Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on Tailoring Jacket

Klaus A

New in Town
I am new here but anyways, I have 1950s tweed jacket (ok not a suit but guess it belongs here) that fits me fine except that the sleeves cover my shirt cuffs. I was thinking of having them shortened by tailor. Is this a good idea? I am not sure if this would be expensive. The long sleeves bother me somewhat as my other jackets fit properly.

Klaus A

New in Town
Thanks! They are not working cuffs but I have never taken something to be altered before so did not know what to expect.

chalkstripe

New in Town
if you're going to get something done by a tailor for the first time, I try to test out the tailor first with a jacket or pair of pants that might not necessarily be expensive or a vintage piece. given this is a garment from the 50s, you might want to play it safe and bring in another coat. of course, this is based on the assumption that the quality of the tailoring could be mediocre.

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I have a similar issue in that I have no idea how to find a good tailor. I've never had anything tailored before (other than hemming/cuffing pants, but I just have that done where I buy them), and don't know people in my area that would know about such things, and I don't really have any jackets that I don't care much about to try out with. I do have a couple suits that could stand to have the sleeves shortened by about a quarter to half an inch, but I'm not really sure what to look for.

Rachael

A-List Customer
you may have some luck checking with a local dry goods shop. I used to work at a local shop, and we had a file of tailors/dressmakers whose work we had seen and knew we could trust.

of course, with all things, caveat emptor. Maybe pick up a suit coat at goodwill as the sacrificial lamb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff