• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

A word to men who wear high boots

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Fletch, Feb 10, 2009.

1. First, I bow to your much superior knowledge on the subject.

I know that in California the CHP officers who patrol on motorcycles (motor officers) wear the high boots (motor boots) with their breaches bloused. The motor officers are quite proud of their look and their black boots are usually well-shined.

If there is a purpose for the high boots I'm fine with it. For a fashion statement or casual look: not so much. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward likes this.
  2. The CHP use them; I beleive there are a bunch of other US police forces that still have these knee-high boots issued to their motorcycle division (some laced, some buckled). Interesting that they all seem to have stuck with the taller, slimmer fitting boots (similar with motorcycle police here in the UK, very much Lewis-style, with the buckles at the top and round the bsck of the ankle, zips right up the back), even as shorter alternative are available. Certainly echoes the original military cavalry dress uniforms to some extent.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  3. The California Highway Patrol has a uniform committee that meets regularly. Any suggestion of change to the uniform is considered an act of treason. Tradition trumps everything else. I like that and I dislike it at the same time.

Bruce Wayne and Edward like this.
  4. Ha, I know exactly what you mean! There's a wonderful elegance about old school police uniforms; I don't much care for the more modern style that look less civilian police, more combat gear. But yes, needs must and an open mind to something thatmight perform better in getting the job done I can see beingh important too.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  5. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Call Me a Cab

Technically (or strictly speaking), the boots worn by the typical German soldier in WWII and well into the 1970s, too, by the way, were not jack boots. I'm not sure of the term they used, maybe just marching boots. Russian soldiers also used essentially the same sort of boot, although judging from photos, the Russian version was a little higher, a little narrower in the leg and probably thinner, too. Only the Russians could have a full-length dance performance with everyone wearing boots.

Jack boots were, at least in one definition, specifically made for heavy cavalry (light cavalry wore something else) that featured very stiff tops. They're still worn by such heavy cavalry as still exists. But feel free to use the term any way your wish. Names change, too.

Marching boots with buckled tops, almost like the last pattern US cavalry boots, were introduced in the Germany Army in the early 1930s, possibly experimentally, but those on issue continued in use as long as they lasted, which was into the beginning of WWII. Riding boots were also widely used in the German army, too, of course, and they were a feature of the S.S. uniform for all ranks. Even though all of these various kinds of boots were military items, they were subject to fads and fashions as much as any article of civilian clothing. For active service, though, pull-on marching boots seem to have largely been replaced for military use by lace-up boots these days.

6. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

I prefer the shorter boots of the infamous Black Shorts:

[​IMG]