Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Winter Fedora

My Pop's Closet

New in Town
When I was a kid, I used to play around in my grandfather's closet. One of the items I used to try on was a fedora. My grandfather owned several fedoras, but this particular one was different. It had earflaps that folded inward. So on really chilly days, my grandfather would unfold the earflaps to protect his ears. My grandfather could've purchased this in Europe, or in America after he and my grandmother immigrated from West Germany in December 1952.

I haven't seen anything like it here in America. So it may be a European thing. But it seems awfully practical. In fact, I wish I had that hat for my use the last two weeks.

MattJH

One Too Many
My Pop's Closet said:
When I was a kid, I used to play around in my grandfather's closet. One of the items I used to try on was a fedora. My grandfather owned several fedoras, but this particular one was different. It had earflaps that folded inward. So on really chilly days, my grandfather would unfold the earflaps to protect his ears. My grandfather could've purchased this in Europe, or in America after he and my grandmother immigrated from West Germany in December 1952.

I haven't seen anything like it here in America. So it may be a European thing. But it seems awfully practical. In fact, I wish I had that hat for my use the last two weeks.

Tilley makes two hats like this. Check out the "TW2 Winter Hat" or the "Tilley Fedora." The latter is fur felt. Both have built-in fold-down ear warmers. I own the TW2 for times like this in Philadelphia when degrees plummet to the teens. If you choose one, buy a size larger. I'm a 7 3/4 unless it's a Tilley, in which case I'm a 7 7/8.

The real Henry

Practically Family
@Dumbjaw: Could you probably post some pics of your hat? If it doesn't look too silly I maybe would like to make such earwarmes for some of my hats.

Regards,
Henrik

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Nifty. I remember dressing in the morning in Moscow and thinking ... do I dare the cold and wear a fedora or do I don the winter cap? If only I could do both!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24