Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a2 horsehide jacket

kojax

Practically Family
i am looking at two a2 horsehide leather jackets u.s mfgh and gibson -barnes .....i have the sample of the gibson -barnes ther hh mahogany looks nice....i called them they say there hh is not that heavy.....anybody have any ideas. thank you kojax..........

Feraud

Bartender
Have you gone through the jacket threads? There is a lot of info out there.
I have the G&B and am happy with it.

Not sure if you are looking for a heavy jacket.

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Having owned one was not real thick but very smooth HH. If that is what you like then it should be fine. I feel you can't go wrong with a GandB for what you get and customer service is first rate.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
am looking at two a2 horsehide leather jackets u.s mfgh and gibson -barnes ...

Why may I ask are you limiting yourself to these 2 makers? IMO there are some other makers out these that you will be very pleased with. Have you given any thought to looking at all the makers?

ldmax

Familiar Face
Kojax, you have been posting this same question every week or so for the last year. Dude, its time to just bite the bullet. It took me a long time to decide on a jacket, too. But at some point, you just have to go ahead and order one. If you are like most of us, you will want another one (or two or three) anyway! Either of your choices will make an excellent first A2. Based on that first experience, you will gain knowledge and insight that will help you make that inevitable second A2 purchase.
Best wishes,

Tony

Feraud

Bartender
I think most of us have had the same feelings when buying a first hat, jacket, or other expensive purchase.

Keep in mind if you order something and are unsatisfied you can usually return or exchange it.
When I purchased my G&B a2, the sales people were extremely helpful in questions about sizing. The exchange process ( I went from a size 42 to 40) went smoothly.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

Oh, I have to jump in. Kojax, like you, I have bought (and, now, sold) a few A-2s. I started with a used Eastman from eBay that I still have, jumped to a G&B -- returned it; the durn thing was too big -- and then got the US Authentic. Readers who pay attention know that I have extolled its heavy leather. I chop wood in that thing.
A Cooper came. It went.
And then, after some searching my soul and banking account, I bit the pricey bullet and bought a Good Wear.
So, like so many of you guys, I have several A-2s. Each is different in various ways. The best by far, of course, is the most expensive one.
Anyhow, just pull the figurative trigger. You'll only end up buying another one, anyway.

rumblefish

One Too Many
kojax said:
thank you tony. you are right********

IMO, If the funds are available, go for the Goodwear. As Idmax says the second purchase is inevitable. Wouldn't it be nice to have them all true to the originals? A dark horse hide Werber or Aero then a light goat Rough Wear or Doniger, then...... I understand Goodwear is also expanding their line of A-2s. Check out the thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=25447 Good Luck!!!

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
"If the funds are available, go for the Goodwear."

This is really, really good advice. I have a Good Wear -- the Doniger -- and cannot imagine a better A-2.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

If I count correctly, you have three votes for Good Wear in -- what? 10 posts? -- and so that ought to tell you something. Good clothes ain't cheap, and -- everybody together, now -- cheap clothes ain't good!

Estevan

One of the Regulars
I have a Good Wear -- the Doniger -- and cannot imagine a better A-2.

How 'bout an original one.....?

CIMG6920.jpg

Windsock

A-List Customer
First repro A-2- RMNZ Dubow.
Second repro A-2- Goodwear United Sheeplined
Third- another Goodwear in the pipeline- this time a Dubow.

Save your money for the best you can get. John has some cheaper prototypes available which are almost as good as the production types if not the same, also they often appear on Ebay as a bargain and the cheaper brands will never satisfy.

CopyofP7230701.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy