Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

About your vintage clothes!

MJistheBOMB

New in Town
I have a few questions for you all :) ...answer what ever ones you like :):

*Do you have a large collection of vintage clothes?

*Do you collect MORE that just the clothes?

*How often do you dress in your vintage attire?

*Do any of you make your own vintage inspired clothing?

*How do people react when they see you dressed that way? Good response? Weird looks? (Although, I don't know why people should respond negetively to such beautiful clothes)

I'm just curious :). I'm new to this whole scene but, to answer my own questions:

*I don't have a large collection of vintage clothing...I just purchased my first 50s rockabilly shirt today on Ebay. The way Ebay has taken me over in the passed, my collection won't be tiny for long. LOL.

*As of now, I don't think I'll collect anything other than vintage clothing.

*I plan on wearing my vintage look every chance I get :)

*If I can ever learn to sew, I definetly will make my own clothes :)

*...and those are all the questions I can answer :)

Monique

decodoll

Practically Family
MJistheBOMB said:

So, so...I'm sure it's nothing compared to some. I do have a pretty good collection of vintage shoes, however. :) What is not vintage is vintage looking or made from vintage patterns.

Yup! Lots of stuff! Books, sewing patterns, dishes, hair curling implements, knick knacks, anything that strikes my fancy...

daily

Do any of you make your own vintage inspired clothing?

yes

*How do people react when they see you dressed that way? Good response? Weird looks? (Although, I don't know why people should respond negetively to such beautiful clothes)

I get a lot of compliments, a few weird looks, but not many really. I live in San Francisco, and my way of dressing is nothin' compared to what a lot of other people wear here! :D

fifi

Familiar Face
MJistheBOMB said:

Yes, my wardrobe used to consist of about 85-90% vintage. Now, though, it's less since I've purged some things and the vintage market is a bit thinner then it used to be. Even my favorite brick-and-mortar vintage stores aren't as well stocked as I like.

Oh, baby, yes, furniture, art, kitchenware, odds 'n ends...

Every day. If not head to toe, then at least one piece (shoes, purse, skirt, etc.)

I have made a couple of things, and I desperately need to find time to sew, because I'm dying to make more pieces that I can't find in stores or on eBay.

I get people commenting on my clothes, but nothing oddball. I usually wear separates (skirts and sweaters with platforms or Spring-o-lators) so I look appropriate but not costumey. I am overdressed for most L.A. occasions, however.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award

A decent amount. I go from 1880's to the 1950's. Most of it is for collection only. I generally wear only 40's and later pieces and make my earlier stuff.

Oh gosh, what don't I collect. For fashion or textile related stuff- vintage magazines, antique books, vintage textiles (sheets, embroidered pieces, pillowcases, etc), fabric, vintage patterns, sewing odds and ends, buttons. Not clothing related- antique anything as far as accent pieces go. I have a new affinity for reverse painted glass art deco frames. I also love antique furniture and making over lost pieces when I get the chance. I love paper ephermia- especially magazines (Vogue, Mccall, Ladies Home Journal, Delineator, Peterson's, Woman's Home Companion, Modern Priscilla, Better Homes & Gardens- ranging from the 1800's to the 1940's), scrapbooks, old photo albums, tally cards- you name it. Especially from the 20's and 30's.

On occasison. I will add one vintage piece in for a twist. I generally wear remakes more often because I don't want to damage my vintage- I put wear and tear on my clothes.

Yes. Mostly from authentic patterns, though occasionally I'll sew something modern with a vintage look or draft my own patterns.

They love it. Especially the older generation (and boys love to see a gal dressed like a lady. I've actually had gangster looking boys open doors for me!)

Vanessa

One Too Many
It's growing clothing-wise. I have lots of shoes, hats & purses. . . never enough, though. :rolleyes:

Patterns! I *heart* patterns, because eventually, I will get around to making everything.

Sadly, not often enough. I try to dress vintage inspired every day and then pick a day or two to go all out. In winter, it's especially tough because it would just get destroyed outside.

Yes! Wish I didn't have to work so much at my boring job & just sit at home and sew.

Older generations love it. . .younger ones make snarky comments about "trying to be arty".

decodoll

Practically Family
Vanessa said:
Yes! Wish I didn't have to work so much at my boring job & just sit at home and sew.

hehe...I was just saying that to my husband yesterday....for the millionth time! :)

maisie

Practically Family
Yes way to much (3 wardrobes!!;), but if I see something I just have to buy it!! But I mainly collect just 1930s/40's items, but I do have some FAB New Look items!

Yes shoes(my BIG weakeness), hats, handbags, ect!!

Not daily, but when going to 1940s dances, WWII weekend, ect.

Unfortunaly no, can't sew to save my life! Would love to learn in the near future though!

Most of the time its good comments, eg, I love those shoes, that suit is fab, ect.
I

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner