Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on new A2 jacket

JCAN

New in Town
Congrats! Wear it for many years to come!

Re the snap-button: Why don´t you e-mail Eastman directly about that and hear them out. My experience with them is that they are very good on customer service. They may just send you a new pair of button/snap that you can have a local cobbler attach for small money if and when the old one should fall off eventually.
I actually gave Eastman a call and visited the reseller today :). Since I still had all the parts, the reseller is going to check if it can be fixed without new hardware. Otherwise they will reach out to Eastman for hardware (although Eastman pointed out that the jacket will need to be shipped to them to fix it... understandable, but a bit of a hurdle). Anyway, I love the jacket and wore it as much as possible before handing it to the reseller just a few hours ago.

Can't wait to have it back... even with the 5 degrees C. I had no issues regarding warmth. I will also probably never snap the collar anymore and just keep it unsnapped. I even like that look better :).

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I actually gave Eastman a call and visited the reseller today :). Since I still had all the parts, the reseller is going to check if it can be fixed without new hardware. Otherwise they will reach out to Eastman for hardware (although Eastman pointed out that the jacket will need to be shipped to them to fix it... understandable, but a bit of a hurdle). Anyway, I love the jacket and wore it as much as possible before handing it to the reseller just a few hours ago.

Can't wait to have it back... even with the 5 degrees C. I had no issues regarding warmth. I will also probably never snap the collar anymore and just keep it unsnapped. I even like that look better :).

Unsnapped is the way to go unless you are actually in an open top plane and need to prevent the collar from flapping around...;)

Eastman take customer service/repairs seriously, in my experience.

I had a zipper issue once (on the "Slender" too) and reached out for spare parts. Gary himself absolutely INSISTED on him doing the repair free of charge. I was hesitant as I didn´t want to part with the jacket, but relented.
End of story: Gary was unsatisfied with the repair and completely remade the whole jacket at no cost. I swear this is what happened.
I share this story because Eastman are by no means cheap, especially not after raising the prices in the last few years. But there is a real value that you get out of them too, not only in the quality of the finished garment but also regarding custimer care etc.

JCAN

New in Town
Unsnapped is the way to go unless you are actually in an open top plane and need to prevent the collar from flapping around...;)

Eastman take customer service/repairs seriously, in my experience.

I had a zipper issue once (on the "Slender" too) and reached out for spare parts. Gary himself absolutely INSISTED on him doing the repair free of charge. I was hesitant as I didn´t want to part with the jacket, but relented.
End of story: Gary was unsatisfied with the repair and completely remade the whole jacket at no cost. I swear this is what happened.
I share this story because Eastman are by no means cheap, especially not after raising the prices in the last few years. But there is a real value that you get out of them too, not only in the quality of the finished garment but also regarding custimer care etc.
Yeah I like that a lot. Says a lot about the dedication of the brand towards their products. The only unfortunate thing is the shipping costs... I've seen that it would be relatively expensive for me to ship the jacket to the UK (within a reasonable time at least). Ah well, maybe it is not even needed, the jacket is still at the reseller right now. Hopefully it will be ready soon :).

JCAN

New in Town
Today is a good day. Got a call that my jacket is ready, of course I picked it up right away. Can't be happier that it is back already in all its glory! And yes, I prefer the collar unsnapped :), I will keep it this way.
backagain!.png

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Today is a good day. Got a call that my jacket is ready, of course I picked it up right away. Can't be happier that it is back already in all its glory! And yes, I prefer the collar unsnapped :), I will keep it this way.
View attachment 388447

Great! Would have been quite the bummer to have that sent back to UK. Fits perfect on you!

JCAN

New in Town
I really want to love this jacket, but I seem to be very OCD on all small issues that I can find. There was this scratch/fold that was there since the beginning that is now on my agenda. It was there when I bought it and I cannot expect it to have happened in the store, so perhaps the hide got stuck/folded somewhere during production.

The darker color is from a colorless shoe polish that I used to moisture the leather there a bit (as I am afraid it will be easier for the jacket to tear at that place when the leather gets dry). Would you say that this is overreacting or should I treat that spot with something (I know, new jacket and all and being overly careful)?
fold1.png fold2.png

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
That spot looks like nothing to worry about. They're pretty tough Jackets.

I've done worse to my Repro G-1 Jackets and lived to tell. A cut, nick or scratch here or there... Just let the jacket tell a story over time with the wear and tear. The patina will take a few years, you'll notice one day all the character starting to appear.

Those cuffs!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo