Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ADAM ALLEY

RobStC

A-List Customer
billyspew said:
Here's the current list of models...

Mainliner
Pacesetter
Sundial
Romabout
Strand
Statesman
Vari-Ames
Monroe
Plaza
Marston
Waco
Havard 40
Ralston
Continental
Futura
Major
Madison
Hampton
Exton
Crosley
L.B.J.
Tremont
The Envoy
Airlines
Mr Boulevard -Pacesetter?
Newport
York
Sutton
Texarkana
Buttony
Triport

Like the new avatar, Billyspew. V. subtle and arty but 'revealing' at the same time. No question as to which brand you put your money behind.....

I have to say I admire your energy and single-mindedness in pursuing all the Adam info, which you've so kindly shared with the Lounge over the last few months.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Regards,
Rob St.C

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Adam Concord Stingy

3881162191_f23462ce30_b.jpg
3881162467_66731cc659.jpg
3881960270_95ed4bc496.jpg
3881958674_8b637207d1_o.jpg

Slightly long hair(Satin) black with 1-5/8" brim. Color is accurate on head shot.

Adam Majestic

Adam Majestic

Picked up another super JohnnyPhi Adam. This was open crown and has the very pliable thin Adam felt. There are some moth nibbles and a small stain on the under brim but nothing really noticeable.

3885133388_46dcb0bc6b_b.jpg

3885133624_c718343f2c_b.jpg

3885133672_274d8f8972_b.jpg

3885133704_81ab8ffc48_b.jpg

3885133890_8345718cbf_b.jpg

3885133940_7b59c6f821_b.jpg

3885134010_771c261798_b.jpg

3884339529_1e2d54423d_b.jpg

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Joe McCarthy Wore an Adam Hat size 7 3/8

From A conspiracy so immense: the world of Joe McCarthy By David M. Oshinsky

Link to an excerpt from a Google Book

The link takes you to the spot in the book where Joe McCarthy punched columnist Drew Pearson. McCarthy calls for a boycott of the sponsor of the columnist's radio show: Adam Hats. The company announces that it had already planned to move their budget to TV -- an announcement not believed at first. Turns out McCarthy heard about the cancellation beforehand and used that knowledge when calling for the boycott.

The link also reveals McCarthy's hat size: 7 3/8

I wonder where that TV commercial got off to?

billyspew

One Too Many
New addition:

Mainliner
Pacesetter
Sundial
Romabout
Strand
Statesman
Vari-Ames
Monroe
Plaza
Marston
Waco
Havard 40
Ralston
Continental
Futura
Major
Madison
Hampton
Exton
Crosley
L.B.J.
Tremont
The Envoy
Airlines
Mr Boulevard -Pacesetter?
Newport
York
Sutton
Texarkana
Buttony
Triport
Telepinch
Fleetwood

billyspew

One Too Many
In my research on Adam I have discovered that they did not make their own hats until 1953, 29 years after the company's inception, until that time they had only been a wholesale and retail company.

I was intrigued as to who had made their hats until that point.
Thankfully I have some starting points in the liners and logo's used.

The first one I can now reveal, that made at least some of their hats is a company under the Knox Hat Co., Inc. (well they were purchased in 1927 by them and were still operating under that umbrella in 1929). The company was named Long's Hat Stores Corp. My starting point for this was Rick Blaine's LONGROYAL. I was trying to find a Hat company that used a similar designation, and finally I came across this ad from 1942 for Long's Hats. Notice the featured at all Adam Hat Stores at the bottom and the model name of Long Royal.

Also compare the logos:
Logo.jpg
adamlongroyalliner.jpg

I'm now thinking more about Lefty's comment regarding the similarity here:
Liner-BowlerOld.jpg
DSCN3100.jpg

Did Stetson make hats for other people or is this a clear case of copying?

Bill

Edit: Has anyone seen a Long's hat other than Rick's?
Edit2: Douglas it seems has/had one: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=200432&postcount=1

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Shameless, but successfull...

billyspew said:
I'm now thinking more about Lefty's comment regarding the similarity here:
Liner-BowlerOld.jpg
DSCN3100.jpg

Did Stetson make hats for other people or is this a clear case of copying?

Bill

Edit: Has anyone seen a Long's hat other than Rick's?
Edit2: Douglas it seems has/had one: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=200432&postcount=1

Great discussion. I haven't seen any mention of Long in my stash, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. Makes sense that Adam was buying wholesale hats and using their retail distribution channels to make some dough.

In general, Adam was shameless when it came to copying the leading brands' style. Their whole strategy was to make decent quality hats, with the same styles as the leading brands. Then, they would sell the hats at one "price-point" lower than the Stetsons of the world. They offered a "$10" hat for $7.50, etc.

If you're going to copy the style, why not copy the logo?

Also, going back to what Mr. Cohen told me... Stetson squeezed him for a large guaranteed purchase every year, so he stopped buying from them. Seems strange to think that Stetson would drive such a hard bargain, only to be undercut by their own merchandise with an Adam logo.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Adam Executive "Fenway"

Actually, the lable under the sweat says Style: GRAD PTA, Color: FENWAY.

So unless chocolate brown is called Fenway in Adamland I'm guessing that sounds more like a model name.

It's from the Miller Bros era and my first guess was that this hat was from the 70's, but some things about it lead me to allow that it could be from the 60's. The lining is stitched rather than glued for one. The labeling looks older than the 70's. But you experts on Adam hats will no doubt be able to set me straight.

I'm also wondering if this lid started life as a pork pie. The snap down seems to want to snap up and the overall bash reminds me of a 'pie that's been grabbed by the front a lot.

SDC10225.jpg
SDC10214.jpg

SDC10211.jpg
SDC10212.jpg

So...do I get to join Adam Alley?? :p

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Just looking back over this thread the hat above looks like the one posted by rlk on page 7 called the Concorde and mayserwegener's Crosley on page 4.

I've had a change of heart on the lable - it looks like the colour is indeed Fenwick. Now - can we figure out what style a "GRAD PTA" is?

Incidentally, my local hatter told me that this hat could even come from the late 50's. So much for my original guess of the 70's.

What say you Billy??

billyspew

One Too Many
Brown sweat, transition logo, 55-58, probably more the end of that period.
I have one with the colour of Fenway too.
Grad is the model, but not sure what it is short for, the letters PTA I think is to do with the block. Don't suppose there's a price on the label too?

Bill

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
billyspew said:
Brown sweat, transition logo, 55-58, probably more the end of that period.
I have one with the colour of Fenway too.
Grad is the model, but not sure what it is short for, the letters PTA I think is to do with the block. Don't suppose there's a price on the label too?

Bill

Thanks for that Billy. Looks like my hatter was right about the age. It's in fantastic condition for a 50 year old lid. The quality of the felt and the overall manufacture is excellent too. This is my first Adam, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I've another Adam on the way - a woolen plaid stingy just for a change of pace. (What I really want is a broad brimmed, high crowned model from the 40's to wear with a my dark lawyer suits!).

As for a price tag, there's only the remnants of where the tag once was stuck to the sweat. So no help there.

Cheers
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav