Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hooked on jackets? Why?

Xopher

A-List Customer
I wanted to start a post about something not quite in the standard range of conversation here, but is definitely jacket related.

Years ago in college I used to cruise the Eastman website day dreaming about buying one of their jackets. A broke college kid lucky to scrape together $20 at any one time, the $1200 for an Eastman seemed impossible.

I kept coming back to the Fedora lounge daily and reading about B-3s and A-2s and zippers and how to determine that date of vintage jackets. Reading reviews on other jacket makers, Gibson and Barnes, US Authentic, Aero. This was in the days before the new mid tier brands.

Eventually I bought an Eastman, and then another one, and then some 1930s vintage Zippers as things to leave on my desk and fiddle around with while procrastinating. And then a Bill Kelso jacket shows up, and then another one, followed by a 3rd Bk jacket, and a Good Wear on the roster.

And yet, after having purchased over the past decade all of the jackets I have been eyeballing online for years. I catch myself going back to the Eastman , Aero, and Bill Kelso websites to look at the jackets……That I already OWN!

This leads my to my question. Why?

I literally have a pile of my dream jackets sitting in front of me, and I wear them all regularly.
So why do I find myself going back to the websites looking for more, or at the very same ones?!

Is this the sign of a hobby gone awry?

Is it just years if a habit now on autopilot?

Addiction?

The manifestation of a coping mechanism? Something else that’s bugging me or lacking that I’m missing?

Is it just the intense power of marketing?

Why!???

Does anyone else experience similar?

Thanks gang

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Just human nature. Thinking can't out think thinking itself, it's just more thinking, we are our own biggest enemies, also human nature. When in doubt, go for a walk or run to clear the mind. Walking and running is always free, and good for health. Or push ups, might look douchey in the office but whatever...

Observe

One Too Many
Just because you can (buy another), doesn't mean you should. There's a fine line between collecting and something more pathological.

suitecasehandler

Familiar Face
And yet, after having purchased over the past decade all of the jackets I have been eyeballing online for years. I catch myself going back to the Eastman , Aero, and Bill Kelso websites to look at the jackets……That I already OWN!

This leads my to my question. Why?

I literally have a pile of my dream jackets sitting in front of me, and I wear them all regularly.
So why do I find myself going back to the websites looking for more, or at the very same ones?!
It's not super clear to me - are you buying them? Looking at them to buy? Have you bought them since?

Xopher

A-List Customer
It's not super clear to me - are you buying them? Looking at them to buy? Have you bought them since?
I’m not buying duplicates or anything lol. So I guess it’s not that I’m looking to buy them again.

My first high end jacket was a seal brown ELC B-6. I’ve been wearing it for probably 8 years now. It’s great, but still every now and then I wonder back to their website to look at it there.

I dunno, maybe I miss the thrill of the old days when I first pulled the trigger on it and it showed up being amazing and new.

I’d never had something that expensive, and extra attention to detail like that before. Hell the packaging and garment bag it came with was even impressive. They made their first impression a good one

Xopher

A-List Customer
It’s because leather jackets are like crack. Actually, I think a full on crack habit would be cheaper
You ain’t kidding!!!!

Your post made me ponder the value of the jackets I have. I just realize I probably have $8k wrapped up into the 5 or 6 top tier jackets I wear regularly. 2 Eastmans, 3 Bill Kelso, and a GW on the way.

Makes my knees weak…..I need jacket rehab

KBlake

One Too Many
Your plight is common in these parts. That being said, lots of people have hobbies and interests that are expensive. Cars, golf, motorcycles, watches, skiing. These are a few examples of hobbies that aren't cheap. Why not jackets? I have a regius and an aero on the way that I'm very excited about. Enjoy!

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
I guess for me, they are like wearable artwork. I find nice leather jackets beautiful to look at. So many options, with each one being unique in appearance. There is also the intoxicating aroma of a new jacket, with each hide having a unique fragrance. Part of the thrill is finding a great fit, and there aren’t many things I purchase in life that actually get better with age and use(If I’d hang onto them long enough). I’m attracted to things that require being looked after. One of the highlights of motorbikes, jeeps, guitars, etc. is to spend time maintaining and learning. I look forward to giving my jackets attention when needed, and I love the fact that there is a sort of intimate connection with something you wear and appreciate on the daily. I generally feel better about life when I’m wearing a favorite jacket, and I suppose the random compliments feel pretty good too. I’m “cool leather jacket guy” at a couple of businesses I frequent, and that’s pretty fun. I think I’m finally in a place where I’ve tried so many different jackets, I know what I like and may achieve some measure of contentment soon. Probably not, though.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
Your plight is common in these parts. That being said, lots of people have hobbies and interests that are expensive. Cars, golf, motorcycles, watches, skiing. These are a few examples of hobbies that aren't cheap. Why not jackets? I have a regius and an aero on the way that I'm very excited about. Enjoy!
I once knew a couple who had invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in old weird clocks. I never understood it, but to them it was fulfilling. I know several folks who collect firearms, and those certainly aren’t cheap. Guitars are the worst for me.. Luckily, my wife is my guitar rehab and I’m down to a handful.

I once knew a couple who had invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in old weird clocks. I never understood it, but to them it was fulfilling. I know several folks who collect firearms, and those certainly aren’t cheap. Guitars are the worst for me.. Luckily, my wife is my guitar rehab and I’m down to a handful.

Does handful mean 38? It does for many here.

zebedee

One Too Many
I now have ten Aeros and a Simmons Bilt. I have one Rogue Territory Supply Jacket, one Pike Bros. Deck Jacket and a Carhartt Detroit. I also have three tailor-made overcoats and a Jermyn Street raincoat.

I have about fifteen pairs of shoes and boots, more than a third of which are handmade.

Ironically, for months on end, I can live in a pair of William Lennons and one Aero. At work, I tend to wear smart clothes all the time, on a rotation. At home or when travelling, I look as if I care relatively little about my appearance, apart from jackets and shoes.

I acquired all of these things over about twenty years. It's been a long-term thing, but I now have too much stuff. I have stopped myself buying things now, and I reckon at least a third of my purchases were unnecessary. Thank the Lord I have no interest in watches or cars...

Jackets call to me mainly because I can really rough it in one for a long time. I can, I have, but I seldom do, so now I have all these .... possessions. At least I now force myself to get wear out of them: the trick is to limit yourself to a few jackets or boots for a few months at a time. I once went minimalist with just one overcoat, one aero and three pairs of footwear for a year. It was oddly liberating.

Last edited:

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I think you’ll find many people here have gone thru or are currently collecting other things as well. I thinks it’s one of two things. 1. A base need for acquiring things, squirrels and nuts, for a sense of security. 2. A distraction from the awareness of the ridiculousness of our existence. For me a little outta column 1 a little outta column 2. I’m happiest when i don’t think about it.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have liked jackets since I was 15. I am 65 now. Must be in the genes or something. I don't know why. I just think they look cool. On a 15 yo and a 65 yo.
Me too. When I was 16 I spent all of the money I saved that summer working for my Uncle in Iowa on a Filson double mackinaw. Considering the fact that 32 years have passed and I still have that jacket I would say it was money well spent!
I identify with everything the OP mentioned though, I have caught myself drooling over a new jacket only to realize that I already own that jacket…

Aloysius

Me too. When I was 16 I spent all of the money I saved that summer working for my Uncle in Iowa on a Filson double mackinaw. Considering the fact that 32 years have passed and I still have that jacket I would say it was money well spent!
I identify with everything the OP mentioned though, I have caught myself drooling over a new jacket only to realize that I already own that jacket…

My earliest 'still in rotation' jacket is also from when I was 16. I guess it makes sense. By that point most of us are essentially the size we're going to be, so if it's something solid there's no reason you'd get rid of it.

The "only to realize that I already own" thing happens to me more with shoes than with jackets. I put away most of my shoes during Covid, so I have a number of quite nice shoes and boots sitting in the basement. It makes no sense for me to buy shoes, considering I have those!

MrProper

It makes no sense for me to buy shoes, considering I have those!
Different colours, different details ;)
I have 5 pairs of trail running shoes. Same model, different colours. Several Nike Air ... different models, different colours... 3 x moc toes, different colours, different leather, boots... can you have enough shoes? lol

Likewise, if I like something, I don't just want to have one of them (except for my love ;))

moktabe

One of the Regulars
Relatively new to this wormhole compared to some here but not sure if I could find the way out of it!
Two main passions are cars and clothing and during the Covid lockdown most of the time was spent on the internet and not sure exactly how but found this forum.
Hours and hours of searching revealed clothing makers that made the style of clothing I like i.e 40's and 50's style.
My first 'decent' leather jacket was a Schott A2 bought from a UK supplier and although it was ok, with me being a bit of a perfectionist the fit wasn't 100% right for me.
Learnt so much from this place about manufacturers and different leathers as in my eyes leather was just that....leather.
With living in the UK I'm only a few hours drive from Aero so as soon as we were out of lockdown I went up to order a Windward and ended up also ordering a Sheene. Up there again next month to collect jacket No7 and order an AN-J-4.
One of the reasons I keep to going to them is that they've nailed my fit to perfection.
There was me, thinking I'd be happy with just one.....yer, ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner