Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Vintage MOSSANT Fedora

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
If you're into vintage posters, you may have seen repros of the famous MOSSANT hats posters:

Other-Unknown-Mossant-8638.jpg
untitled.jpg
cdc59.jpg

And here are some 1930s French ads for MOSSANT:

77_1_b.jpg
17_1_b.jpg
1.jpg

Never mind the posters; I've been looking for a real 1930s Mossant fedora for months. No luck at all ... until today. Thanks again, eBay! It's the product of a collaboration between Mossant and another leading hatter of the era, “Sools Maitre Chapelier Paris”. The leather sweat band says “Castor Hudson Mossant”. Castor means beaver, so perhaps the felt comes from Hudson Bay (Canadian) beavers. Size is about 7 1/4 or 7 3/8.

Anyway, the price was right: $ 26.73. Vive les chapeaux francais!

00_1.jpg

dc_1.jpg

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Wow a French Fedora

Them there Frenchman must have looked mighty fine surrendering in that hat!

Lorne

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Holy cow, Marc...first the lavender Citation and now this one! NICE hats. Ever given any thought to becoming a buyer's agent?? Let me know, I'll PM my wish list to you!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
It shows that you really have the search Ebay often . Mossant hats have been gone for many years . I've never seen one before . They made really nice hats . I dont believe that they started to sell their hats here until the early 1950's . The company didn't last too much longer after that . :rolleyes:

EricH

One of the Regulars
Actually Mossant's were here before the 50's. I have a Mossant made in 1916 that was sold by Capper Tapper which had stores apparently in London, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Saint Paul, and Minneapolis. Mine is of the style of the era more like a wide brim porkpie than a center crease fedora. I should probably post a picture if someone can give me a hint of the best way to do it. The felt is so soft it's like petting a kitten. The price tag barely visable on the original sweat band is $15.

I hug it for consolation when I lose Mossant's to certain unnamed Loungers on Ebay. You know who you are. ;)

By the way, when I wear mine I sing "Over There" and drink great quantities of fine wine.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
EricH, somewhere in the Lounge there's a thread about posting pictures. I can't find it, but maybe someone else can.

Are you sure the store your Mossant is from wasn't CAPPER & CAPPER?

As for me, I'll wear my Mossant while drinking bootleg absinthe from Switzerland and hoping that the outrageously expensive Maginot Line will hold.

EricH

One of the Regulars
You are correct. It was Capper and Capper. Mental typo on my part. Thanks, Eric (Just don't cut cheese while wearing that new Mossant. Was that rude or am I just :rolleyes: )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24