Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accents, whats your Favourite?????

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Thora Zine said:
I may regret this, but can we hear your 'Heroes of the Counterculture' routine? If you have an MP3, I can host it for ya ;)

I'm afraid you'll have to catch me in person for that one - there are actions that help it along (even eye movements - big spacey looks versus squinty and all that). I'll throw you an amusing link to other stuff via PM though, if you like.

PS: I have to hear your Dylan cover!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess the Aussie accent is my fav. I have a WW2 air combat simulator and sometimes when flying for Britain a squadron mate says "Bloody good shooting mate!" after I get a kill. I love it.:)

Amelie

A-List Customer
Roaring Days said:
I wonder if I heard you speak that you would have a non accent to me, bieng an Aussie, I should be able to pick you as a North American at least, that is if you are not a French Canadian....

I am the french canadian, and trust me it sounds quite differently from a french trying to speak english: we learn the canadian/american way, they learn the british way.

This makes a HUGE difference! lol (well at least to me, but I might be crazy... tho you should try to hear the samples in the data base named earlier, you would probably hear what I am thinking of lol)

But my favourite accents are definately british ans scotish ones, oh god these are so sexy, I wish I could spend some time in UK just to have some of it for me lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Which might explain why so many Southern Californians have no real accent. For the most part, their grandparents came here from the Midwest. (e.g., My dad's family was originally from Iowa.)

My uncle grew up in Pismo Beach. He sounded just like John Wayne.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
There is a whole contingent of people out West that throw this "R" into the word Wash or Washington, it becomes Warshington, Warsh. Strange indeed.

Indeed. I grew up using a warshcloth. [huh]

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
There is a whole contingent of people out West that throw this "R" into the word Wash or Washington, it becomes Warshington, Warsh. Strange indeed.

Actually, John, Rs seem to float out of words like "car" and "park" from states in the northeast, such as Boston, and land in words in the southwestern states, such as Texas and parts of California. :D

Lee

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Amelie said:
I am the french canadian, and trust me it sounds quite differently from a french trying to speak english: we learn the canadian/american way, they learn the british way.

This makes a HUGE difference! lol (well at least to me, but I might be crazy... tho you should try to hear the samples in the data base named earlier, you would probably hear what I am thinking of lol)

But my favourite accents are definately british ans scotish ones, oh god these are so sexy, I wish I could spend some time in UK just to have some of it for me lol

I think you're right about that Amelie, but the Quebecois french accent is quite nice to listen to in my humble opinion.:)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Nice Accents

The Dublin is beautiful and Cork not bad either - Ulster is amusing but harsh.

Soft Highland Scottish (like my old aunt from Dundee) is nice - Glaswegian is highly amusing but harsh.

South African/Zimbo/Euro Kenyan talked a bit pukka is nice - straight out of J'Burg not.

Kiwi talked educated is nice - country Kiwi can be irritating with those twisted/exaggerated vowels.

Ocker Aussie is not nice - period!

West Country and Welsh are melodious and a bit amusing as well with the burr.

Jamaican is very funny Barbadian and Antilles and Bermudan is very pleasant on the ear.

French accented English is nice - German is not - Spanish is not - but Portuguese is okay - Italian well.....Scandinavian is entertaining.

Pukka/Clipped Indian from Delhi/Bombay is soft and very quaint. Other regional varieties can be hard to understand even when spoken fluently.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
One of the sexiest women I ever knew spoke full-strength Baltimore...that slow urban drawl that flattens out round vowels and not only elides letters from some words, but adds letters to others. It's not in itself a very lovely way of talking, but in Lisa's soft, high, slightly hoarse voice it was flat-out sensuous.

I like a lot of Canadian accents (and yes there are several). Probably because I generally like Canadians.

The nicest sounding speakers in the midwest are probably in Missouri.

I once heard that the closest to a "standard" American accent was spoken in Cincinnati.

Welsh speech has a particular gentle lilt to it that is hard to define. Listen to Richard Burton or Anthony Hopkins. I once heard Tom Jones interviewed and his speaking voice was the opposite of his belting singing voice - very warm and calming. It's strange when you consider that Welsh people actually speaking Welsh sound positively unearthly, like a recording being played backwards.

Hondo

One Too Many
If I had to pick one, I’d say the British or Liverpool; I think they call it “cockney” mainly because I grew up during the Beatles or British music invasion. Next might the just European (Welsh is cool, Richard Burton) and although I speak no French, I get romantic with French accents ;)

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Appalachian Southern.. (pronounced apple-at-chun for those what ain't never lived in God's Country :) )

Resolved: The words nine rice andfive do not contain the letter "y".

Michaelson

One Too Many
Good question. I'm partial to a good Scottish or Irish broque....lol

What continually surprises (and amuses me) is when I'm sometimes told how nice my Southern Tennessee accent sounds on the phone. I have an accent?[huh]

Regards! Michaelson

Feraud

Bartender
Michaelson said:
What continually surprises (and amuses me) is when I'm sometimes told how nice my Southern Tennessee accent sounds on the phone. I have an accent?[huh]

Regards! Michaelson
I am frequently asked, "what part of Brooklyn are you from?
Brooklyn? I am from Queens!"

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
I'm a sucker for English, Australian, and Texan accents.

I just moved from SoCal to Texas a few months back. My Californian accent seems to throw the locals off sometimes. lol

DW Evans

New in Town
My old roommate, who was from Michigan, said that I had the heaviest Southern
accent he's ever heard.

I lived in Iowa for about four years and everyone called me Texas.

Personally, I didn't think that I had much of an accent; or voice for that matter.
But I've had quite a few people tell me otherwise. Some say I should be on radio
or take up singing. But I'm shy... :eek:

My voice is pretty low so if there happens to be a lot of noise in the air you
probably won't be able to hear me but I'm pretty sure I'll vibrate your soul...hehe.

I don't really have a favorite when it comes to accents. Basically, I let a
woman's eyes do all of the talking. And I try to be a good listener.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran