Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status of Thedi Leathers?

Sionnach

New in Town
Hi everyone. I lurk here and read all the excellent info and advice on leather. This is my first post so I ask for forgiveness if I break any rules. I don't think I have.

I wanted to ask if anyone has had any contact with Theodoros of Thedi Leathers lately, and if they are still in business? I cannot get anyone to respond to me despite multiple mails.

I purchased a jacket from Thedi in Feb 2022. When it arrived I could not raise my arms forward more than 45° from arms at side. That jacket didn't fit, so went back to Thedi. 4 or 5 months later in Oct 2023 I got a new jacket, and chest and arms were fine but body was very boxy. I thought the jacket would work if I wore it with layers. I told Theodoros it was fine.

Fast forward to Feb of this year (2023) and I decided I would get the body taken in so the fit would be perfect. Local tailors all understood how to do the alterations but I could not find anyone with a machine that could go through the horse hide. Nobody could do the work and the jacket would have to be sent abroad for alteration.

So instead I decided to contact Theodoros and arranged to return the jacket to him. I offered to pay for the alterations at whatever fee he wanted. I paid to ship the jacket back to Greece. He received it at end of Feb 2023. I was expecting just an alteration on the body, and I took more photos and sent measurements to show what was too big and what I was wanting done. Theodoros said the job was simple in principle but it would be easier to make a new jacket, which he would do because he felt he must. I was appreciative of his commitment but didn't / don't expect anything for free.

Anyway, fast forward to end Sept/Oct and I reached out to him asking for an update. I hadn't heard anything since he received the jacket in Feb. I've written four mails since then, about one a week, asking for an update on the status of the jacket. And I cannot get any reply. Even to tell me it isn't ready. So I was concerned something may have happened to the company, or that the order had been forgotten. I know Thedi is a busy vendor and things take time, but it's nearly been 8 months.

Hence I thought I would ask if anyone has any info they can share or has been in contact with Theodoros. At this point I would like to conclude our business, either with a jacket or with a refund. But this will require some communication first. Hoping someone can help with that.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I follow them on IG, and see he was abroad in the past few weeks at several different events. I'm sure its a busy time for him & his business. I would expect them to contact you at some point in the near futture.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Agreed. He and his family have been travelling (I understand they are currently in the US) to visit several trade shows.

This aside, it´s always irritating when small business owners go radio-silent over a certain period of time. It seems like such a small customer service feature to be responsive. I certainly am, travel or no (I don´t really see the issue in sending responses - even if they are just holding resonses - out of hotels, airline lounges etc.).

Mandarin

Practically Family
I recently received a jacket from him. It took 4 months to complete after I placed the order, which seems reasonable to me. I didn't ask for updates, he just notified me when it was ready. But I agree it must be annoying not to get any answers.

Sionnach

New in Town
I recently received a jacket from him. It took 4 months to complete after I placed the order, which seems reasonable to me. I didn't ask for updates, he just notified me when it was ready. But I agree it must be annoying not to get any answers.
I would just like to know status and what I can expect next. I've been waiting 8 months, but I am patient and can wait. What I couldn't understand was a lack of even a simple update message e.g. 'Not ready till November...' or something simple like that.

The silence made me worry I won't ever get a response, which made me want to check here to see if there's something I don't know.

OlGi

New in Town
Hi everyone. I lurk here and read all the excellent info and advice on leather. This is my first post so I ask for forgiveness if I break any rules. I don't think I have.

I wanted to ask if anyone has had any contact with Theodoros of Thedi Leathers lately, and if they are still in business? I cannot get anyone to respond to me despite multiple mails.

I purchased a jacket from Thedi in Feb 2022. When it arrived I could not raise my arms forward more than 45° from arms at side. That jacket didn't fit, so went back to Thedi. 4 or 5 months later in Oct 2023 I got a new jacket, and chest and arms were fine but body was very boxy. I thought the jacket would work if I wore it with layers. I told Theodoros it was fine.

Fast forward to Feb of this year (2023) and I decided I would get the body taken in so the fit would be perfect. Local tailors all understood how to do the alterations but I could not find anyone with a machine that could go through the horse hide. Nobody could do the work and the jacket would have to be sent abroad for alteration.

So instead I decided to contact Theodoros and arranged to return the jacket to him. I offered to pay for the alterations at whatever fee he wanted. I paid to ship the jacket back to Greece. He received it at end of Feb 2023. I was expecting just an alteration on the body, and I took more photos and sent measurements to show what was too big and what I was wanting done. Theodoros said the job was simple in principle but it would be easier to make a new jacket, which he would do because he felt he must. I was appreciative of his commitment but didn't / don't expect anything for free.

Anyway, fast forward to end Sept/Oct and I reached out to him asking for an update. I hadn't heard anything since he received the jacket in Feb. I've written four mails since then, about one a week, asking for an update on the status of the jacket. And I cannot get any reply. Even to tell me it isn't ready. So I was concerned something may have happened to the company, or that the order had been forgotten. I know Thedi is a busy vendor and things take time, but it's nearly been 8 months.

Hence I thought I would ask if anyone has any info they can share or has been in contact with Theodoros. At this point I would like to conclude our business, either with a jacket or with a refund. But this will require some communication first. Hoping someone can help with that.
Thedi is still in business, we met him in August during the holidays. Him, his daughter and Petros, his son in law were indeed a lot on travel (US, France, etc.).

I totally understand that it may be unsettling to you, but there is nothing to worry with Theodoros. He is a man of honesty and my guess is that available time is the issue.

AHP91

Practically Family
Lot of excuses for someone who’s held on a pedestal. I make sure to reply timely to people who are inquiring about my 50 dollar denim jackets for sale on eBay. Can’t imagine a business in the modern day and age which can’t bother to reply for over half a year for their products they sell at top of the line prices. I’d be pissed

I can only imagine the agony makers must feel having to make custom jackets for people who don't know how to size themselves. I almost think there should be some kind of qualification exam to place a custom order. No offense to the OP but it seems you weren't able to get it right in two attempts? If I were Thedi or any other maker I wouldn't prioritize your request. I completely understand being frustrated with a lack of comms but man....at a certain point, I think you should've just left it alone or tried harder to source the alteration elsewhere.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
In a way I agree with Ton - I spent a considerable time trying to really nail down my desired measurements before I felt certain enough to order a custom 700eu Aero. If I were to go for a custom 1,5k Thedi I would put even more effort to get as much info and certainty before contacting the maker and then thoroughly discussing with them. On the other hand I'm also aware of the approach of providing body measurements and trusting the maker to make all the right calls.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't see it quite like that, because the OP didn't ask for a remake, but wants to pay for the alteration, which should be simple. And even if the priority for this alteration is rated very low by the manufacturer, I would at least expect timely communication.
I think accepting an order and then disappearing into oblivion is not ok. He could have said he wasn't going to do it.

Mister Rivets

One of the Regulars
I've never met anyone as passionate about what they do than Thedi(Teddy)

Have you tried to contact him through social media??

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
he has to remake the jacket twice? since there is no photo involved in this thread I don't know how I should say about the situation, but man why would Thedi promise to remake the jacket again after being OK and used for a year, maybe out of frustration? especially after the leather used for a year, I suppose veg tan leather will distort abit with use and panels are not as straight as it used to be and there are creases going across the panels, altering these would be not as simple or clean as on a pristine jacket.

Taking in waist sounds pretty simple but in reality he need to divide and reduce all panels equally because if he just taking the side seam the jacket will pull weirdly or won't drape right, or depending on the style of the jacket it may even look "altered" for example the hand warmer might be too far to the side after alteration, perhaps as an artist he hates his jacket looks altered so he promised to remake but then it won't take priority.

rodgerrr

New in Town
I sent an email to Thedi Leathers late Aug/early Sept time frame and did not hear anything for weeks. Then around 1 Oct I received a reply from Theodoros saying that he was under Dr's orders to rest for a month - which I understood meant to stay away from his business. He gave me a quote and something like a 50 day turn time to make the jacket which I ordered. I gave him measurements and pictures which included me in another of his jackets I currently own. I just tried to contact him again and got no reply - which started to get me a little worried - good to read hear that he is travelling. Different than the way we go on vacation (with little computers that we open every day) Europeans really get away.

Squirrel_hero

Familiar Face
I can’t add anything to what’s already been said.

My only thought, is that it sure ain’t easy to make custom leather jackets. You have to be part artist, mind reader and therapist:rolleyes:
Theodoros in my opinion checks all these boxes! 100% agree it’s got to be hard! Total respect for the man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner