Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AB Deluxe and the Teardrop of the Crystal Skull

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
After seeing photos of Adventurebilt lids here on the Lounge and over on COW for so long, it truly is a thrill to finally own one. Marc Kitter has done an absolutely beautiful job of making a superb lid -- the workmanship is impeccable, the materials are first-rate, and this hat is beautiful and rock-solid all at the same time.

The rawbody used to make this lid came from the batch of rawbodies Marc used to make the lids for IJ4 -- so, from a felt perspective, this is about as screen-accurate as it gets. The color of this felt is absolutely gorgeous -- a beautiful rich chocolate brown, and the color of the ribbon provides a perfect complement. I absolutely love the weight and feel of this felt. The hat feels extremely sturdy, while at the same time having a smoothness that is almost impossible to describe. I didn't know what to expect in terms of the "roo" sweatband -- Marc had described it as "tough as nails," and he is right. It is actually very pretty -- not as soft as a roan sweat, but I have a feeling it will soften just a bit with use and hold up wonderfully over time.

For those who have not yet had the occasion to deal with Marc, let me just say that it is a real pleasure. Marc was extremely responsive and helpful in answering my questions and assisting me in deciding on the final specs. It was a first-class experience all around. Mark is a true gentleman who makes an extraordinary lid, and I couldn't recommend the entire experience more highly.

This lid was made using the Crystal Skull block, but I had Marc ship it to me open crown. At first, I simply put a quick center dent in the hat to check out the Indy look. Given the blocking, it is extremely easy to accomplish a center dent bash that looks great. But, alas, the center dent sits right on my noggin, so, as I had predicted, it was time to take a different approach. ;) Indy purists may shudder, but I went with a teardrop crease which elevates the crown and also allows for a nice rake from front to back. I wasn't sure how this would ultimately work out, but I'm very pleased with the result.

Thanks again to Marc for making a truly fantastic lid! :eusa_clap

CrystalSkullCenter.jpg

TeardropCrystalSkull.jpg

Liner-12.jpg

RooSweat.jpg

CrystalSkullR.jpg

CrystalSkullL.jpg

CrystalSkullSun.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Graemsay

Practically Family
I had a chat to both Steve and Marc about hats, and both were quoting an eleven month delivery time fairly recently.

I don't know if the film release (out today over here in the Netherlands :D) will have an effect, but I suspect that getting an order in sooner would be beneficial. Particularly as Steve was talking about putting up his prices.

Incidentally, I ended up putting my order in with Marc for two Adventurebilt Deluxes. (One of which was on behalf of my brother - having a Euro account means dodging PayPal.) The reason was that with shipping and import duty, a US hat will end up costing nearly as much as a Deluxe, but the Deluxe sounds nicer. And I wanted a bound brim on my hat, which is something that Steve doesn't offer.

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
I totally love the teardrop crease. It really looks good on this hat.
I have a Federation IV on the way and I was planning a teardrop for it as well.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
That looks great. I love the teardrop crease. I've never been much of a centerdent fan. Less so now that I own a centerdent panama - I too discovered that it has a tendancy to sit directly on the top of my head.

So who's offering this hat with a bound brim? That would be very close to the perfect hat.

-Dave

Graemsay

Practically Family
A bound brim is an option on an Adventurebilt Deluxe. Marc charges 449 euros (from memory) for these.

If the Euro / Dollar exchange rate is too painful for you then an alternative would be to order a hat from Steve (the standard AB), and post it up to Optimo to get the brim bound ($20).

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful hat, JTL, but the teardrop crease you put in is what really makes it great in my book! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Enjoy!
Tom

PS Wearing it to the opening tonight? :D

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Teardrop?! Heretic!

:)

The JtL Teardrop™ looks great, as always. I'd like to get an AB Deluxe some time, but the exchange rates are prohibitive. Maybe one of these days.

In the meantime I'm awaiting my AB from Steve.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks, Gents. It's nice to know that there are others out there who like the look of a teardrop crease on an AB. I think using the teardrop crease on the AB Deluxe just emphasizes that the AB isn't just a great Indy lid -- it's a great lid, period.

Tom -- No, I didn't make it to the premier last evening. :( But, I am seriously thinking of playing hooky today and catching a matinee...:D

Cheers,
JtL

jkingrph

Practically Family
After I got my AB I rebashed it to a teardrop. It is by far my favorite block, along with a telescope. Recently I had one of my dad's old westerns re blocked to a teardrop, a stiff large fedora, thin ribbon now . It looks more like one of the wide brimmed fedora's of the 1930's era.

Just got another panama, teardrop, diamond crease, and have about 3 Resistol western's with a teardrop crown, one of which I sort of made into a hybrid, turning front of brim down like a fedora to better shade my eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany