Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2's, do you miss handwarmer pockets?

guitone

Familiar Face
Well then if the fit is good, and I hope the 38 does it, then that may be it. I have to resolve my aversion to epaulets, if I cannot then the A2 with no epaulets, at that point since I am paying $100 more I would add handwarmers and an inner pocket. Can't think of anything else to add, I think two innter pockets would be too much. The goat, as I mentioned in another post, of the US Authentic jacket is so different than the G&B FLightsuit, more supple and substantial, better looking, I really liked it. I also think the cut of their jacket was nicer and I think the 38 will fit perfect, sure hope so. I should get it mid week so if the epaulets do not stick up (pucker) I may decide to just live with them, but on the 40 they puckered big time and that did not work for me, but the jacket was just too big all over.

guitone

Familiar Face
BT, thanks..then it must have been the fact that the jacket was just too big.. It would be nice to save the $100 and just have the jacket as it is intended...hope it works out that way.

STHill

One of the Regulars
Like K.C., I thought I'd miss the handwarmers, but I didn't. An A-2, in a proper 1940's trim fit, is really more like a heavy shirt than a jacket anyway. If it's cold enough to need handwarmer pockets, a heavier jacket is probably more appropriate. IMO, of course.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I like the additional handwarmer pockets on my Wings VIP A2000. Oddly enough, I have them on my Indy jackets and never use them, but I use them on my A-2's all the time! :rolleyes: Regards! Michaelson

Mountain Pilot

New in Town
Hand warmer pocket will catch on cockpit protrusions

Never forget the design and purpose of these jackets. Their not at home, in design, out of the cockpit. I had a knock-off A-2, and in a short while, the leather handwarmer pockets streached open. Then they caught on everything they could while I was climbing into and out of the cockpit of a vintage A/C. Reference my posting on the Goodson A-2 I did some work to.
Perhaps also the USAAC just couldn't afford making these jacket with too many features. They had to make so many of them.
Auf Wiedersehn. . . :cheers1:

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
With an A-2 you put your hands in your pants pockets (look at war time photographs). If your jacket covers the openings to your pants pockets, it's too long.

Alan

Edward

Bartender
Here's a thought, too... (I speak as someone who owns a modern style, baggy bomber, and is currently saving to buy an accurate A2 repro).... doesn't it have something to do with the length of the jacket? I tend to always walk hands in pockets, no matter what the out fit. Handwarmer pockets in a jacket seem natural if the jacket extends down far enough that they are in line with the toruser pockets, more or less (as is the case on a modern fit baggy bomber). OTOH, as far as I can make out a WW2 era accurate A2 stopped much closer the waist, so the trouser pockets would be accessible for the hands. In that case, i wouldn't miss them.

As to accuracy, A2s didn't have them as issued, but I'm sure I read on ELC or Aero or one of those sites a description of a jacket designed to replicate a field-modified jacket - one of those variations was handwarmer pockets, so it doesn't seem any great sin to add them in if you absolutely can't be without them.

ETA: Mr Eardley got in there first, and puts it rather better (and more succinctly) than I have!

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
I have never even thought about the lack of hand warmer pockets when I put on my A2.

How about puting the money you will save on ordering a standard jacket towards a pair of gloves?

Cheerio;)

greyhound68

A-List Customer
From what I had read was that no handwarmer pockets on the original A2s because the powers that be thought it would make their airman look like criminals. Go figure that one out. I like to stick with the original deal and have no handwarmer pockets which is why I got the A10 USAAF gloves that really keep your hands warm.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
HWP are convenient but not in a desirable way. In my case, they encourage me to stuff gloves (or hands) in them, even as cel phone, iPod, fountain pen and other necessities occupy the patch pockets. This results in a look known to my Italian ancestors as the labonz'.

Edward

Bartender
Fletch said:
HWP are convenient but not in a desirable way. In my case, they encourage me to stuff gloves (or hands) in them, even as cel phone, iPod, fountain pen and other necessities occupy the patch pockets. This results in a look known to my Italian ancestors as the labonz'.

I know three words of Italian - and two of those are "Vito Corleone." lol I have no problem figuring out what your ancestors meant though even if i can't translate the word. :D That is the think I've found with modern, baggier style bombers with the HWP - it all seems to add the bulk roundthe gut region, exaggerating any belly one might have, and creating one for those lucky enough not to have an overhang there to begin with!

FWIW.... a few months ago I picked up a Harrington for warmer weather wear (and because I've always wanted a bright red jacket... :D ). There are handwarmer pockets in that which I've simply never used because the overall length of the jacket - about the same as an A2 - is such that the trousers pockets are perfectly accessible. :)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Alan Eardley said:
With an A-2 you put your hands in your pants pockets (look at war time photographs). If your jacket covers the openings to your pants pockets, it's too long.

Alan

That makes perfect sense and I concur with that. When wearing a A2 your hands can go into your (khaki) pants pockets.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
As to accuracy, A2s didn't have them as issued, but I'm sure I read on ELC or Aero or one of those sites a description of a jacket designed to replicate a field-modified jacket - one of those variations was handwarmer pockets, so it doesn't seem any great sin to add them in if you absolutely can't be without them.

Here is that jacket Ed:

56782292.jpg

56782389.jpg

green papaya

One Too Many
I prefer NO handwarmer pockets on my A2, the style looks sleeker and more authentic without the hand warmers

hand warmers take away the classic looks of the A2

I prefer the original flap pockets because they are more secure for putting extra cash, loose change, papers, pocket watch, etc

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

I'll pile on and say I don't prefer the handwarmer pockets, either. But I do like having an inside pocket; it's a trait that makes the G-1 a really nice jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo