Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Derby, Western, Fedora...a Venerable Legend, THE Stetson 3X...BEFORE 1970!!!!

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Thanks Story, you are right though that the 3x beaver logo carried on for several more decades. The roundel with squiggly lines and stars on the crest, along with the wide panel size/block sticker make it a 40’s hat.

What was a big surprise for me was to learn that the BRE and KF carried on into the 40s.
Actually, the liner roundel with stars goes on to about 1952 or so, when the stars were replaced by the maple leaf. And the squiggly lines at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock on the liner logo or roundel continue later than that. The only way those squiggly lines are diagnostic of a 40's hat is if you have them in the Stetson logo stamped on the sweatband.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
You are spot on - right on every count. Good research and great hat!
Thanks Daniel, it’s probably my last stab at a 3/8 (I’m a 1/2 LO, comfortably) hat but I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity.

Actually, the liner roundel with stars goes on to about 1952 or so, when the stars were replaced by the maple leaf. And the squiggly lines at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock on the liner logo or roundel continue later than that. The only way those squiggly lines are diagnostic of a 40's hat is if you have them in the Stetson logo stamped on the sweatband.
Mike, I’m aware or the change in 1952. My comment was meant to say that all those clues together pointed to 1940s.

Regarding your last sentence with the lines only on the sweat indicate 40s (as opposed to on the line, like mine) is new info to me. Where did you find that info?

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Thanks Daniel, it’s probably my last stab at a 3/8 (I’m a 1/2 LO, comfortably) hat but I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity.

Mike, I’m aware or the change in 1952. My comment was meant to say that all those clues together pointed to 1940s.

Regarding your last sentence with the lines only on the sweat indicate 40s (as opposed to on the line, like mine) is new info to me. Where did you find that info?
I think I had already learned that somehow, but looking at some hat or other, I momentarily forgot but another Lounge member reminded me of this fact. Also I learned it in discussion on the Lounge about when I think I was trying to date the first 40's hat I acquired that had the sweatband logo with the squiggly lines.

MikeinRome

Practically Family
I guess what I'm indirectly saying is that personally, just looking at your hat, I can't swear that it's not a very early 50's hat, although I'm not claiming it is that late.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Riiiiight… thanks? So when you say ‘the only way’ in one post, but then are unsure and can’t find evidence of said claim, then that’s probably a good indication (along with editing posts after being challenged on validity) of what is frustrating for the collective Stetson lovers here. Just saying

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Riiiiight… thanks? So when you say ‘the only way’ in one post, but then are unsure and can’t find evidence of said claim, then that’s probably a good indication (along with editing posts after being challenged on validity) of what is frustrating for the collective Stetson lovers here. Just saying
No, you're not understanding me. The squiggly lines date it to the 40's for sure, but many late 40's hats don't have the squiggly lines, so on those hats, that's why I say they are late 40's to early 50's. By the way, I never have edited a post after "being challenged". I don't have time for such foolishness or getting in trivial arguments, thank you. I'm battling 2 kinds of cancer right now and really have better things to do with my time.

Last edited:

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Do a search on the Lounge for the words "squiggly lines" and a bit down you see a post by me on the Stetson Crest Dating thread, where Just Daniel clued me in. Dated Nov 23, 2022.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
There is definitely squiggly line overlap and the darn things appear and disappear. They are just one of many indicators. For sure they at least began disappearing there in the mid/late 40s.

I think you are perfectly safe saying the indicators show this to be an early or mid 40s hat.

Every now and then someone catches me saying “This is a 30s hat” or something similar and then points out some of the indicators appear here or there, earlier or later, and I remember to go back to saying “This is probably a 30s hat,” or something similar.

Hey, they are probably right. Meh.

Do a search on the Lounge for the words "squiggly lines" and a bit down you see a post by me on the Stetson Crest Dating thread, where Just Daniel clued me in. Dated Nov 23, 2022.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Bob. Health issues have really limited what I can do for now. But my hats give me some pleasure and consolation and take my mind off the things I can't control, and I enjoy sharing them and what I learn from them with others here on the Lounge.
Mike….MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston. You might want to research them. World class facility and treatments.
Not knowing your situation i know of one long standing lounge member who had a terminal diagnosis and they gave him 10 more years of good life, not just life.
They recently saved the life of my children's mother as well.
B

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Mike….MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston. You might want to research them. World class facility and treatments.
Not knowing your situation i know of one long standing lounge member who had a terminal diagnosis and they gave him 10 more years of good life, not just life.
They recently saved the life of my children's mother as well.
B
I appreciate it, but I like being close to home and having a good network of friends to support me. Plus the hospital is only 5 minutes from home. I start radiation and chemo on the 21st for 6 weeks. I'm hoping for the best!

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Stetson 3X, 2 3/4 inch brim and 5 1/2 inch open crown. I think this is a 1940's hat because I'm not aware of any 50's hats with a paper logo in the crown. Let me know if I'm mistaken about that. If it is 50's, it's early 50's.

Attachments

• IMG_20240315_121850_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240315_121850_HDR.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240315_122116_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240315_122116_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240315_122057_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240315_122057_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240315_122009_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240315_122009_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240315_122212_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240315_122212_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240315_122321_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240315_122321_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19

Thundercolt

One of the Regulars
Stetson 3X Suede finish with self-felt band. Great hat, but it has some moth damage. 5 ½” open crown and 2 ½” raw edge brim. Very soft hand as expected, and the felt dry creases and holds its shape wonderfully. No label hiding behind the sweatband.
Nice hat, I really like that color!

Stetson 3X Suede finish with self-felt band. Great hat, but it has some moth damage. 5 ½” open crown and 2 ½” raw edge brim. Very soft hand as expected, and the felt dry creases and holds its shape wonderfully. No label hiding behind the sweatband.

Nice hat, I really like that color!

Me too. There used to be a larger palette of colors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner