Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 re-dye advice needed

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
I just got this buzz rickson rough wear and though I'm sure there are fans of the colour but it's not for me. I would like to keep it as it's the best fitting A2 i've ever had so my only option is a home redye to dark brown.
I know this is going to kill the value but I'm willing to take the chance as if it comes out half decent thus will hopefully be the last A2 I buy.
I've never done anything like this before son any advice and tips will be much appreciated.

1. This was anilined dyed?
2. If it was, that means the dye is permeated right through the leather and nothing is going to remove it, you cannot take it back to a bare finish?
3. Would putting a dark brown dye over the existing colour work?

I'm in Australia and might not be able to get the same products the are available overseas.
I can get anything from the tandy Australia website.
The dyes there are ecoflow and fiebings.
The link for the dyes.
https://www.tandyleather.com.au/en/category/dyes-antiques

4. Which dye is best to use oil, spirit or water based.
5. The colour charts for the dyes are not that good the is darkest brown for each type the best to get close to seal brown.
5. How much do dye you need.
6. Do you need to apply a cleaner first like acetone.
7. How long to wait to apply the dye if you have used a cleaner first.
8. What is the best way to apply the dye.
9. Any tips for avoiding getting dye on the liner and knits.
9. Do you need to apply some kind of topcoat or finish over the dye when you are done, if you do how long after dyeing.

P1010269.jpg
P1010272 (1).jpg

Last edited:

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
Take it to a company that does this professionally.

I live in Perth, and sadly lacking in just about any type of thing or service related to vintage clothing.
The things you guys over east and overseas take for granted are just non existent here.
The only place I could find here that might do it said it can't be done, if they tried they could do only it black and the cost would have been nearly as much as I
paid for the jacket.
I can get new rust knits, have them fitted, pay for the dye and do it myself and would still be paying less than getting anther decent maker a2 used.
Sending it overseas or over east and paying for the postage and redye will probably make it too costly, though if you know of anyone over east who can do it let me know and I can see.
I'm not after a new looking jacket by redying, the only info I could find on the web for this buzz rickson was from worthpoint for a used jacket from 2009 and it's nicely broken in.
If it looks new at first thats okay though I'm hoping a home redye would age quicker, I'm not looking to artificially age any dye job.

Last edited:

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
I've asked so many questions because whenever i try to do anything like this it normally ends in disaster.
He doesn't mention if he treated the leather first before dyeing and for fiebing there are two types of dye, oil and spirit.
Tandys dye which others here have used comes in water and oil base.

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
Tommer doesn't post much anymore...but scroll down in this thread to post # 17 for more info...(the 'search' option is your friend)......

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/legendary-brown-hh-wild-stallion.43010/

Thanks, a better description there, he used fiebings dark brown spirit based dye which I can get.
I understand how to dye it now.
Still not sure what to use to prep the jacket first, what to use as a final finish [would pecards do or do you need something special] and how much dye to buy as I have to mail order it.
Both of those dyed jackets look great to me.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I live in Perth, and sadly lacking in just about any type of thing or service related to vintage clothing.
The things you guys over east and overseas take for granted are just non existent here.
The only place I could find here that might do it said it can't be done, if they tried they could do only it black and the cost would have been nearly as much as I
paid for the jacket.

What price to have it done in Sydney or Melbourne? I'd pay up to $350 to have it done. It might be fun to take a risk and do it yourself as you clearly are wanting to. Keep us posted.

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
What price to have it done in Sydney or Melbourne? I'd pay up to $350 to have it done. It might be fun to take a risk and do it yourself as you clearly are wanting to. Keep us posted.

Got the buzz from a guy in NSW funnily enough, paying that kind of money to dye it would not be worth it to me, I would sell it on but I don't want to as the fit is so perfect.
I've worn nothing but vintage since I was 16 and I'm 52 this year, I've had countless leathers since then but not many A2's.

I lost a lot of weight a few months ago 4" off the waist so everything I own is now way too big, my entire wardrobe is now redundant as a lot of it was a little big to start with now its huge.
Just about All of my sun surf shirts, 40s and 50s suits and overcoats, gab shirts and jackets, selvage jeans and jackets, and leather jackets that I spent my whole life accumulating are now oversized for me and only a few things I kept from I was way younger fit me again, even my damn rings are too big now, at least my shoes still fit.

As I used to live in London and LA a while back finding vintage was easy and you could try stuff on but now everything is going to be from ebay or the net and what pain in the ass that is for getting the right fit as I've learned since living in Australia, people overseas don't realise how hard it is to get anything here, so I am spending a bit lately trying to restock my wardrobe and the $ are an issue for me now.

You are right, seeing other peoples dye jobs makes me really want to do it now even though I have visions of acetone explosions and spilt dye everywhere.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'd bite the bullet and flip it to fund another in a color you like. Not worth fussing around with, and I think that jacket is pretty unique in its natural state. Of course it's your jacket, so do with it as you please! ;)

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I appreciate the dilemma, I've got a battered horse hide jacket that, while I quite like the fit, both the colour and a couple of details on it bug me and I don't really seem to wear it.

I've been tempted to have a go at dying it but at the same time, going from my own past experience of such things, I've left it and kept a look out for something else. If a better jacket came a long then I'd sell it off against that. But that hasn't happened yet and the temptation to dye it remains...

Good luck with whatever route you go down. And if you do try to change the colour, do please post the results.

BobJ

Practically Family
I've never dyed a leather jacket, but I have dyed plenty of boots and shoes with Fiebings, and have ALWAYS liked the results. On some of them I did use acetone to remove layers of waxy polish or polyurethane topcoats, and never ever had a problem. I did nourish the leather afterwards with something like Lexol or Pecards. I never used any sealant because I wanted the leather to be able to breathe.

You only have to be careful around the knits. You could use a fine brush or sponge and a steady hand, or you could try masking tape or a stiff plastic straight edge pressed down firmly on the knits.

If you apply successive light coats of dye, you can achieve your desired variations and depth of color, and control how dark you want it to finally be.

If you take the time and enjoy this project, you will like the jacket even more than if you had sent it away and had it done professionally... it will be yours in a very unique way, and definitely one of a kind.

Go for it! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner