger 10/22.

Randy

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
theinterchange said:
Hey, at least he has good taste! I wish my dad had been into Leicas, as it stands now, I've "borrowed" 2-3 old Case knives [one carried by my grandpa when dad was a kid, even], a Remington 12 gauge, and a Ruger 10/22.

Randy
Alas, in our household we do all of our shooting with Leicas.

Buzz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy