Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventurebilt

thewolverine

New in Town
Hello,
I apologize if someone has addressed this.I could not find info after a few searches. I contacted Steve Delk a few months back and then sent a note but did not hear. I noticed they have a new site and know they are real busy, but I could not find a way to contact anyone via the website. I was looking hard at a beaver Indy Fedora. We also discussed the Obi Wan club. I wanted to re-establish contact and possibly get in the queue, whatever the waiting time. I appreciate any assistance.
regards!
michael

thewolverine

New in Town
Thanks for the reply. I could not find the contact email on the home page but a Google search gave me the ordering info. Not sure why there are no links/clicks from the main page...maybe it's my browser.
much obliged!

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
You just have to keep trying with the e-mails. He is very busy and says he only spends a little time each day checking them.:)

Ditto!!! Since early fall, it's become almost impossible to get hold of Steve. I had a question for him on the AB I have right now (I have another on order), and had to try 4 times. Finally, I put "FOURTH ATTEMP" in the Subject box, and got a reply the following night. He gets a ridiculous amount of email daily, besides working 12-16 hours keeping up with his hat orders, so just be patient. Steve has the greatest respect for his customers, they just have tyo wait their turn!

Regards, Andy

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
AlanC said:
To get in line you've got to pull the trigger with payment. Just Paypal him from the website.

I'll tell ya, I've been tempted looking at the pictures but in this day and time, I'm not paying for something I might receive a year later. I hope it works for him, but I just don't think that's a business model that's going to work over the long term.

citRon

A-List Customer
RockBottom said:
I'll tell ya, I've been tempted looking at the pictures but in this day and time, I'm not paying for something I might receive a year later. I hope it works for him, but I just don't think that's a business model that's going to work over the long term.

I agree with you...but those guys over at COW are literally lined up with a 1 year wait and a $300 price tag. Steve is even upping the price to mark demand for the new film, and momentum is gaining.
I would speculate, however, that at least a few of those orders may be cancelled as the 'frenzy' slows.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
citRon said:
I would speculate, however, that at least a few of those orders may be cancelled as the 'frenzy' slows.

I'm not sure what Steve's policy is on that, but you have to pay up front to get on the list. I've not read of anyone canceling; that doesn't mean it's not happened. I don't see the 'frenzy' slowing anytime this year with the movie release then the DVD. [huh]

For the record, I ordered one in June and while I'd be thrilled to have it in hand now, I'm willing to wait until Steve gets it done.

RBH

Bartender
I believe he started the pay up front to weed the less than serious hat buyer out.
Also hat size plays into it as well, the less common size usually means a block is freed up before a size 7 3\8 -7 1\2 is.
If he and Marc can get the production line started, it should ease the load up somewhat.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unless I am mistaken there are, in the works, plans for a factory made Adventurebilt rabbit / hare model to hopefully coincide with the films release. I think there are details over out COW.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
When contacting Steve, if you've tried 4 or five e-mails, try PMing on COW or posting on a thread that he's active on. Sometimes his e-mail filter kicks normal e-mail adresses.

I know that Steve has had orders cancelled for various reasons. Flat out impatience doesn't please him, because you should know going in that you'll have a long wait. But if you have a legit reason, like a sudden financial problem or something, he's very understanding. Also, the pay-first policy was born out of his desire to keep prices low. He wouldn't order a hat body unless he had a buyer. He's kept the policy to fend off those who aren't serious buyers.

The simple fact is, Steve is not the person to buy from if you can't wait 6 months to a year. He's catching up now, but his work for the film really messed up his times. He's taking all sorts of actions to cut down on backlog, and the website might not be accepting orders at the moment to avoid extra work from people he doesn't already know.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
AB

Not-Bogart13
The simple fact is, Steve is not the person to buy from if you can't wait 6 months to a year. He's catching up now, but his work for the film really messed up his times. He's taking all sorts of actions to cut down on backlog, and the website might not be accepting orders at the moment to avoid extra work from people he doesn't already know.

The hat is well worth the wait but in keeping with what Not-Bogart13 said, "Steve is not the person to buy from if you can't wait 6 months to a year".

I find the hat to be the most resilient hat I own...truly built for adventure!

It can be worn for dress but that is what my other hats are for.

And Steve is most certainly a man of his word.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
I just made a first payment on an AB. I am using the layaway that Steve offers which is great because I don't have all the money right now! ;)
I was told it would take 8 or 9 months to get the hat - plenty of time to save up!

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
I ordered mine 15 September. At that time, Steve hadn't been flooded with orders (it was JUST before the ordering boom that was brought on by the official Indy IV announcement), and was emailing and posting regularly. When he isn't swamped he's a wonderfully prompt communicator, and I can certainly understand his current time-management plight. It's been said (by Steve) that any orders placed prior to 1 December should be shipped in time for the premiere, I'm really hoping that holds true. I have one AB already, and I love it! As WeeGee said, it's a hat that works just as well for dress as it does for barreling through ancient tunnels, pyramids, and contemporary urban jungles. I have other hats to wear in the meantime, and $300 now is really no different than $300 later, if you have the cash to do it with. It's a long wait, no doubt, but I'm ok with that. You can also keep your eyes peeled on the Cairo Bizarre thread on COW, occasionally somebody will be re-selling an AB, new or used. And, as many have already said, it takes a helluva lot of use to make any big difference on an Adventurebilt!
Regards, Andy

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
WEEGEE said:
Not-Bogart13

The hat is well worth the wait but in keeping with what Not-Bogart13 said, "Steve is not the person to buy from if you can't wait 6 months to a year".

I find the hat to be the most resilient hat I own...truly built for adventure!

It can be worn for dress but that is what my other hats are for.

And Steve is most certainly a man of his word.

I agree totally. I have several fur felts, but I wear my AB 90% of the time. It's by far the most durable, comfortable and nicest lid I've ever owned.

If you order a custom hat from almost anywhere, I mean a truly custom, totally hand made hat, a 6 to 12 month wait is not unusual. Of course, that's easy for me to say. I"m just lucky I ordered mine over two years ago when the wait was only one month...KC

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I wish he would mention the waitnig list on his site somewhere

I placed an order and then found out after the fact - by reading FL threads - that I'm in for a long wait. He also doesn't seem to responded to emails with any regularity. It leaves me wondering of I should ask for a refund he's not the only "kid on the block" who makes GE fedoras after all.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Guttersnipe said:
It leaves me wondering of I should ask for a refund he's not the only "kid on the block" who makes GE fedoras after all.
Steve is the only "kid on the block" if you want the Indy hat from the new movie. Because of that fact Steve is very busy and even raised his prices to try and reduce new orders. In only 2 posts you asked about Adventurebilt and then seemingly denounce it. If you just want a custom fedora then yes there are plenty of others that can make you one and nice ones at that but they all take at least some period of time to make. It does take a few trys to get a hold of him by email but he will answer, but it is a long wait as he has a looong list of people waiting.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Does depend what you want.

Guttersnipe said:
I placed an order and then found out after the fact - by reading FL threads - that I'm in for a long wait. He also doesn't seem to responded to emails with any regularity. It leaves me wondering of I should ask for a refund he's not the only "kid on the block" who makes GE fedoras after all.

What you say is true. And there are other great Indy-ish hats out there- including the Herbert Johnson Poet which was the original (and can be obtained from Magnoli Clothiers in an improved version - there is a wait there for shipping overseas though- you can do a search to find his site- he's a local). [huh]

Certainly there are cheaper and good fedoras but it won't be blocked by Steve and it may or may not be 100% Beaver which matters a lot! But, if you want a hat that will stay with you for years and years and tough it out through rain etc without having to be re-blocked then go with the craftsmanship and wait on Steve. Or get something else now and contact him after all the hoopla dies down after the movie (probably an additional year). But his prices may also be higher as his time becomes more valued and demanded.

This argument goes for other things beyond hats, btw. Is it worth waiting 12 months and paying twice as much for a custom piece of furniture? Is having Sam Maloof's name on a chair going to make it more comfortable. Nope. Is a Delk or Fawcett hat going to make your head more comfortable than say, a quality Peters Brothers, Millers, or Stetson (vintage or otherwise). Nope. If you want a craftsman's hat, I suspect you know why and know why the wait is worth it. There are gobs of folks out there happy with Akubra's- I love mine. But it isn't the same thing as a fine beaver hat made by a man or woman you can talk to and who has the experience to listen - maybe it goes too far to say their's has a soul- but not too too far. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24