Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed! Tan suit and black shirt?

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
The idiots who run my company (into the ground, historically, as evidenced by going into Ch. 11 a year-and-a-half ago) have decided to make us dumb down our work attire.

I've worked here for three years, and during that time the dress code has been either A: black, collared shirt with khakis (at minimum), or B: dress pants, dress shirt, and coordinating tie. Myself, not wanting to look merely like some sort of slacker who just rolled out of bed, have long opted for the more formal, tie approach. However, they now demand we follow the slacker protocol...black shirt and khakis.

Not being one to give in to looking like a walmart shelf stocker or brainless store clerk, I am now looking into a tan suit of some sort. I like looking professional, but I am left wondering, can one wear a black dress shirt and tie with a tan/khaki/beige/brown suit without looking...bad (for lack of a better term at the moment)?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
well, just for color combination, you can have a look at this pic of Mr. Clooney to see if you like the way that works.

1678388.jpg

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
You can't argue with Mr. Clooney. The look certainly seems doable. I rarely wear a jacket to work, but I like to wear vests as a somewhat dressed down variant on a suit. Looks like I'll be buying a new suit in the next couple of weeks, though I had wanted a black suit.

Mav

A-List Customer
Hexenmeister said:
The idiots who run my company (into the ground, historically,
Seems to be a trend. I blame it on the MBA phenomona of the '80s. Nothing good came out of that decade, except for a few ZZTop albums and a brief rockabilly revival.

Strictly speaking, tan suits were traditionally reserved for those in the banking industry, with the rest of us donning charcoal or navy. However, the best fun you can have in the business world is beating the management pogues at their own game. If the dress code calls for a black shirt and khakis, I say, hell, yes- tan suit, black shirt, tie of your choice, and a hat. It's a fine look. The only real decision- making is in tie choice.

Maguire

Practically Family
Go for a black or dark colored tie i'd say. Thats what i would do in the situation. I'm sure there are more creative ways about it, but i'd just stick with that.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
My husband has a linen suit in a similar colour to Binky Beaumont's picture. He wore it to a wedding with a black cotton shirt and a black textured silk tie. I happen to think it is the best he has ever looked! Very do-able combination.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I detest black shirts, even on Nick's son...I remember Nick Clooney as a TV anchorman in Cincinnati when I was a kid, but I digress...

My wife bought a car Friday night from a local new car dealer. The uniform was black polo shirts, and khaki pants. These guys looked terrible...bellies hanging over, manboobs, wrinkled Dockers, they were a mess. One guy was fairly trim, had on pressed wool trousers and looked OK.

I also wonder about how well black shirts hold up to repeated washing without fading and really looking bad.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BinkieBaumont said:
"I Think Rosemary Clooney's nephew is making a big mistake,with that jacket , the colour is bilious, should be lighter or darker!"

Hey there Binkster! That Clooney look is one that I emulate quite often. My Krizia Italian suit is that same shade of brindle and suits my sallow palor quite nicely (thank you very much!) It's a good look on me, so says my wife! :p (LOL)

-dixon 'bilious' cannon

Chainsaw

Suspended
Best thing for black shirts et-cetera, is to get some dye from the local fabric store. If it's Black Polos, or dress shirts have at least three or four in rotation, always hang dry ( you don't need starch then, and it saves the threads, same with the khakis).

Every six moths you might want to put them in a tub and redye them, to keep them lookin' fresh. Keep in mind dye is expensive.;)

If your buying a Khaki suit, make sure you buy at least two pairs of the slacks, as they wear out faster than the jackets (good advice for any suit).[huh]

MisterGrey

Practically Family
It's not a bad look, but I think it's something that has to be taken on a case-by-case basis. It's one of those things that will just look good on some guys and not-so-good on others. At its best it's a smart modern fashion that defies tradition whilst establishing a "new classic." At its worst, you'll look like you're plotting to invade Poland.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Hexenmeister said:
The idiots who run my company (into the ground, historically, as evidenced by going into Ch. 11 a year-and-a-half ago) have decided to make us dumb down our work attire.

I've worked here for three years, and during that time the dress code has been either A: black, collared shirt with khakis (at minimum), or B: dress pants, dress shirt, and coordinating tie. Myself, not wanting to look merely like some sort of slacker who just rolled out of bed, have long opted for the more formal, tie approach. However, they now demand we follow the slacker protocol...black shirt and khakis.

Not being one to give in to looking like a walmart shelf stocker or brainless store clerk, I am now looking into a tan suit of some sort. I like looking professional, but I am left wondering, can one wear a black dress shirt and tie with a tan/khaki/beige/brown suit without looking...bad (for lack of a better term at the moment)?

Dont worry about the colors. Be part of the team. But instead of cotton khakis, get tailored tan trousers from a mens store like Brooks Brothers. A good quality fitted polo shirt, not a baggy sloppy one. Keep it tucked in so everyone can see your nice leather belt, matching wristwatch & polished shoes.

abhinav

New in Town
Hi, Hexenmeister.... Men's dress shirt color is the first thing that everyone notice and your choice of dress color will either help you look good or will make you blend in. When it comes to the combination with your tan suit, then I would suggest a white shirt, this keeps the look fresh and professional. Black or navy shirts with tan suits create too much of a contrast, you can save these shirts for your winter suits. A quick style tip will be wearing a white shirt and tan suit and pairing them brown shoes and brown belt.
Good Luck!

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
...I would suggest a white shirt, this keeps the look fresh and professional.

The shirt colour has been prescribed by the company.

Who on earth chooses black shirts with tan for daytime uniforms?! You'd have to be colour-blind or extremely style-unconscious. On the other hand, anyone with a superior attitude to Walmart stackers and 'store clerks' probably needs taking down a peg or two.

Speakeasy

Familiar Face
Are they imposing a 'black-shirt-only' dress code?

If not, I strongly recommend a pale blue or white shirt instead.

And, if you cannot deviate, then that dress code needs some serious rework.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
When I worked for Starbux many years ago, mid 2000's, one of our uniforms was khaki pants with black polos, there was another too, might have been black pants with black polo but I've rather deleted it from my memory.
It wasnt that bad, I mean shift leaders & baristas wore them, our asst manager & manager tended to wear dressier shirts/blouses with khakis but thats another story on attitude.

What I've found best for any dark color (blacks, purples, blues) is to get several, 4 or more if possible so as suggested you can rotate them, I've also found detergants without brightners or bleach, Tide used to make a dark color detergant, I use dark color bleach which Clorex makes but sometimes is hard to find in my market, YMMV. Hang to dry as much as possible.

When you first wash them use some white vinegar (I use store brand) in the place of softner or final rinse, it helps set colors. I learned that in the early 90s army to set our bdus color (woodland) before sending them off to be cleaned & starched.

By the time the color fade is noticable you could probably trash the item as many of todays cheaply made stuff is not made to last. Doesnt matter if its from wally world or brooks brother, todays clothes just dont have staying power for the most part unless its custom made or extremely high high end. I do have several pairs of black twill pants from Casual Male from 5 yrs ago that havent really faded much but I rarely wear them so rarely washed them, but I also tried setting their color with vinegar too.

Good luck, hope the company decides to change their dress code to something better.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
(snipped)
(snipped)

Since this part is being missed by respondents ;)... the OP doesnt seem to have a choice in colors if they want to retain their job it would appear. o_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21